Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Good Old Games
Donate to Codex
News Content Gallery About Donate Discord Contact
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

The New DOOM Thread (2016)

mastroego

Arcane
Well I'm going for 40 and I feel I'm too old for this kind of genuineness.

I need a fully functional mouse thanks.
Hell I had to reinstall my OS from scratch and I hated every second that I needed to grind to install the mobo drivers, hitting SHIFT+F10 and wrong buttons and shit and all time.
Also the game looks shit.

Haraldur

Augur
I first played DOOM, using PrBoom+, in 2014. I used a mouse, where, instead of mouselook, it controlled turning left and right and also controlled movement forwards and backwards. I set the right mouse button to enable STRAFE mode when depressed, the middle button was USE and the wheel controlled weapon selection. I almost never touched the keyboard (except to press ESCAPE), playing the game almost entirely with just the mouse. I think it is quite an interesting user interface.

Am I right to assume that mouse use in the original DOOM was similar (with more keyboard dependence)?

sullynathan

Arcane
why is the flashlight in Doom 3 so useless at times? the game was too dark

shihonage

Subscribe to my OnlyFans
Patron
Bubbles In Memoria
Doom is the only early fps I play without mouselook because I feel that keyboard only is part of the aesthetics. It's like how people use steering wheels in racing games, and fight pads in fighting games, not because of the advantage they provide, but because it just feels like the way the game was intended to be played.

Using a mouse in doom is like playing pong with a mouse. Your level of control becomes much higher, as your paddle is now controlled by a mouse with no speed cap, but it makes removes the element of prediction from the game and rewards reflexes over just being in the right place at the right time.

You do realize that Doom originally came with keyboard+mouse option, right? I started off as a keyboard-only player, until I started losing to people in modem/IPX games who used the mouse. The mouse control became defacto in original Doom games, way back then.

Astral Rag

Arcane
The mouse was definitely used in Wolf and Doom but obviously not for looking up and down. Heretic was the first game I played that let me look up and down, this was done with the page up and page down keys, I (and I assume the vast majority of Heretic players) only used this novel feature when it was absolutely necessary. Rise of the Triad had a neat Aim button which allowed players to look around with the mouse but this only worked when the PC was stationary.

Honesty dictates me to say that the mouse was originally also used to move, this vertical mouse movement was the norm until Quake and the Build games came along. In the case of Doom this feature could not be disabled out of the box.

The first FPS designed with proper mouselook in mind was Beth's Future Shock.

The full version of DN3D also had mouselook, IIRC the shareware version didn't have that feature.

Default mouse controls for Doom:

XfhPhU0.png

From the original DOOM README.TXT

TIP: When you're comfortable playing the game, try using the
keyboard and the mouse simultaneously. The mouse provides
fine control for aiming your weapon (allowing you to
smoothly rotate right and left) while the keyboard permits
you to activate the many useful functions of the game.

Last edited:

Lyric Suite

Converting to Islam
New Noah Caldwell-Gervais video

His constant reference to "modern standards" triggers me, particularly since he sees no difference in value between "old school" standards and new ones. The only difference is that we are now where we are, and we are no longer where we are used to be. Worthless video is worthless, and Doom 3 is still a shit fest.

Even in the early days of Quake keyboard was still predominant. A console command (+mlook) was necessary to enable mouselook, and not a lot of people used it. Of course, the game quickly developed more competitively, mlook became standard and the rest is history.

I'm an oldfag and played Doom shareware the month it came out; I played Doom 1 and 2 completely on keyboard and loved every minute of it back then. However, when I replay the games or try out new .wads today I absolutely use mouselook.

Menckenstein

Lunacy of Caen: Todd Reaver
Ripping or tearing. Which is better and why?
Discuss!

sexbad?

Arcane
Patron
Codex USB, 2014
My entry into the fray:

osdDlgz.png

Superuser

Educated
To be honest, I don't think anyone would care as much if it didn't have the name 'DOOM' on it.

For that matter, why do you care about the name? Just take the game on its own terms. I've loved Rainbow Six games since 3 for instance, and have enjoyed the Vegas series and Siege a great deal, even though they're completely different. Don't get hung upon the damn name, just look at the game itself. It's not like anyone ever played DOOM for its deep overarching narrative.

Lyric Suite

Converting to Islam
Yes, we played it for its excellent gameplay, the one thing modern shooters fail at, utterly and completely.

shihonage

Subscribe to my OnlyFans
Patron
Bubbles In Memoria
The mouse was definitely used in Wolf and Doom but obviously not for looking up and down.

Yeah, but the poster I was replying to, implied it was not used, period.

The first FPS designed with proper mouselook in mind was Beth's Future Shock.

It depends on whether we classify Descent as an FPS.

The full version of DN3D also had mouselook, IIRC the shareware version didn't have that feature.

That would've been very strange. By the time Duke3D came out I was a mouse player, and I do recall playing the demo quite a bit.

You do realize that Doom originally came with keyboard+mouse option, right? I started off as a keyboard-only player, until I started losing to people in modem/IPX games who used the mouse. The mouse control became defacto in original Doom games, way back then.

I originally played Doom much the same way I played Wolf3d, that is using mouse only without touching the keyboard. By contrast half my multiplayer experience in Q1/Q2 was keyboard only, with PgUp/PgDn, and I remember being highly skeptical to WASD when I first encountered it. Now I can't even remember what my finger-placement used to be like.

That would've been very strange. By the time Duke3D came out I was a mouse player, and I do recall playing the demo quite a bit.

Yeah, D3D and Blood were among the games that I would two-hand keyboard. The preconfigured settings work well with that playstyle, while using the mouse even though it is supported generally means either rebinding or having to take your fingers off the movement in order to access inventory or do other stuff.

Last edited:
To be honest, I don't think anyone would care as much if it didn't have the name 'DOOM' on it.

For that matter, why do you care about the name? Just take the game on its own terms. I've loved Rainbow Six games since 3 for instance, and have enjoyed the Vegas series and Siege a great deal, even though they're completely different. Don't get hung upon the damn name, just look at the game itself. It's not like anyone ever played DOOM for its deep overarching narrative.

With Doom name or not - it's still shit.
Is this THAT hard to understand?

tormund

Arcane
^What the man said.

If not for the name, this would be just another uninspired modern SP shooter that tries to bait players with some nebulously defined "old school" hook. It would get more attention than the likes of Alien Rage and Wrack only due to its budget and Bethesda fanboys.

Top Bottom