Official Codex Discord Server

1. Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.
    Dismiss Notice

Decline The new Thiaf game is MASSIVE decline - Eidos Forum Refugee Camp

Discussion in 'General Gaming' started by 7h30n, Feb 24, 2014.

1. 7h30n Savant

7h30n
    ^ Top  
  2. Borelli Arcane

Borelli
    Wow, despite the polite and calm tone this review totally trashes it. There are even some new flaws that i missed from the previews.
    :hmmm:

^ Top  
  3. Blaine Cis-Het Oppressor Patron

Blaine
    Grab the Codex by the pussy
    What they want are linear levels with reward nooks that are impossible to get lost in, anything more complex must be antiquated level design.

[​IMG]

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  4. JarlFrank I like Thief THIS much Patron

JarlFrank
    Secret Lab of the Warrior-Magus of Esoteric RPGism
    The only level I had loot requirement problems in when playing on Expert was the Old Quarter level. All the others - no problem at all if you explore thorougly.

^ Top  
  5. 7/10 Learned

7/10
    "To prevent players from being totally overwhelmed by the sprawling urban setting, the city is separated into smaller, more manageable zones"

LOL

• Brofist Brofist x 7
    ^ Top  
  6. AlexOfSpades Prophet

AlexOfSpades
    "Guys i'm worried that the city is too big - our players may be overwhelmed with... fun. We cant allow that. So i was thinking about cutting it down to small sections instead with loading screens in between."

"Aah, that's genius! Totally worked for Invisible War"

• Brofist Brofist x 5
    ^ Top  
  7. 2009-2014, offices of Eidos Montreal, the Thief team beta testing section.

"GUISE THE GAME SUCKS IT IS TOO HARD"
    "Well, I'm sorry, it's not call of duty"
    "GUISE FUCK YOU NO PURCHASE"
    "Ok, sorry, we'll fire the entire team and put hipsters in charge to tweak and improve the game."
    "GUISE IM LOST"
    "Okay, we'll cut the levels down a bit."
    "GUISE IM STILL LOST"
    "Okay, we'll cut them down to the Deadly Shadows size"
    "GUISE IM STILL LOST AND I FEEL THAT LOADING SCREENS ARE SHIT"
    "Alright, we'll cut them to 1 corridor and 2 rooms per level and make you hold the button during loading"
    "GUISE THE STORY IS SHIT"
    "K, ditch the hammerites, Steve!"
    "GUISE THE STORY IS STILL SHIT"
    "K, Steve, ditch the pagans and others."
    "GUISE THE STORY IS BORING AS DICKS"
    "STEVE, ADD THE DAMSEL IN THE STORY ITS GONNA WORK, THE LAST OF US PROVED THAT!!!"
    "GUISE GARRETT LOOKS BAD"
    "K, lets get the old model from Assassin's Creed and paint it black."
    "GUISE STEPHEN RUSSELL IS TOO OLD"
    "K, hire some faggot from the street."
    "GUISE ITS AWSUM IM GONNA BUY IT"

News at 11 - the guy hanged himself in the toilet. It is rumored that he was working for the Eidos Montreal as a beta tester."

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 24, 2014
    ^ Top  
  8. TalesfromtheCrypt Arcane

TalesfromtheCrypt
    There's a huge fallacy in your scenario zwanzig. It implies the devs wanted to actually make a true thief sequel in the first place.

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  9. Crooked Bee (no longer) a wide-wandering bee Patron

Crooked Bee
    Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire MCA Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
    RPS is positive: http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2014/02/24/thief-review/

Some will be furious about one aspect or other, and they will be loud about it on the internet. The context sensitive jump/climb/swoop button is going to be the launch pad that fires a lot of people out of the game in abject fury. But the truth is, I’ve had a fantastic time playing it. For where it falls short, it far more often had me crouched in a shadow, heart racing, waiting for the perfect moment to dart past a guard’s routine. It may be the fourth best Thief game, but it’s a damned fine game in its own rights.​

Dan Hindes (the editor of Sneaky Bastards) knows his shit so I'm not surprised their review is good.

^ Top  
  10. Silly Rabbit Learned

Silly Rabbit
    Some more popamole media reviews:

Destructiod - 7.5/10

IGN - 6.8/10

Gamespot - 6/10

Polygon - 6/10

Gametrailers - 7.5/10

Gamesided - 6.5/10

Eurogamer - 6/10

Even they don't like it. :lol:

• Brofist Brofist x 3
    ^ Top  
  11. My scenario is based on the possibility that they could make a true thief.
    But I forgot to add the 'GUISE LETS FIRE THE CREATIVE LEAD HE SUCKS THE GAME IS GONNA BE TOO HARD' line.
    Shit. Fixing it now.

^ Top  
  12. Spectacle Arcane Patron

Spectacle
    "Guys, these consoles don't have enough memory to load the entire city at once, we need to spend a couple of months on developing a GTA style system that seamlessly loads only the surrounding area as the player enters it."

"Nah, we cant be arsed doing that. Just cut the city into small separate levels instead, tell them it's to eliminate "player confusion", the press will believe it."

^ Top  
  13. Echo Mirage Arcane

Echo Mirage
    Kotaku says no buy. I know the rules are bro's don't link bro's to Kotaku. But here is a link to kotaku so someone with the ability to crop the images can do so.

Last edited: Feb 24, 2014
    ^ Top  
  14. Icewater Artisanal Shitposting™ Patron

Icewater
    Project: Eternity Wasteland 2
    She's a fucking cutie, too. 10/10, would have a long-term intimate relationship with.

^ Top  
  15. CSM Cipher Patron

CSM
    Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2

• Brofist Brofist x 2
    ^ Top  
  16. I actually like those people. When I saw the TMA development video, I was charmed by the studio for some reason.
    Wouldn't mind to work in their environment and spend time drinking beer and playing videogames with them after work.

Unlike those fucking hipsters in modern teams that drink cocktails on the job and waste tons of money on silver condoms to have buttsex during lunch breaks.

RIP, LGS.

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 24, 2014
    ^ Top  
  17. Cowboy Moment Arcane

Cowboy Moment
    Haha, even Kotaku is more discerning than RPS when it comes to Thi4f. What a fucking joke John Walker is.

• Brofist Brofist x 5
    ^ Top  
  18. Echo Mirage Arcane

Echo Mirage
    ^ Top  
  19. markec Twitterbot Patron

markec
    Codex 2012 Dead State Project: Eternity Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2
    Thats like 20% on a non shill site.

Who would thought few years ago I would now have higher opinion of Gamespot then RPS.

• Brofist Brofist x 3
    ^ Top  
  20. Zed Codex Staff Patron

Zed
    Codex USB, 2014
    "should I play this game?"
    - NO YOU SHOULDN'T PLAY THIS GAME

hahahaha. In so many ways, a reviewer shitting on a game is much funnier with a yes/no recommendation system. it's such a blunt "nope."

^ Top  
  21. SmartCheetah Arbiter

SmartCheetah
    Total Biscuit likes just just because you got optional difficulty settings. >.>

^ Top  
  22. Zewp Arcane

Zewp
    Codex 2013
    Oh Kotaku. They hate the game because it's not a Mirror's Edge x Assassin's Creed mash-up.

^ Top  
  23. Borelli Arcane

Borelli
    [​IMG]
    What the fuck is this? Didn't they promise us an old school map? This shit looks sterile and ugly.

^ Top  
  24. Rahdulan Arcane Patron

Rahdulan
    He likes it because seeing him play obviously portrays just how incompetent he is at stealth. Yeah, closing that door is totally going to negate the fact you left two corpses just lying around. Game where half the time is spent on cinematics and takedowns makes Thief more along his alley.

^ Top  
  25. Gerrard Arcane

Gerrard
    So it's actually good?

• Brofist Brofist x 3
    ^ Top  

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.