Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

The multiverse beckons you riftwalker. How will you answer its call?

Cassidy

Arcane
1) I knew it was a bad idea all along to stick any further after getting the leg patched. Time to head as far away from this parallel and also from Atlantis as possible.
B) Seriously, the man was partly responsible for this and all the torture would be handy to attempt making Heracles mindfucked enough to sign up such a proposition without any dissent.

Stygian Lurker

Liturgist
You will work for Ajax and the Reich by…
3)…by sabotaging Atlantean operations in Atlantean parallels. You will become an Ahnenerbe infiltrator and saboteur.

At the very first chance to leave this parallel you will…
A)…do wherever Ajax wants you to go. He saved your life and offers you immortality, you guess you can forgive the Reich all that torture and the “free vacation” in New Swabia.

Unwanted

Kalin

Unwanted
Dumbfuck Zionist Agent
3)
A)

Running away at this point would be unwise, they seem to be able to travel between parallels and probably know about the stash. Better to work with Ajax for now, the rewards certainly sound promising.

CappenVarra

phase-based phantasmist
Patron
Lemurians, eh? Oh well...

Undecided on the vote, since there is no diablerie option...

2) + A)* (play along for the time being, then fuck off fast after gaining some info that might give us an edge that Atlanteans or Lemurians might be interested in enough not to shoot us on sight)

Hellraiser

Arcane
And it looks like 2A has won. Voting is closed.

In case you wanted to know, what the subtle hints concerning where Ajax might have been were:

Right before meeting the Lemurian...

You only noticed one corpse along the way just on the southern edge of the city center, it was a man dressed in casual attire, armed with a military knife and carrying a now broken and useless tablet device with a logo showing the letter “Z” surrounded by a plus and minus sign inside a circle.

Although I didn't expect anyone to actually recognize that logo before seeing it again on the business card Cortez gave Heracles.

Also in the background for the Blitzregen logo on the pill bottle, was a rift similar to the one from the Ajax Rift&Medicine logo in the very first newspaper. Thule AG is obviously the manufacturer of the drug, although that minor detail would be mentioned later, after Heracles would have heard about Thule from elsewhere.

The ban on travel to αδ-45 wasn't a direct hint but it was an obvious cover up of the invasion from the Reich homeparallel.

If you didn't get caught within less than 24 hours since arriving in the Nazi-occupied parallel, you would have gotten some more obvious ones. Like Heracles getting asked what he knows about quantum computing hardware, which is the main product of Zuse Computers, during a job interview. Eventually Heracles would make the mistake of saying "...it's from Germany?" which would lead to him getting corrected because "the Reich" refers specifically to the Reich homeparallel while Germany is synonymous with the German occupied territory.

Also depending on with who you would end up speaking to, somebody would say that he never expected Nazis to invade from a parallel dimension. All of which would lead to the more obvious hint of "how did a civilization, which developed computers and atomics less than a century ago, end up with portable rift generators?". Also you would slowly learn more of the importance of "Thule AG" and technology it "developed".

If you encountered any of the three general conspirators, they may have given you some insight into Ajax's fate, quite a lot of it if you would manage to persuade them. Not to mention some other things, former high ranking military leaders from Atlantis would have known of. Also there were/are other signs of Reich activity in some nearby parallels.

Cassidy

Arcane
You only noticed one corpse along the way just on the southern edge of the city center, it was a man dressed in casual attire, armed with a military knife and carrying a now broken and useless tablet device with a logo showing the letter “Z” surrounded by a plus and minus sign inside a circle.

pledege_dees.jpg

I KNEW IT!

Hellraiser

Arcane
Part II: A deal with the devil.

2.1 Once an Engineer, always an Engineer

If you are to make the most out of obtaining eternal life, it would be best not to risk your life too much. Joining the Ahnenerbe as an engineer seems like a good choice, at least you won’t have to worry about Lemurian, Atlantean or native agents catching you. “A wise choice Heracles”, Maximilian tells you, with a certain degree of satisfaction noticeable in his voice, “your formal education in the field of mechanical engineering will no doubt prove useful. I can assure you, your talents won’t be wasted. I think you will find your work most interesting.”

So what exactly are you supposed to do now? “I will now call for a soldier, just follow him to the elevator. He will tell you where you need to go.” Ajax explains. “Once you arrive at your destination, you will undergo training, once the training is complete you will receive further orders and a proper briefing concerning the project. Before you go I must tell you one thing, Atlantis’ existence is a well guarded secret in the Reich, do not discuss it with low rank Ahnenerbe personnel or anyone outside of the Ahnenerbe. This shouldn’t be a problem at the base, since everyone has könig level security clearance there, but once you leave it remain discreet.”

The office door opens and the summoned soldier tells you to follow him. “I hope we will meet again Heracles, do not disappoint me.” - Maximilian tells you as you leave his office. Security looks tight in the Thule AG building, the elevator you just entered required biometric authorization, whatever Ajax is doing here seems to be of strategic importance. The elevator ride downwards is rather long, it the soldier is taking you somewhere deep underground. The elevator door opens, you walk down a long corridor before finally arriving in a large open chamber.

It looks like a cargo depot, in the middle of it you can see a platform with containers on it, there is also a long underground road leading outside. “Step onto the platform, trans-parallel transit will be initiated in a moment. I assume you are familiar with the necessary safety precautions?” – the soldier asks you. Naturally you confirm that you do know them. Soon the rift opens and the platform moves towards it before transit begins. The other side looks similar, it is another underground facility.

An officer walks towards you, he begins to introduce himself. “I am Oberführer Fuchs, as of today I am also your direct superior. You and the others will answer to me. Now come with me, there is much to discuss.”

Two months later…

The high-ranking military personnel stationed in the compound still distrusts you, however it looks like the Oberführer is satisfied with your performance. He has clearly noticed that Ajax was right about sending you here, your expertise on advanced machinery is superior to that of the other “recruits”. Furthermore your combat skills are decent, although you did need to work on your aim a bit. You know little about the base itself, you are not yet allowed to access the surface level, although you had some contact with the “grunts” acting as security.

You have yet to meet engineers other than the “recruits” you were training with. The specifics of the project Ajax was talking about are not yet known to you, however you do know it involves reverse-engineering advanced technology. That is after all the main job of the Ahnenerbe engineer corps, to safely study, recover and reverse-engineer advanced technology from other parallels. Mostly Atlantean technology, but you guess the Reich does study Lemurian devices here. Today your training ends and you will be briefed on the project.

Fuchs is standing in front of a display’s screen, he begins his briefing. “As you know we are working on an important project in this facility. The project is called Die Glocke, while this facility is known as Der Riese.” The Bell and the Giant? You are unsure what the link between them is, although they could be just random codenames.

“You see this parallel”, he continues, “while mostly covered by trees, houses the remains of an about 400 years old outpost of an advanced civilization. Its real name is unknown to us, so we simply refer to it as civilization X. We are unsure whether this civilization was human or not, all we do know is that it most likely was not native to this parallel’s earth. Most of the outpost was destroyed, however we managed to recover some mostly intact devices or parts of them. One of them was the device we based Die Glocke on, it is an experimental anti-gravity device.”

Anti-gravity was discovered by an unknown advanced civilization? You can now understand all the need for secrecy, even Atlantis does not possess that kind of technology. And if other devices like that are around, then having other parties like Atlantis or Lemuria learning of this could prove catastrophic for the Reich.“Tomorrow each one of you will be assigned to one of three groups”, Fuchs explains, “you will help in analyzing and retrieving machinery left by civilization X. Each group will investigate a different site. All expeditions will last at least a week, possibly more if you find something of interest. We will call for more supplies if the expedition will need to be extended, and if a proper camp site will have to be established.”

Site A is located to the west, traveling there should take about 14 hours on foot. Seismic scans indicate there are some artificial subterranean structures there. It is located deep in the forest so getting there will be difficult. Fuchs will lead the team assigned to that site. Fuchs, while strict, seems to respect you and believes that you are competent. Like you he is also a mechanical engineer, he specializes in robotics.

Site B is located to the south, it is about 9 hours away from here when traveling on foot. Scouts reported that they found some artificial structures and remains of infrastructure there. While it is not far, the local wildlife may be a problem. Herr Osterhagen will lead the expedition team. You heard he is a bit of a loose cannon. His field of expertise is theoretical physics. Apparently he helped design “Die Glocke” but is no longer working on it.

Site C is located in what appears to once have been a strip mine to the east, there is even an old road leading there. This allows you to travel there using a proper vehicle, it will only take 6 hours to get there. Herr Wirtz will lead the team sent to site C. Wirtz is the one officer you hate. He yelled at you quite a few times for trivial reasons, reminding you that “your presence in this facility is a mistake, one which I hope Himmler or Ajax will rectify”. He is however the top authority on civilization X’s quantumtronic systems.

After the briefing Fuchs tells you in private that: “You are free to pick which expedition team you want to join. Herr Ajax believes you will know which site will be the best one for a man for your talents. Furthermore I have authorized you to pick up equipment from the armory, it should prove useful with that additional training you received. As far as your RMG is concerned, I am sure it will be returned to you once you prove your worth here. You will need it if you get an assignment to retrieve technology from a different parallel. For the time being however, it will still remain in the armory."

You will join the expedition to site…
A)…A of course, how can you resist crawling in sewer tunnels, bunkers or whatever civilization X built underground there. At least Fuchs will be leading the expedition.
B)…B of course, intact structures on the surface could prove to be promising. Wildlife be damned.
C)…C of course, an old mine should no doubt contain some sort of machinery. And the trip there is short.

During the past two months you received additional training in the field of…
1)…marksmanship. You spent a lot of time at the shooting range significantly improving your accuracy with both regular firearms and laser weapons. You will pick up a Thule laspistol from the storage.
2)…quantum computing. You now know how to hack electronic systems using a quantum decrypter and have a basic understanding of some of the technology behind most quantumtronic systems and even AI. You will pick up a Zuse quantumtronic decryption and computation device from the storage.
3)…medicine. No more will you overdose painkillers by accident, you also know how to deal with radioactive, chemical and biological hazards. You will pick up a medical scanner and a field medic set.
4)…stealth. You know how to quietly infiltrate or break into guarded facilities. You will receive a new stun rod from the armory. Furthermore you will receive a new optical camouflage suit in about two weeks.

Furthermore during your free time in the past two months…
V)…volunteered for cleaning duty to better learn the layout of the base.
X)…you played poker with the soldiers guarding the facility.
Y)…you played chess with the technicians operating the underground cargo terminal and rift generator.
Z)…you learned the basics of two foreign languages, Russian and Latin, using the electronic books in the library.

Vote now.

Heracles’ current inventory: Structural Scanner, Adaptable Tools, Combat Knife.

When Heracles was transferred to New Swabia they took away his stun rod and dumped it in the trash. He still has his structural scanner, the knife and the toolkit. The Gestapo however has “misplaced” the first aid kit, Glock and all the ammo. The neural probe is being studied by Ahnenerbe or Thule AG researchers somewhere.

Heracles will still get slightly improved shooting skills even if you do not pick 1). However 1) is a huge improvement, just FYI.
Oh and again sorry for the long update, all the choices made it longer than planned. Before you ask, the other two “career paths” in the last update meant Heracles would get his RGM back sooner.

skuphundaku

Economic devastator, Mk. 11
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex 2013 MCA Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Divinity: Original Sin 2 My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit.
:bro:Hellraiser - good stuff!

One small nitpick though: The word "Der Reise" doesn't exist in German. "Die Reise" translates to "journey/trip/voyage" and "Der Riese" translates to "giant/colossus". And, by the way, "Colossus" sounds much more awesome than "Giant".:troll:

Hellraiser

Arcane
Derp, I double-checked if I spelled that correctly and still made a typo.

Giant sounds a lot more nordic though, plus I'm using the translation wikipedia provided. IIRC it was also the one used in all the potato sources on the whole nazi ufo wunderwaffe research conspiracy. Plus you can't really say the third reich wanted to give everything an awesome name, they named an oversized tank "mouse" and their first mass-produced jet fighter as "swallow". They weren't as AWESOME at naming as bioware with THE CITADEL and THE REAPERS or THE CATALYST.

skuphundaku

Patron
Codex 2012 Codex 2013 MCA Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Divinity: Original Sin 2 My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit.
Well, they're Germans, but Heracles is of helenistic origin, so "Colossus" sounds better to his ears:p. Nevermind, I'm messing around because the origin of the word "Giant" is also Greek:D. Now, onwards to my choices:

Choice #1: B) seems to be the option that has the highest chances of us finding something interesting. Those aliens don't seem to have come to that planet in order to hide stuff, given the visible structures and the STRIP MINE. However, if they were hiding something, the underground structures may contain some cool stuff. If they were really hiding something of high importance, the mine could be an even better cover for hiding something major. However, the chances of us stumbling on something earth-shattering are slimmer than finding something less significant but with a greater probability of that happening at site 2, so I go for B). Also, the team going to site 2 is the one most in need of the skills of an engineer because it's being led by a theoretician. The fact that he doesn't play by the book should provide some EXTREME moments (read: entertainment).

Choice #2: Unless we're ready to get our ass eaten by the local fauna, I chose 1) (marksmanship and the laspistol). That may come handy later too, so choosing this is playing it safe. All the other options may prove to be more useful than this in the future, but if we want to make sure we make it safely to B), then I think this is the best option.

Choice #3: Z) because all the other options would be useful if we wanted to break out of Riese base as soon as possible, and I don't think that's a good idea. We should stay and find out as much as possible abouth these aliens.

oscar

Arcane
A1Z. Though if anyone can think of a reason not to I'm all ears.

Kz3r0

Arcane
A)…A of course, how can you resist crawling in sewer tunnels, bunkers or whatever civilization X built underground there. At least Fuchs will be leading the expedition.
2)…quantum computing.
Y)…you played chess with the technicians operating the underground cargo terminal and rift generator.

B
Y

The reason being that I think those have synergy. If you learn quantum computing you probably can get more out of your talks with the engineers, and I'd guess buildings are where you can find computars.

Oskar and Stygian, if AoD taught us anything it is that direct combat is for losers. Don't vote for increasing markmanship, we must beat them in a game of wit not brawn.

skuphundaku

Patron
Tell that to my assassin who fought the final fights in, essentialy, pyjamas and still won. Heracles, unfortunately, is not a ninja assassin, so his chances against dangerous wildlife are slim to none if he gets into a fight without packing some serious firepower.

Hellraiser

Arcane
I counted the votes, the tally is:

A-3 B-3 C-1
1-3 2-2 4-1
X-1 Y-3 Z-3

:rage:

As you can see we have a tie between A/B and Y/Z. The next vote on either of those choices is the tie-breaker for that choice.

If there are no votes breaking the tie until 9:15 p.m. GMT tomorrow I'm going to use the potato lottery to determine the winner. Specifically the "joker" one from tomorrow.

The newest results will be here

If the first number (the big fabulous pink one) is an odd number A wins, if it is even then B wins. The first number of the 4 yellow ones determines if Y (odd number) or Z (even number) wins.

Also IT IS TOTALLY POSSIBLE TO SUCCEED WITH A PURE COMBAT CHARACTER IN THE AOD DEMO.

Seriously bros, get INT 10, enough CON for 40 HP, DEX for 9 AP, PER for +5 hit bonus, STR for no damage penalty (more STR is useless), CHA is the dump stat. Dump skill points into swords+block+crafting, increase swords and block to decent level first (35-ish) then dump all SP into crafting until you get it to 50. Make masterwork+hardened weapons and armor, use the heaviest max 9 AP armor and a buckler. Name your character Leonidas and yell SPARTA! at the monitor, after you laugh at the pathetic damage everybody deals to you apart from the odd lucky critical hit. While you make salami out of them with your Gladius of forceful armor penetration. Those crafted weapons and armor make a HUGE difference.

Running Fox

Educated
Queued
[Intelligence] Why does VD think that not displaying the required numeric stats is more fun?

case1 stats visible
- i know how much i need and why i fail, all is good

case2 stats invisible
- i fail, reload, reinvest, which is annoying
- i fail and dont reload which is annoying since i earned and have free skill points that i didnt invest since i didnt know where to put them

[Flipfloping] I am doing this for progress and not out of weakness!
B4Y.

Esquilax

Arcane
I'm not so sure about improving our marksmanship, but I guess if we're heading out into the jungle, we need to be handy with some weapons. Then again, if we're going to be entering an structure that is likely filled with ancient technology and possibly AI's like the one we encountered before, we are going to have to have to brush up on our quantum computing skills to be able to learn as much as we possibly can. I realize that it's a risky proposition given the danger and the loony scientist leading the expedition (there's a decent chance we'll die), but I nevertheless think we'll learn more if go in with as much knowledge as possible.

I'm agree with herostratus:

B)
2)
Y)

Hellraiser

Arcane
So that takes care of one tie, but it creates another!

:rage:

Next vote determines if 1) or 2) wins. A-C and V-Z votes are no longer accepted.

If no vote is made until the lottery is held I'll use that to determine the winning choice. Fabulous pink ball's number again. If it's an odd number then 1) wins, if it's an even one then 2) wins.

:codexisfor:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom