Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

The most popular tabletop RPG attributes

Ismaul

Thought Criminal #3333
Patron
Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech A Beautifully Desolate Campaign My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit.

Rilmani404

Novice
Which RPG had Mana as a stat? I understand why Magic, Soul, Aura and so-on are more common, but I figured Mana would have a decent amount of popularity.

I suppose my favorite stat on the list is Resolve. I’d use it like Edge in Shadowrun, an ability which could be spent or burned. I like Cypher System’s ability score mechanics which work a bit like that. Recently I’ve gotten interested in Fading Suns (the newest one) and hope to see how exactly Victory Points work with their roll-under system.

spectre

Arcane
So, the original question was what's your favorite attribute? I'd say chutzpah.
How many systems even recognize this one? I think I can vaguely recall Paranoia, or was it one of its derivatives?
Lagole Gon's super cool EXPERIMENTAL 8 attribute system:

Strength
Endurance
Agility
Awareness

Intelligence

Willpower
Intuition

Charisma (Character? Personality? Presence?)

Lagole Gon's super cool EXPERIMENTAL 7 attribute system:

Strength
Endurance
Agility

Reason

Awareness
Charisma

Intuition

Lagole Gon's super cool EXPERIMENTAL ALTERNATIVE 6 attribute system:

Strength
(Brawn?)
Agility

Reason
Awareness

Character
Intuition

I... I can't decide.

crazyrobot.gif
crazyrobot.gif
crazyrobot.gif
Which one to pick? I'd say put it to the test by trying to characterize RL or fictional characters and draw conclusions.
If it feels one iteration can meaningfully highlight similarities but also account for differences between characters, that's the one to pick.

Intuition seems to be your pet stat. Care to elaborate on it? What does it do to a character, what are its derived stats, governed skills, if any?
How do you think it describes a person. What would be a high intuition guy? And vice versa (Or, think in terms of archetypes, what's
the go-to cultural archetype for this stat). Might help you cull some stuff from the list. I mean, I can see myself eyeball a guy and easily say:
that's one strong motherfucker; or, that's one charismatic motherfucker. But: that's one intuitive motherfucker?

NecroLord

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck
So, the original question was what's your favorite attribute? I'd say chutzpah.
How many systems even recognize this one? I think I can vaguely recall Paranoia, or was it one of its derivatives?
Lagole Gon's super cool EXPERIMENTAL 8 attribute system:

Strength
Endurance
Agility
Awareness

Intelligence

Willpower
Intuition

Charisma (Character? Personality? Presence?)

Lagole Gon's super cool EXPERIMENTAL 7 attribute system:

Strength
Endurance
Agility

Reason

Awareness
Charisma

Intuition

Lagole Gon's super cool EXPERIMENTAL ALTERNATIVE 6 attribute system:

Strength
(Brawn?)
Agility

Reason
Awareness

Character
Intuition

I... I can't decide.

crazyrobot.gif
crazyrobot.gif
crazyrobot.gif
Which one to pick? I'd say put it to the test by trying to characterize RL or fictional characters and draw conclusions.
If it feels one iteration can meaningfully highlight similarities but also account for differences between characters, that's the one to pick.

Intuition seems to be your pet stat. Care to elaborate on it? What does it do to a character, what are its derived stats, governed skills, if any?
How do you think it describes a person. What would be a high intuition guy? And vice versa (Or, think in terms of archetypes, what's
the go-to cultural archetype for this stat). Might help you cull some stuff from the list. I mean, I can see myself eyeball a guy and easily say:
that's one strong motherfucker; or, that's one charismatic motherfucker. But: that's one intuitive motherfucker?
Yeah.
Intuition or gut feeling. In other words,a very insightful and wise motherfucker with a very strong "sixth sense".
Someone who knows when to act and when to stand down,or even predict the outcome of certain actions.

spectre

Arcane
The dictionary definition is beside the point, because everyone (I assume) knows what it is. I was asking how it fits as a character-defining parameter and there will noticeable differences between characters of low, average and high Intuition, and what's the difference between a char with Intuition of 5 and a char with an Intuition of 6. Sometimes it's easy to fall into this trap of putting something on a scale, but it's more of a "you have it or you don't" thing, i.e. trait or perk.

Lt Broccoli

Educated
Favourite Attributes from your list hands down:

Lust
Position
Bonk
Hand
Face
Vigour
Smell-Taste
Purdiness
Talking Trash

Norfleet

The dictionary definition is beside the point, because everyone (I assume) knows what it is. I was asking how it fits as a character-defining parameter and there will noticeable differences between characters of low, average and high Intuition, and what's the difference between a char with Intuition of 5 and a char with an Intuition of 6.
Obviously, the answer is that a character with an Intuition of 6 still passes their Intuition Check on a roll of 6, whereas the character with a 5 fails it, because his skill is not enough.

NecroLord

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck
Way I see it:
Strength - You want to be able to punch or chop someone's head clean off. Also carry a lot of shit without being encumbered.
Dexterity - "Gotta go fast!" Also reaction time and overall agility.
Constitution - Poison, Disease? Haha, no! Also overall health and physical fitness.
Intelligence - You want to know how to read, write, do math and complex astrophysics while the party barbarian is busy wrecking faces.
Wisdom - You want to understand the whole picture and not be lied, manipulated or mind controlled.
Charisma - You want to be a smooth talker and charm your way into that hot tavern wench's panties.

Trithne

Erudite
A while back I did a hack of West End Games' D6 system for personal use, the stat spread I ended up going with there was:

Reflexes
Coordination
Physique
Knowledge
Willpower
Charisma

Basically merging Str and Con from the classic spread, and separating Dex into two - One for fine motor skills and one for more full-body reactions.

Norfleet

Strength - You want to be able to punch or chop someone's head clean off. Also carry a lot of shit without being encumbered.
Dexterity - "Gotta go fast!" Also reaction time and overall agility.
The main issue with linking Dexterity with speed is that F=ma is a thing, so strong people can also move very fast.

Norfleet

So the result of this is that it becomes relegated to coordination and reaction...but only in the sense that you're immediately aware that you're about to be punched in the face: without the strength to accelerate out of the way, you can't actually do anything about it. So you have high inititiative order, with which you probably get to wait until someone else goes first, otherwise you will be in front, getting punched in the face.

Butter

Arcane
Patron
Wisdom and Intelligence have never been sufficiently differentiated, and Wisdom is frankly a shite attribute in general.

Faarbaute

Arbiter
Wisdom and Intelligence have never been sufficiently differentiated, and Wisdom is frankly a shite attribute in general.
I always liked the inclusion of both Wisdom and Intelligence, mostly for the reason that I like their accompanying stereotypes.

A while back I did a hack of West End Games' D6 system for personal use, the stat spread I ended up going with there was:

Reflexes
Coordination
Physique
Knowledge
Willpower
Charisma

Basically merging Str and Con from the classic spread, and separating Dex into two - One for fine motor skills and one for more full-body reactions.
I tried merging Strength & Constitution for a homebrew system, but it over-values the stat. It also has a granularity problem where something can't be physically resilient/healthy without also being musclebound. For overall elegance, I really like how Arcanum's stats are conceptualized. I think they could have utilized them a bit better, but it's still a great setup. Only Beauty suffers from being a bit too narrow.
Physical
Cerebral
PowerStrengthIntelligence
ResistanceConstitutionWill
ProwessDexterityPerception
AppearanceBeautyCharisma

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom