Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

The multiverse beckons you riftwalker. How will you answer its call?

Monty

Arcane
Have to agree with CappenVarra, it must be worth checking out the corpse and alien machinery.

C1X

Kz3r0

Arcane
C)...take route BLUE
1)...check out the corpse and the machine wreck.
Z)...operating the laser cutter turned into a support weapon.

Oh and as for the image of the strip mine IMMERSE yourself and imagine it is covered in more grass and some trees. Oh and that it is a bit deeper so the RED and BLUE paths take you along the edge of the pit.

Congratulations to Hellraiser for making a proper RPG.
:troll:

Running Fox

Educated
Queued
We dont even know how much our lazor pistol is worth against the dudes...
Operating the lazor cutter is like being the machine gun nest and asking for it...
Why are we even attacking...

C)...take route BLUE, deploy the ad hoc lascannon at the machine wreck.
2)...observe the camp site from the southern vantage point. Maybe you will see something new.
X)...storming the main tent with Osterhagen. He could use your expertise in CQC. (aw yeaaaaah, x won already, lets doooo iiiit, LEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEROY JEEEEEEEENKINNNNNS!!!)

skuphundaku

Economic devastator, Mk. 11
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex 2013 MCA Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Divinity: Original Sin 2 My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit.
I think that deploying the lascannon at the machine wreck is the best idea because the wreck itself can be used for cover, thus making the lascannon a harder target to destroy. If the Lemurians don't have any indirect fire weapons, the cover offered by the wreck may make our improvised gun nest neigh-invulnerable. Verdict: C)

That was the easiest choice. Now, the second choice depends on multiple factors, including the third choice: If we decide to delegate Jurgen to man the lascannon, and given the fact that Jurgen has already proven himself to be quite inept operating complicated equipment, we need to train him, otherwise he may kill us before he kills any Lemurians. So, if anything but Z) is chosen for the third choice, then the choice #2 NEEDS to be 4). Now, having Jurgen man the cannon would afford us more tactical freedom, so I think it would be a good idea. Now, the options left for choice #3 feel a bit wrong to me. I think that having Heracles act as a decoy wouldn't be the best idea because it would tie up a valuable asset and a third of our available firepower. But that doesn't mean that a dumb frontal assault on the Lemurian encampment is the only other option. We can actually use the lascannon to draw the Lemurian's fire, in effect having our heavily entrenched lascannon act as the decoy. While they are focused on that, our main force, including the laspistol-wielding Heracles and Osterhagen (choice X)), would flank them and go straight for their command tent: battlefield shaping and Schwerpunkt motherfuckers!

However, I'm intrigued/slightly confused by the way choices #1 and #2 are presented. Chosing C) doesn't imply that 1) will happen automatically? The same for B) and 3) or A) and 2)? I am asking because, while the B)/3) and A)2) pairs aren't that intriguing, the C)/1) pair is. The thing is that Heracles noticed some light being reflected by something near the machine wreck. We know that Wirtz's team had 7 men. 4 are dead, 1 is alive, 2 are unaccounted for. Maybe one of the unaccounted for ones is a corpse visible from the southern vantage point, maybe both are. However, at least one of these 2 may still be alive and keeping an eye on the Lemurians using a pair of binoculars or a sniper scope from the machine wreck. There's little chance that the reflexion Heracles noticed was anything but the sun reflecting off some kind of optics used by a survivor. If there is, indeed, a survivor at the machine wreck, then he may be the most skilled combatant of Wirtz's team given that he's the only one resourceful enough to have avoided capture. Also, there are 50/50 chances that the optics he was using weren't just a plain-old pair of binoculars but the scope of a sniper rifle. That kind of weapon would mean a significant boost to our attack force. Now, where I am going with this is: If we chose to take assault route C), won't we also discover all the information that we would have discovered if we scouted using option 1)? We are taking the exact same route, so I think that C) implies 1). It would be quite weird to overlook the sniper hidden in the machine wreck because we haven't chosen 1) while, at the same time, setting up a gun nest in the same machine wreck.

So, if for some weird reason, stuff that would have been discovered by choosing 1) can't be discovered in the course of choosing assault route C), then my final choices are C)1)X). Otherwise, the superior choices are C)4)X) because it means that the lascannon won't be manned by a complete moron.

skuphundaku

Economic devastator, Mk. 11
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex 2013 MCA Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Divinity: Original Sin 2 My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit.
Your assumption is correct, the same things can be discovered if the attack route and scout location are identical. Assuming none of them move.
OK, given this new information, I think that the fact that what Heracles saw was a member of Wirtz's team is nothing short of certain. But the "moving" part is even more interesting. So, if we scout first, we'll manage to find the guy and he may be armed and very useful during the attack. If we don't scout first, because he has no idea we're coming, he'll try to get away from the mine because he couldn't do anything on his own, the result being that we won't find him at the machine wreck when we get there, so we won't be able to integrate him into our assault plan. If we're going to use the lascannon more as a distraction to draw the fire of the Lemurians, than as an offensive weapon (which it's not really well suited for anyway), then having Jurgen do his best, without any training would be worth it if we find a badass with a sniper lasrifle and information of how the Lemurian attack went down. Given all of this, my final choice is C)1)X)... let's just hope Jurgen doesn't kill any of us because of his idiocy.

Hellraiser

Arcane
2.5. I want to be a Sturmmann

Once again you head out of the camp. This time you make your way towards the corpse you saw earlier. Finding a “stealthy” path down the slope of the strip mine was not easy but you think you weren’t noticed.

The dead Ahnenerbe engineer lies before you. You turn the rotting corpse over, it isn’t Wirtz who the Lemurians killed here but some engineer. The wounds look like caused by a lasrifle. You found nothing useful on his corpse, just a structural scanner but you have no need for more than one.

The machine wreck is somewhat visible from where the corpse is. For a brief moment you think you saw a flash, one similar to that from a mirror reflecting sunlight or from a lens. The flash appears again between the twisted metal of the wreck. Before you even realize it, you are hit in the right upper-arm with a short and powerful laser beam. You drop the engineer's structural scanner to the ground and start running.

The no doubt Lemurian sniper tries to hit you a few more times but the foliage and tree trunks make it difficult. Well it could have been worse, if your team walked blind into his line of sight you would suffer heavy losses. You are surprised the Lemurian didn’t just fire a longer pulse which could no doubt cut you in half. Maybe trees were blocking his line of sight and he didn’t want to waste fuel on them?

Back at the camp Osterhagen is not please to say the least, “How could you walk into his line of sight like that? At least we know we will have to avoid the more exposed parts of the mine. Now we will adjust route blue to hide from his scope.” Your wound is patched up, however the pain you experience when holding even something as heavy as your laspitol with it is unbearable. Unluckily you have no painkillers around. It looks like you will be firing it left-handed, a handicap to say the least. The team moves out, you have a Lemurian sniper to take care of.

You can see the sniper hiding between the wreckage. His rifle looks like it is made from a similar material to the one from which neural probe was made. There is a communications device next to him. While it is similar to the one the other Lemurian back in “Chimera City” was using, it is plugged into a large apparatus. Possibly a portable trans-parallel antenna. Osterhagen is waiting behind a tree nearby. Your job is to shoot at the Lemurian, thus keeping him distracted, while Osterhagen flanks his position. With that arm of yours, it is unlikely you would be able to kill him without the Sturmbannführer’s help.

The green beam of light cuts through a tree near the Lemurian. Startled, the armored übermensch grabs his gun and takes cover behind a metallic beam. He is holding the enormous lasrifle steadily with one hand, as if it was a light hollow plastic fake. Yet that weapon fires in your direction cutting down a nearby tree with a long pulse. You start running.

The titanic soldier moves in to try to shoot you again, Osterhagen fires a beam at his back. The armor gets scorched a little but the Lemurian appears unfazed. He turns his attention to your leader while you continue firing at him. All you manage to achieve is staining his armor with a bunch of dark scorched holes. Damn metamaterials, why didn’t they give you a vest made of those?

Finally Osterhagen gets a lucky shot, he hits the sniper in one of the scorched fragments of his suit. They can’t take more than one shot in the same place on the armor apparently. The Lemurian falls to the ground, it looks like Osterhagen’s shot burned through his flesh eventually hitting his spine. The paralyzed soldier crawls using one of his hands while trying to shoot you with the other. Fortunately the position he is in greatly decreases his firing accuracy. Combined fire from both of your laspitols ends his life.

“Well, we will study this device in detail when we get it back to the base. Lemurian devices are hard to come by,” Osterhagen smirks when looking at the communications post the sniper set up. “The laser cutter has been deployed sir!” Jürgen reports, he better have not screwed up again. You pick up the lemurian lasrifle, its organic structure is impressive but biometric locks prevent you from using it. Hopefully the Ahnenerbe will be able to figure out how to bypass them eventually.

Everyone is in place, the distraction team stands ready while you and Osterhagen are at the other side of the perimeter. Jürgen fires his DIY lascannon at the Lemurian guarding the truck, unfortunately he hits the tire instead. The guard runs behind the truck while shouting something. One other Lemurian runs out of the tent and hides behind some unloaded metal crates.

The beam of the laser cutter strikes the crate thus burning a fairly large hole in it. The Lemurian behind it panics and tries to retreat. After many failed shots Jürgen hits him with a long pulse burning right through his armor. If it was a bit longer, the young engineer would most likely cut the enemy soldier in half, from his head right down to his groin.

The other soldier who was behind the truck, attempts to run to the aircraft they came in. Jürgen however tries to kill him but he keeps missing. The Lemurian boards his craft and attempts to take off. As the white-blue glow of his anti-gravity engines appears, a laser beam pierces through the craft’s hull causing a minor hydrogen explosion. The craft continues to burn after it manages to gain some altitude, clumsily it flies north. For a moment you think you saw a small red flash near the craft. A trans-parallel transmission maybe?

You storm the tent, the sole Lemurian inside charges at you. You try to shoot him but you miss, this makes you wish you were left-handed. Osterhagen hits his armor a few times but both you and him get punched by the titanic soldier. He shoots you in the leg, the same one that was broken a few months back. This has to be a curse, you think. Next time you will requisition some painkillers when you get back. Assuming you get back, then again there is only one Lemurian left.

Osterhagen is being beaten into a bloody pulp, you can barely see his face under all the blood on it. Regardless you start firing at the Lemurian again as soon as point the pistol in his general direction. One shot almost hit Osterhagen instead but another burned through a damaged part of the armor. The giant groans from the pain, you aim for the damaged part of the suit once again. He falls to the ground, his body lies atop of the Sturmbannführer.

There will no doubt be an inquiry into what has happened here. Still you did manage to get Wirtz and two other engineers out of there alive. The rest of his team is dead, your team suffered no casualties fortunately. Despite the wounded arm, discovering that sniper proved beneficial. As you exit the tent you see the other Lemurian aircraft gathering in the sky. A flat blue vortex appears shortly afterwards, in an instant the Vimana appears in the sky once again. It launches several other craft. Before you even manage to start thinking about how bad this situation just became, something else appears.

An orange rift, one as big if not bigger than a dreadnought, appears almost next to the Vimana. That what emerges from a distant parallel using it, is an unusual yet elegant geometric form. Five pyramids, four smaller ones with a large one in the center. All mathematically perfect, with seamless edges and surfaces. They are connected to the central pyramid via a series of circular tubes, a white-blue light glows around the tubes and under the quintet of pyramids. Their black metallic surface is as dark as the empty void of space itself.

In an instant, the pyramid-craft fires at the Vimana. The cruiser tries evasive maneuvers but it gets hit with kinetic projectiles and laser beams. Smaller point defense beams of the unknown vessel strike down the Lemurian fighters as if they were mere flies. The Vimana is hit with what appears to be the main gun of the much larger pyramid ship, it explodes into millions of tiny pieces. Sadly there will not be much to salvage and reverse engineer. At least you are alive. The unknown vessel transits out of this parallel almost as suddenly as it appeared in it.

The trial is over, you yourself were obviously found to be uninvolved in the transmission that lured the Lemurians. Ajax wants to see you, he isn’t pleased that “Der Riese” almost got discovered but he thinks you did your job well under the circumstances. At least in the past few weeks the wound on your arm fully healed. Thule AG tissue cultivation technology surpasses that available in Atlantis, Ajax is indeed a medical genius.

During the trial you have testified that…
A)…Osterhagen was to blame for the accident, he ignored protocol.
B)…Jürgen’s handling of the machine caused it to broadcast the signal, it was his fault.
C)...the machine activated by itself, nobody could have expected that so nobody can be blamed. They have no evidence to prove otherwise.

Vote now.

Next update will be a bit less action-packed. But you will see some consequences surfacing. Too bad all the Lemurian crafts ended up salvageable, the Reich is losing so much useful technology recently. Well you got the sniper lasrifle and the portable communications post.

If only Jürgen would have gotten some hints, maybe he would have killed that pilot before he got into the craft and flew away. Yeah some unnamed team members would have died. But what do their lives mean compared to anti-gravity?

:troll:

Monty

Arcane
Great update.

Tempted to vote A, but I think our smuggler would prefer to have someone in authority owing him a favour, which could turn out to be useful in the future. So voting C.

Kz3r0

Arcane
We should avoid to attract the hostility of other officers, and this is what would happen with A, and to piss off the higher authorities with fairy tales, that would be C, so let's stick to how the real world works, let's the little guy take the fall:
B)…Jürgen’s handling of the machine caused it to broadcast the signal, it was his fault.

CappenVarra

phase-based phantasmist
Patron
Fuck it, A. Dude's already a disgraced loony and is missing a single nail for his coffin - I say we provide one. His ship is sinking, and covering for him won't stop it - but might keep us on board while it sinks... No go.

oscar

Arcane
I'm in a few minds here.

Morally:

- Osterhagen did push for this to try and get credit and given that I would be all for slamming him
- However he fought by our side bravely and honourably. He also took a pretty hard beating from that Lemurian so it's not like he'd be escaping unpunished for his incompetence
- Jürgen was just following orders. Don't think we're in dire enough straits to justify blaming him.

Politically/Self Interest:

- We don't have a fucking clue if it would be in our interest to defend or testify against Osterhagen
- I'm guessing no, as he was already on thin ice and this is likely the last straw.
- I would be quite concerned that we're dealing with some Soviet-style court system where it's "denounce or be denounced" however by the fact we haven't been given a 'holiday' I'm guessing we're safe

I'll hear a few more arguments before voting.

Unwanted

Kalin

Unwanted
Dumbfuck Zionist Agent
It would seem unwise to anger Osterhagen's prestigious benefactor, and since Osterhagen will most likely blame Jürgen for (mis)handling the machine, it would seem reasonable to back him up.

B) - Jürgen needs to take one for the team.

Hellraiser

Arcane
Well fuck, I knew I should have closed voting when I checked the topic at 10 a.m.

Alright then, B wins if nobody else votes C within the next 6 hours. :troll:

EDIT: the time is up, expect the update tomorrow.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom