Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

The new Alice game is pretty fucking awesome.

bonescraper

Fucking Christ, i don't understand why this game gets average to bad scores all over... I fucking love it! Not that i give a shit about IGN's or Gamespot's opinions, but it may be a turn off to some dumb motherfuckers out there, who still give a shit about gaming "journalism". And i want this game to sell.

I like AMG:A, but so far (i'm just past that sidescrolling shooter minigame) the sequel is better in almost every aspect. Everything from the original art direction (simply gorgeous), level design, combat (different kinds of enemies require different tactics, and they're ofen thrown at you en masse) to writing and voice acting is as good or better than in the original game. The minigames are also a nice addition IMO. There's no next-gen bullshit like regenerating health or piss-easy difficulty (i'm playing on hard, and it feels just right), but i certainly wouldn't call this game "old school". It's like saying flight simulators are old school, 'cause they're not as popular today as in the 90's. AMR is an excellent story-driven platformer. Is it a fucking crime? I guess it is in the eyes of your average reviewer these days :roll:

Check this:
G4 reviewer said:
the game itself is stuck in a wonderland of game design that, while initially nostalgic, becomes something of an anachronism, holding onto a past time as desperately as Alice herself holds onto a fantasy world that hides her from the nightmares of her reality.
Yeah, right. Now what is his issue exactly? Fucking :decline:

Also, the game runs fine on my GTX 460 with everyting maxed out (including Physx). No major slowdowns, crashes or CTDs so far.

Oh, and BTW, you can unlock DLC dresses/weapons by simply editting one of the .ini files. :lol:

tetsuo

Scholar
Game is great so far im up to the 3. chapter, and every chapter gets better and better, its exactly what i expected a oldschool 3d platformer and i really dont understand the mixed reviews it gets,
its my 3rd favorite platformer on pc after alice 1 and psychonauts so far btw there is even a easteregg about psychonauts in it.
bffkrhsu.jpg

INI-files here: \Users\<username>\Documents\My Games\Alice Madness Returns\AliceGame\Config\

Disable Vsync:
In file AliceEngine.ini change InUseVsync=False
In file AliceEngine.ini change UseVsync=False

Disable capped 30fps:
In file AliceEngine.ini under [Engine.Engine] change bSmoothFrameRate=TRUE to FALSE
In file AliceEngine.ini under [UnrealEd.UnrealEdEngine] change bSmoothFrameRate=TRUE to FALSE

Disable mouse acceleration:
In file AliceInput.ini change bEnableMouseSmoothing=TRUE to FALSE

-

IF YOU WANT TO BE ABSOLUTELY CERTAIN ABOUT FPS:

In file AliceEngine.ini under [Engine.Engine] change MaxSmoothedFrameRate=31 to any value you want
In file AliceEngine.ini under [UnrealEd.UnrealEdEngine] change MaxSmoothedFrameRate=31.000000 to any value you want

-

REMEMBER TO MARK THE FILE ALICEENGINE.INI AS READ ONLY AFTER CHANGING IT OR THE GAME WILL REVERT IT BACK

To unlock the DLCs change the "false" value in DefaultEngine.ini to "true" if it isn't and make it read only.

C:\...\EA Games\Alice Madness Returns\AliceGame\Config

DefaultEngine.ini file, scroll to the bottom

[AliceGame.AliceGameEngine]
Alice1Path=..\..\..\Alice1\bin
GIsSpecialPCEdition=FALSE

baronjohn

Cipher
Well I've played some more and the reviews are right. The game is very same-y and formulaic. I quit and deleted it around at around 25% complete.

The first was too, it basically relied on atmosphere and art style, which isn't necessarily a bad thing, it's good to see some creativity in the field today, especially when it's a relatively high profile title.

abija

Prophet
baronjohn said:
Well I've played some more and the reviews are right. The game is very same-y and formulaic. I quit and deleted it around at around 25% complete.
Unlike all those brilliant platform games who 25% in already showcase at least 10 different types of gameplay.

Same reason we can't have a decent shooter lately, if your gameplay consists of shooting stuff in a pleasant way it's too "same-y and formulaic". Better hurry and replace 90% of it with cutscenes, qte and scripted sequences that make awesome stuff happen.

Eyeball

Arcane
Pirating this right now to see if it can run on my system. While I am sure that the actual mechanics of the game may be sort of lolfag, the game looks just as grim and disturbing as the first one, and atmosphere can really make or break a generic platformer such as this.

Only comment: Why did they change the Cheshire Cat's voice actor? His voicework was the high point of the first game.

Come to think of it, how's he even still alive after Alice 1?

Edit: Apparently, it's the same voice actor. Just sounds a bit more pompous and less sinister in the new game.

baronjohn

Cipher
abija said:
baronjohn said:
Unlike all those brilliant platform games who 25% in already showcase at least 10 different types of gameplay.

Same reason we can't have a decent shooter lately, if your gameplay consists of shooting stuff in a pleasant way it's too "same-y and formulaic". Better hurry and replace 90% of it with cutscenes, qte and scripted sequences that make awesome stuff happen.
Uh, no. The problem with Alice is that you just do the same things over. It's basically like a designer came up with all of the game in 10 minutes and then just copy pasted the same idea over and over and over which gets pretty fucking boring quickly.

For examples of PC platformers that were fantastically fun from start to finish you can look at MDK 2 and Psychonauts.

Wulfstand

Prophet
Yeah, the gameplay does get a bit stale after a while, but the rest of the game is just so fucking beautiful I still can't stop loving it. :love:
I would've loved a bit more loony gameplay decisions, like in Rayman 2 (which to this day is my favourite platforming game, even though it's been a few years since I last played it), but oh well.

MCA
First game was only good for art direction and the twisted take on the IP. It was a nausea inducing repetitive piece of shit. I expect the same with the new game, so, meh.

kingcomrade

Kingcomrade
Edgy
So what button moves the blocks during the slide block puzzle? I'm sure if I had an xbox controller in front of me it would be apparent. I've just been slapping my dick on my keyboard now seeing if any button does anything.

edit-, christ, it's spacebar.

anyways i like the art direction in this game but the platforming is kinda boring (i mean there's two types: the one that requires a double jump and the one that requires a double jump onto an invisible platform), and the voice acting and writing are AWFUL

kingcomrade

Kingcomrade
Edgy
Alright I got to chapter 4 but i can't take this game any more. Fuck the people who made it this game is just making me angry, it deserves the reviews it's getting.

Horrible writing and voice acting, it's embarassing.

Very basic mechanics that never really get interesting or ask you to do anything besides wait until platforms or columns are lined up. It's copy and paste.

Double jumping onto moving invisible platforms in the dark on a time limit fuck you guys for even thinking it (and that particular part is also bugged, half the time putting a bomb on the panel did no raise the invisible platforms).

Combat: When I first started playing, I thought the combat system was great. Alice moves fast and naturally, and the dodge ability works well, and they do that thing where everything slows down for half a second as kind of like the telegraph cue (otherwise I mean you can dodge at random I suppose because their attack animations are extremely short).
Then I ran into one of the worst combat cameras I have ever played with in my life, it does not let you look around or anything, and in multi-enemy fights i would say more than half the time the enemy i have targetted is in the corner of the screen and I'm staring mostly at a wall.
I also started to find that in 1v1 fights, that combat system works just fine. In multi-unit fights, both due to the camera and because there's usually one armored dude where you have to reflect something back (big slimes, cannon crabs), where you have to hit them with the hammer or just wait for them to open up for half a second before an attack (samurai). Switching between targets is very clumsy and you can't switch to a target that isn't on the screen, and since you can't really move the camera while it's locked on, you have to either break out of combat and do it yourself or hope they run inbetween you and who you have targetted.

Theres a fight against 2 samurai, 2 flying archers, a beehive kind of thing that keeps spitting out crows (which will break you out of combat if they hit you) until you kill it, and then a super samurai comes once the 2 samurai are dead.

It sounds like a complex battle that could be very fun, but not this one. And also before it, my favorite thing ever, unskippable cutscene and a section of level. Maybe it's better with an Xbox controller, but I kind of doubt it.
And fuck those fish monsters.

They even manage to shit on the camera on the side-scrolling levels. It will zoom in real close so you have no idea where you're supposed to jump and you just do it on faith. I'm in the second one when I quit, I was at the part where you jump across the rooftops, except oops some of those identical rooftops are not actually rooftops and you fall to your death.

This game is insulting.

edit- forgot to mention clumsy physics and collision detection...in a platformer game.

Wyrmlord

Arcane
Curiously, did you all enjoy the first Alice? The game where you rode on bees, swam in the oceans while surviving on bubbles (wtf?), and ran across library shelves by jumping from one floating book to another?

It's been so long since I played that one. All I remember is that it made my younger self feel confused and queasy. I wasn't famiiliar with weird for the sake of weird back then.

ironyuri

Was American McGee part of the development on the reboot of Alice, or not?

Konjad

Patron
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
The new Alice is... wonderful! I hate platformers but this is the best game I've played since... a long time... VtM Bloodlines perhaps? And it's probably the best non-strategy and non-crpg game I've ever played! The music reminds me of Arcanum, the graphic is beautiful, the art direction is ingenious - black & white victorian city, colorful wonderland which manages to be gritty at the same time... I'm sick of retarded reviewers giving shit like all CoDs, BFs, Bioware games etc automatically 8-10/10 while underrating true pearls, like Alice Madness Returns or Tension: The Void. Gaming journalism is a big and gritty joke, it only serves as an additional PR campaign for popular companies. Ignore the reviews of imbeciles who fap to newest CoD or Mass Effect because it has blue alien sex and play GOOD games instead, like this one.

Suchy

Arcane
I've only seen some gameplay vids. Good art direction, bad animation, gameplay retarded. But the last platformer I played was Prehistorik 2, back when it was new and shiny.
So far I'm unimpressed and uninterested. Unless it has tits.
Does it have tits?

bonescraper

ironyuri said:
Was American McGee part of the development on the reboot of Alice, or not?
Yes, it's made by his own studio. And it's not a reboot, it's a sequel.

Zarniwoop

TESTOSTERONIC As Fuck™
Patron
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
I've figured out the secret to this thing (apart from moving your My Documents folder to the default location):

An XBAWX 360 controller. Just works so much easier. I ain't even mad though, this is what consoles were designed for, platformers. It's a pretty nice game actually now. Who would have thought a platformer would be more fun than 99% of the games coming out these days?

Found the first game quite dull aside form the art design; is it worth me playing through/watching a let's play before trying this new game?

Ovg

Cipher
Moving through the game, I am at the dollhouse now.

I like it.

One thing I do is that I play it in 2h Madness Returns 1h Jagged Alliance 2 intervals, as to avoid getting bored and/or tired of it.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom