Official Codex Discord Server

  1. Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

    "This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.
    Dismiss Notice

The multiverse beckons you riftwalker. How will you answer its call?

Discussion in 'Choose Your Own Adventure Land' started by Hellraiser, Feb 10, 2012.

  1. skuphundaku Economic devastator, Mk. 11 Patron

    skuphundaku
    Joined:
    Jul 27, 2008
    Messages:
    2,248
    Location:
    Rouge Angles of Satin
    Codex 2012 Codex 2013 MCA Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Divinity: Original Sin 2
    A) Maybe there's something left. Having the investiagtion done by both Heracles and Roth is the best option: at least one of them may notice something of interest, especially given that they have different fields of expertise.

    Trying to reactivate the automaton there could be a BAD idea. Trying to activate it anywhere but in some remote underground bunker on New Schwabia could prove to be a BAD idea.
     
    • butthurt butthurt x 2
    ^ Top  
  2. oscar Prestigious Gentleman Arcane

    oscar
    Joined:
    Aug 30, 2008
    Messages:
    7,642
    Location:
    NZ
    Well his usual career has been disrupted by the fact there seems to be a four-way interdimensional war going on. And as the Nazis and Ajax are the only ones who don't seem to be wanting to blow our brains out we might as well stick with them.

    No one seems interested in spying on Ajax for Himmler.
     
    ^ Top  
  3. Hellraiser Arcane

    Hellraiser
    Joined:
    Apr 22, 2007
    Messages:
    8,596
    Location:
    Danzig, Potato-Hitman Commonwealth
    At the moment, it's more of a war between Lemurians and their enemy with a bunch of factions caught in the middle and lots of covert rather than overt activity going on. And even then, there isn't a whole lot of fighting going on in the immediate area from what you can tell. If it was, Ajax wouldn't say that the ship you saw confirmed what he was thinking. Then again considering he is your only source on whatever is happening around, he might be lying. Heracles has been out of the loop for over 5 years after all.

    You're not stuck with the nazis, you just need to be smart about when and how to ditch the Ahnenerbe and the Führer's society of mutual admiration. If you want to that is.

    I said too much at any rate, even if some of it seems obvious.
     
    ^ Top  
  4. Stygian Lurker Scholar

    Stygian Lurker
    Joined:
    Jan 28, 2011
    Messages:
    577
    A) Maybe we can find something useful.
     
    ^ Top  
  5. Hellraiser Arcane

    Hellraiser
    Joined:
    Apr 22, 2007
    Messages:
    8,596
    Location:
    Danzig, Potato-Hitman Commonwealth
    Four votes for A. Voting is now closer, expect the update by tomorrow evening.
     
    ^ Top  
  6. Hellraiser Arcane

    Hellraiser
    Joined:
    Apr 22, 2007
    Messages:
    8,596
    Location:
    Danzig, Potato-Hitman Commonwealth
    I'll bump this because it will make it easier for everyone if the update is on the next page. Yes it is done already, turned out outside factors prevented me from using the desktop and thus playing ToEE, and since I already did my work I could write it sooner.
     
    ^ Top  
  7. Hellraiser Arcane

    Hellraiser
    Joined:
    Apr 22, 2007
    Messages:
    8,596
    Location:
    Danzig, Potato-Hitman Commonwealth
    2.8 On the trail of men and machines

    Grass, nothing but kilometers of grass in front of you. At the very least the vehicle operative Eichel is driving, is relatively fast. Although one could question the logic of using a vehicle in a parallel that still believes that nothing is faster than a horse. “The nearest natives are on the coast 30 kilometers from here,” the driver explains, “the odds of being spotted are very low. Even then, what are the odds that anyone will believe them, let alone that they will tell what they saw to a non-Reich operative?” Rather low you guess.

    “We detected their arrival nine days ago, the rift was bigger than that made by a standard personal RGM. We sent a team to investigate, it took them about a day to find where they set up camp.” The edge of yet another forest appears on the horizon as Eichel keeps talking. “It was hidden inside of that forest, there were a few tents made to look like native ones. The android was guarding them most likely, he was the only one outside when the team decided to attack.”

    The former camp site is littered with the remains of tents. A tree fell on one of them, it was no doubt cut down by a stray laser pulse judging by the scorched marks on it. You and Roth start searching the area.

    “This is a waste of time if you ask me,” the operative complains, “you should have looked for the missing scout instead.” You will be the judge of that, they may have missed something after all. And if they did you and Roth will find it. Although you may have just studied the automaton yourself, somehow you doubt Ajax will tell you what they learned about it. After all he keeps being rather vague and secretive about what all of your assignments are to involve.

    “They were right, there are absolutely no suspicious organic traces of anything around here. The weather and microbes did their work it seems.” Organic traces? These weren’t Lemurians, there must be something artificial around that could help you identify the mysterious group.

    Somewhere between the grass, you notice a piece of cloth. It is smaller than a fingernail, most of it looks burned. A piece of clothing cut off by a lasrifle perhaps? You scan it.

    The cloth looks natural but it is not. The scan’s results indicate it is made out of synthetic textiles, sophisticated ones at that. It has the look of a natural one, but it is more durable and protects from the elements better you guess. The tents were made out of the same material your scans tell you.

    You look around a bit more. Under the tent smashed by the tree you find a wooden box. It is a fine example of excellent craftsmanship. Carved out in its side are scenes from mythology. One of them in particular draws your attention. A multi-headed beast and two men fighting it, one of them holding a burning torch. Heracles, Iolalus and the Lernaean Hydra no doubt. There is nothing inside of the box, but you decide to inspect it more closely anyway.

    It must have taken somebody weeks to make it. It looks fairly knew, definitely not like an ancient artifact. The paint’s colors are still very vibrant for one. There is a small and barely noticeable text written on its underside. “Occasa Ceasarea , MMDCCLXIII Anno Urbis Conditae.” You have no idea what that means, however it is safe to assume that this object must originate from a parallel visited by the unknown party. For one as far as you know, the remaining users of the Latin alphabet in this parallel, if there are any left that is, are too busy maiming each other with crude iron weapons to be interested in something as sophisticated as this. You take the box with you and head back.

    *

    The crate has been opened in the restricted basement area of the Thule AG tower. “An intriguing find to say the least.” – Ajax says as he gazes upon the human-like machine. “How did they make that hair? Truly a masterpiece in its own right.” For some reason, you do not share Maximilian’s fascination with the automaton. As much as they made it look human, it will always be a thing. A dangerous thing at that, one capable of betrayal and cold brutal actions.

    “This will be very useful, I wonder if it is sentient or if it just has behavioral algorithms that make it seem alive. A miniaturized QMCP could prove useful if it uses one.” His musings are becoming even more disturbing with every sentence. Does he want to learn how to detect and “kill” its kind easily? Or does he want to make more of them, only branded with a microscopic Thule AG mark on their quantumtronic circuitry?

    “I will send it to a suitably equipped lab. You on the other hand Mr. Kyriazis, are free to do as you wish. Your findings have been rather beneficial to the Ahenenerbe, you deserve a rest. However, if you want to of course, I would be glad if you would consider one of the other assignments I told you about a few days ago. Once the situation clarifies a bit, in two week maybe more, I may find another assignment for you. If you won’t be busy with something as important that is.”

    *

    Roth is out reading papers on artificial tissue manufacturing, he seems to be fascinated with the subject. His enthusiasm and curiosity reminds you a bit of yourself, back before Styx showed you the multiverse and for what the Atlantean government really stood for. He’s young after all, and once he experiences the multiverse for what it truly is, his naiveté will be a thing of the past you think.

    You yourself have done some discreet digging of your own, only on the subject of the wooden box. “Western Ceasarea, 2763rd year from the founding of the city.” The city in this case, means Rome. The weltnetz Ahnenerbe database provided you with some clues as to its origin. There is one nearby parallel where Latin isn’t a dead language - βδ-6. Industrialized, although only fairly recently. The average slack-jawed savage there still thinks the steam engine is a most amazing and incredible device. Occasa Ceasarea on the other hand, is a city located more or less where Neu Port and its analogs are. Getting there won’t be hard.

    You are still considering what to do next. There is no rush after all and Ajax did say you are free to do as you wish until he contacts you. This involves transiting to wherever in the multiverse you want to, as long as you report back in time that is.

    You will…
    A)…travel to δγ-1. Find the team and steal some top secret Atlantean tech. How hard can it be?
    B)…travel to γω-6. No weapons needed? Could be very safe or extremely risky, but smuggling is your second nature after all.
    C)… travel to αδ-38. You plus a few well-armed soldiers against an army of Sentinel Chimeras and the odd Lemurian? Better odds then the last time you were there.
    D)…travel to βδ-6. Whoever the people who made that automaton were, they definitely visited that parallel.
    E)…travel to ω-38. It is likely that the automaton’s “masters” went there after all.
    F)…study as much of the Ahnenerbe weltnetz database as you can. You have two weeks and information is power.

    On the subject of the wooden box, you…
    1)…gave it to Ajax.
    2)…gave it to Ajax, but told Osterhagen about it.
    3)…gave it to Osterhagen. Didn’t say a word about it to Ajax.
    4)…kept its existence secret. They do not need to know about it or that the mysterious faction was in βδ-6 at some point.

    You told that the mysterious faction, uses a specific type of synthetic textiles made to look like natural ones for their disguises, to…
    V)…nobody. It is best not to share this knowledge, for now.
    X)…Ajax.
    Y)…Osterhagen.
    Z)…both of them.

    Roth will…
    I)…go with you wherever you will go. His assistance may be needed.
    II)…stay at the Reich homeparallel until you return.

    Vote now.

    Consult the known information about the various nearby parallels post for details if needed.

    Before you ask, you didn’t say anything about what you found to Roth. Obviously he knows you took the box, but you didn’t share any information regarding it with him.

    I have no idea if that Latin is correct. If it is not, blame it on the language getting bastardized over 1500 years. :troll:
     
    • Brofist Brofist x 2
    ^ Top  
  8. Monty Arcane

    Monty
    Joined:
    Mar 24, 2012
    Messages:
    1,582
    Location:
    Grognardia
    B)…travel to γω-6. No weapons needed? Could be very safe or extremely risky, but smuggling is your second nature after all.
    3)…kept its existence secret. They do not need to know about it or that the mysterious faction was in βδ-6 at some point. [you have two '2's at the moment here, so I guess this option may change to '4']
    X)…Ajax.
    I)…go with you wherever you will go. His assistance may be needed.

    Interesting choices opening up. The synthetic textile is more 'vague' as a clue than the box so might be worth finding out if Ajax has encountered it. Tough choice between βδ-6 and γω-6 but would like to check out γω-6 before diving into the automaton worlds.
     
    • Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  9. Running Fox Educated Queued

    Running Fox
    Joined:
    Mar 24, 2012
    Messages:
    328
    Location:
    K-278, БЧ-2
    You will…
    D)…travel to βδ-6. Whoever the people who made that automaton were, they definitely visited that parallel.
    - party time

    On the subject of the wooden box, you…
    4)…kept its existence secret. They do not need to know about it or that the mysterious faction was in βδ-6 at some point.
    - need to know basis =P

    You told that the mysterious faction, uses a specific type of synthetic textiles made to look like natural ones for their disguises, to…
    V)…nobody. It is best not to share this knowledge, for now.
    - well...

    Roth will…
    I)…go with you wherever you will go. His assistance may be needed.
    - lets see if it can dance
     
    ^ Top  
  10. Kz3r0 Arcane

    Kz3r0
    Joined:
    May 28, 2008
    Messages:
    24,596
     
    ^ Top  
  11. Hellraiser Arcane

    Hellraiser
    Joined:
    Apr 22, 2007
    Messages:
    8,596
    Location:
    Danzig, Potato-Hitman Commonwealth
    Bros, the next update will be sometime next week (Monday or Tuesday most likely). I will need to travel around a bit so I won't have time to write it this week. So feel free to over-analyze,vote or flip-flop until I get back.
     
    ^ Top  
  12. skuphundaku Economic devastator, Mk. 11 Patron

    skuphundaku
    Joined:
    Jul 27, 2008
    Messages:
    2,248
    Location:
    Rouge Angles of Satin
    Codex 2012 Codex 2013 MCA Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Divinity: Original Sin 2
    B)…travel to γω-6. No weapons needed? Could be very safe or extremely risky, but smuggling is your second nature after all.
    4)…kept its existence secret. They do not need to know about it or that the mysterious faction was in βδ-6 at some point.
    V)…nobody. It is best not to share this knowledge, for now.
    I)…go with you wherever you will go. His assistance may be needed.
     
    • butthurt butthurt x 2
    ^ Top  
  13. Hellraiser Arcane

    Hellraiser
    Joined:
    Apr 22, 2007
    Messages:
    8,596
    Location:
    Danzig, Potato-Hitman Commonwealth
  14. Hellraiser Arcane

    Hellraiser
    Joined:
    Apr 22, 2007
    Messages:
    8,596
    Location:
    Danzig, Potato-Hitman Commonwealth
    2.9 Quo vadis Hercules?

    "I look like my great-grandfather in this." Paul comments as the two of you prepare to transit to βδ-6. He should be grateful you could get any clothes resembling the local fashion there. Anything less would attract too much attention. At the very least the clothes are comfortable despite being rather old.

    *
    A dirt road leads into the city. Farmers and other unsophisticated pass by you when you are traveling along. Most of them are using various types of carts and wagons. Some are pulled by horses and mules, other by human slaves. The sound of a steam locomotive can be heard somewhere in the distance.

    The city itself is filthy, chimneys keep puffing out smoke while coal dust, dirt and horse manure litter the streets. You and Paul try to avoid stepping into some of it, however you cannot avoid the awful smell and air pollution. The architecture around is not what you expected. Most buildings are pieced together from mass produced concrete prefabs giving them a very bland look. The obvious exception to this rule are of course the houses of the local upper-class and public institution buildings.

    Paul translates some of the signs around the city for you, it is a good thing they taught him some Latin at the medical university. "Buy Isaac's revolvers! Guaranteed to kill filthy thieves, rebellious slaves or unwanted missionaries! Only 23 solidi!" Guns? You have no need for primitive firearms.

    "Craving women or men, maybe something exotic or with more than one person? The Coitus Maximus has it all! 20% discount for republic legionaries and mariners, come and enjoy what we have to offer in the port!"

    "Candles? Gas lights? Outdated nonsense all of it! TASTE THE FUTURE, USE ELECTRIC LIGHTING! Yes, the newest achievement of modern science is now available in Caesarea! Inquire within the JUPITER POWER COMPANY offices, Via Augusti XIX." At least they have electricity, this reminds you that you will need to leave your filtering unit in a relatively deserted location.

    Another one is written partially in Chinese, the Latin text below it is a poor translation. "Shanghai Trading Company, the finest goods from the Orient! Tea, porcelain, silk, jewelry. Visit our store in the Port district." That doesn't sound very appealing, the Chinese are one of the things you rather avoid if possible.

    "Red Galleon Wine. The true patrician's wine! " At least now you know what the "sophisticated" natives drink.

    "Will the superhuman Cassius the Bull end another foe's life? Or will his career come to a bloody end? WATCH HIM FIGHT EVERY VENUS DAY AT THE CAESAREA ARENA. Tickets available for 85 nummi." Venus Day is tomorrow according to what the Ahnenerbe database said.

    "The spectacular CAESAREA ELECTRIC STREETCARS now travel from the Port, through the Forum, all the way to the Factories! Tickets cost a mere 15 nummi." It looks like you are not doomed to walk on foot everywhere after all. Now if you could only acquire some local currency first.

    "Cheap rooms to rent! Via Galicia XVIII A."

    "Need a drink or a bed for the night? The house of Liber is what you seek! Via Augusti XLII."

    "Haulers needed, paying 35 nummi a day. Contact Israel Pera at Warehouse VII."

    "Protect the city streets, the Vigiles are in need of able-bodied men! Join today!"

    "So what will we do now Heracles?" - Paul asks, obviously unsure of what to do now himself. Getting some local currency could be a good idea. Although you are unsure whether you should actually earn it by hard work, rather than just mug somebody or break into a house.

    There is also the wooden box, naturally you brought it along with you. Perhaps somebody will be able to tell you who was its previous owner.

    Maybe you could try contacting the local government, sell them some technology perhaps. The container is still where it was after all, sure you told the Ahnenerbe interrogators about it but you never told them its precise location. Even if it was gone, you could try contacting one of your old suppliers. Assuming you can pay them with something first.

    Regarding the subject of money, you will...
    A)...assault somebody in a back alley and steal from him.
    B)...break into a store at night.
    C)...break into an apartment at night.
    D)...join the Vigiles.
    E)...haul stuff for Israel Pera.
    F)...try to sell the wooden box at the Forum.
    G)...do nothing.

    You will hide the filtering unit...
    1)...in the Port.
    2)...in the canals.
    3)...in the river that flows through the city center.

    After hiding the filtering unit you will...
    I)...try contacting the local government regarding a business proposal.
    II)...investigate the matter of the wooden box in the Forum.
    III)...investigate the matter of the wooden box in the Port district.
    IV)...visit the local library.

    Later, if you acquire some local currency, you will...
    V)...watch the fight at the local arena. It sounds entertaining.
    X)...visit the "Coitus Maximus" brothel. Hopefully they'll have decent cheap whores.
    Y)...buy a newspaper and rent a room at "The house of Liber".
    Z)...buy a newspaper and rent a room at Via Galicia XVIII A.


    Vote now.

    And here I hoped you wouldn't bring Paul along and Heracles would derp around with a german-latin dictionary in his hand.
     
    • Brofist Brofist x 2
    ^ Top  
  15. Kz3r0 Arcane

    Kz3r0
    Joined:
    May 28, 2008
    Messages:
    24,596
    D)...join the Vigiles.
    2)...in the canals.
    IV)...visit the local library.
    V)...watch the fight at the local arena. It sounds entertaining.
     
    ^ Top  
  16. oscar Prestigious Gentleman Arcane

    oscar
    Joined:
    Aug 30, 2008
    Messages:
    7,642
    Location:
    NZ
    On the work front, 35 nummi a day sounds like chump-change if a revolver is 23 solidi. I'll go for the Vigiles, even if it likely a bit more dangerous. D

    2, cuse I dunno lol
    I, hey no reason we can't make a nice profit while working for the Krauts
    X, time our boy got some action
     
    ^ Top  
  17. CappenVarra phase-based phantasmist Patron

    CappenVarra
    Joined:
    Mar 14, 2011
    Messages:
    2,621
    Location:
    Ardamai
    A 3 III V

    Mug some fat bastard using superior technology and the stealth generator, while teaching young Paul a valuable lesson about life in the multiverse; change the pattern of RGM refueling a bit; ask around the port - less official attention that way, and more smuggler bros to get along with; Cassius the Bull smells like a clue about androids and/or superhumans - and if not, we can always go full retard and challenge him to a fight. A proof-fool plan if there ever was one.
     
    ^ Top  
  18. Hellraiser Arcane

    Hellraiser
    Joined:
    Apr 22, 2007
    Messages:
    8,596
    Location:
    Danzig, Potato-Hitman Commonwealth
    What stealth generator? You never chose to get the optical camo suit (you picked marksmanship training and the laspistol). Hell, you don't even have a stun rod anymore (a slight "punishment" for not telling that Ahnenerbe officer anything about Lemurians when Heracles got caught).

    Current inventory:

    Heracles: Structural Scanner, Adaptable Tools, Reich Heavy Laspistol, Reich Combat Knife, Wooden Box
    Paul: Reich Medical Scanner, Reich First Aid Kit, Reich Combat Knife

    For obvious reasons, Paul's stuff works the same way that its Atlantean equivalents do. The combat knife isn't as good as one made of adamantine but it's still better than a regular steel one.

    Paul's CQC skills are lacking as is his marksmanship.

    Oh and you brought some food and drink with you along with some spare native-like clothes.

    For convenience's sake 100 nummi=1 solidus.
     
    ^ Top  
  19. Monty Arcane

    Monty
    Joined:
    Mar 24, 2012
    Messages:
    1,582
    Location:
    Grognardia
    B 2 II Y

    Breaking into a store seems more our style and potentially more lucrative than slaving away for a pittance in the militia. With our previous high-tech smuggling expertise I'm sure we've circumvented sophisticated security systems in the past, and this is early-electricity age after all.
     
    ^ Top  
  20. CappenVarra phase-based phantasmist Patron

    CappenVarra
    Joined:
    Mar 14, 2011
    Messages:
    2,621
    Location:
    Ardamai
    Oh yeah, thanks for the inv. Still, sticking to my vote :)
     
    ^ Top  
  21. Stygian Lurker Scholar

    Stygian Lurker
    Joined:
    Jan 28, 2011
    Messages:
    577
    D)...join the Vigiles.
    2)...in the canals.
    III)...investigate the matter of the wooden box in the Port district.
    X)...visit the "Coitus Maximus" brothel. Hopefully they'll have decent cheap whores.
     
    ^ Top  
  22. Hellraiser Arcane

    Hellraiser
    Joined:
    Apr 22, 2007
    Messages:
    8,596
    Location:
    Danzig, Potato-Hitman Commonwealth
    Alright D/2/III won however we still have a tie between V, X and Y.

    The next person can vote for either V, X or Y. What he picks wins. If nobody votes or flip-flops before 8 p.m. GMT on sunday, V) will win because it got 2 votes before the rest.
     
    ^ Top  
  23. Arpad Educated

    Arpad
    Joined:
    Jan 27, 2012
    Messages:
    248

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.