Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

The New DOOM Thread (2016)

Zeriel

Arcane
Also, voice messages and complex story in Doom. It really is Doom: The cinematic experience. I bet it even runs at 24fps on consoles.

Nah, both console versions are confirmed to run 1080p@60 fps. Gotta give id Soft at least credit for making a really nice looking and fast engine. No John Carmack needed.

I thought ID6 was basically just a branch of ID5, which he was involved with intimately.

DosBuster

Arcane
Patron
The Real Fanboy
Codex USB, 2014
ID Tech 6 is very much a new engine which Carmack has worked heavily on. It's using the "superscript" system which was something Carmack was talking about how he was going to make this super-powerful scripting language for Doom 4.
Also, Snapmap was his last project at Id before he left.

Funny story: Carmack once said that he would make the campaign run at 30 fps with multiplayer running at 60.

lightbane

Arcane
To be fair, NuWolfenstein did the same thing, but now it is even more obvious than ever how the NEXT-GEN GRAPHICS TM stick out like a sore thumb. And the enemies' reaction times are slower than a lethargic turtle. Also, I liked how the video's player kept looking down at that portal thing. Chances are there are invisible walls that kill you instantly if you attempt to deviate from the path like that.

Llama-Yak Hybrid

Wild Sheep
Dumbfuck
Except NuWolfenstein felt faster than this shit and the guns felt like actual guns. Maybe because it didn't have ebin finishers everywhere.

Zeriel

Arcane
This game is so slow and feels so empty and dull... Maybe mods will fix it. But probably not.

There won't be any modding. They've said as much. The SnapMap solution is all we're going to get, and it's like the Foundry for all those Cryptic MMOs--you can put together generic levels with tons of restrictions, it will be dead a month after release as creatives realize you can't do anything you'd want to do with it.

(Actually, last I checked the Foundry in stuff like the Neverwinter MMO don't have straight-up budget restrictions like SnapMap does, so it's even worse than those. In the stream they showed of it, 3 rooms you'd cross in a few seconds already consumed 20% of the budget of a level, and that's a hardcoded restriction. There will be no Doom-esque levels in SnapMap, because they won't let you place that many enemies.)

Jackalope

Arcane
This game is so slow and feels so empty and dull... Maybe mods will fix it. But probably not.

There won't be any modding. They've said as much. The SnapMap solution is all we're going to get, and it's like the Foundry for all those Cryptic MMOs--you can put together generic levels with tons of restrictions, it will be dead a month after release as creatives realize you can't do anything you'd want to do with it.

(Actually, last I checked the Foundry in stuff like the Neverwinter MMO don't have straight-up budget restrictions like SnapMap does, so it's even worse than those. In the stream they showed of it, 3 rooms you'd cross in a few seconds already consumed 20% of the budget of a level, and that's a hardcoded restriction. There will be no Doom-esque levels in SnapMap, because they won't let you place that many enemies.)

Oh? I guess they are betting on the multiplayer to keep people interesting, not mods. And that won't happen, because it looks generic and mediocre as hell.

DosBuster

Arcane
Patron
The Real Fanboy
Codex USB, 2014
Actually, you may still be able to access the id toolkit because it's part of the game executable, when RAGE first released all you had to do was type a console command to start it up.

Zeriel

Arcane

Oh? I guess they are betting on the multiplayer to keep people interesting, not mods. And that won't happen, because it looks generic and mediocre as hell.

It's about consoles. SnapMap is level creation that can be done on consoles, with all that entails. I understand Halo has something similar? I don't play on consoles so I don't know the specifics, but they seem to have inspired by Halo in pretty much every aspect of the game.

Unkillable Cat

LEST WE FORGET
Patron
Codex 2014 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy

Then go about it from the other direction: Using the original Doom, create a WAD that looks like the standard Doom campaign, except it features new secrets that lead into small areas that use modern-day graphics, level design and effects.

Zeriel

Arcane

Then go about it from the other direction: Using the original Doom, create a WAD that looks like the standard Doom campaign, except it features new secrets that lead into small areas that use modern-day graphics, level design and effects.

Someone already did that... sort of. Not the "modern tech" part, but they did do a parody of modern game design in the doom engine.

tormund

Arcane
Blame that on Rage's lack of a modding community.
That has jackshit to do with this. Rage wasn't a major success to begin with so there wasn't some potential for it having a large modding community to begin with, not to mention that official editor was released too late and that it was apparently pain in the ass too use and too demanding due to megatextures.

DosBuster

Arcane
Patron
The Real Fanboy
Codex USB, 2014
It was there on release, it got a more "official" release later but it was widely known that you could access it on release.

And yeah, those issues you highlighted are the reasons why snapmap exists in the first place, game tools are getting too complex to just release now. DICE cans't release frostbite tools because it'd take a terabyte of hard drive space for example.

Zeriel

Arcane
Another big problem is the lack of documentation. A lot of internal dev tools have broken buttons, or buttons that only work if X, Y, Z scenario. And the understanding of how the toolset works is very informal, "hey don't do this or that, and this is how this works" kind of bullshit. Not limited to gaming of course, I'm sure we've all worked in some shitty office job where we used some ad hoc app that was similar. Releasing that to the public is a nightmare.

Melan

Arcane
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! I helped put crap in Monomyth

Funny how it's an UBER secret and they show it to the world before release. Just to show: Look, it's the classic levels, this is doom. Funny is that their main selling point is the bloody takedowns inspired by brutal doom, and the rooms stay clean, unlike BD. It's even more apparent when they're playing on the classic levels.

This has been the saddest, most embarrasing thing I have seen on the Internet in a while. The cringeworthy attempt to reach out to the "classic gamer" audience, spoilering your own game, the chirpy "retro" sound effect, dev guy trying to sound proud of it and failing, because he knows. They have already raped his soul, they are holding his wife and daughter at gunpoint, and they have him $350k in debt, and he has to sell this thing or it all comes crashing down. But while he pretends, he knows. And he knows we know too.

Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
[Watches gameplay videos]

xDsBJLn.png

Caim

Arcane
Come to think of it, wasn't Duke Nukem Forever's multiplayer closer to the original DOOM's multiplayer than this game's multiplayer is?

markec

Twitterbot
Patron
Codex 2012 Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Dead State Project: Eternity Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
Come to think of it, wasn't Duke Nukem Forever's multiplayer closer to the original DOOM's multiplayer than this game's multiplayer is?

Pretty much anything is closer to original Doom multiplayer then this game.

Baron Dupek

Arcane
I played some Doom4 and got some fun with it. Difficulty is ok, shotgun goon can take you with one shot in close contact.
And it's true that double barrel shotgun have cooldown - for zoom that decrease spread of buckshots. I don't get it.
Chaingun is vastly inaccurate, better use assault rifle cause it's not fun to lose 1/3 of ammo for missing shots.
Punches are weak but for occasional humiliation do their job.
lF04SPN.jpg

Ou0Pyyn.jpg

m4E6tTw.gif

Last edited:

Lunac

Arcane
DICE cans't release frostbite tools because it'd take a terabyte of hard drive space for example.

A single TB is not a whole lot of space in 2016, especially for people who would be target audience for any modding tools. I've been in multi TB range for over a decade, half the lifetime of an average codexer to put in perspective.

Another big problem is the lack of documentation. A lot of internal dev tools have broken buttons, or buttons that only work if X, Y, Z scenario. And the understanding of how the toolset works is very informal, "hey don't do this or that, and this is how this works" kind of bullshit. Not limited to gaming of course, I'm sure we've all worked in some shitty office job where we used some ad hoc app that was similar. Releasing that to the public is a nightmare.

Nonsense, for all those paying attention, there has been a significant drop off in... "talent", in modding realm since middle of 00's. People used to binary hack, create texture mods, audio packs, and what have you even if the devs/publishers made zero available tools to them. That talent, those people are gone. The new, or better said, nu crop of gamers and talent is comprised of idiots, morons, of low-IQ CoD mouth breathers. That's your problem.

All the tools and all the terabytes wouldn't make any difference to the average dudebro who can barely tie his shoelaces much less mod shit.

Last edited:

DosBuster

Arcane
Patron
The Real Fanboy
Codex USB, 2014
Nonsense, for all those paying attention, there has been a significant drop off in... "talent", in modding realm since middle of 00's. People used to binary hack, create texture mods, audio packs, and what have you even if the devs/publishers made zero available tools to them. That talent, those people are gone. The new, or better said, nu crop of gamers and talent is comprised of idiots, morons, of low-IQ CoD mouth breathers. That's your problem.

All the tools and all the terabytes wouldn't make any difference to the average dudebro who can barely tie his shoelaces much less mod shit.

Fucking what? Are you ignoring all the developers who make things like NifSkope, TES5Edit, DSFix/DPFix, all the nintendo rom hacks, someone even managed to make an entirely almost new version of Battlefield 3 with added features.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom