Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Decline The new Thiaf game is MASSIVE decline - Eidos Forum Refugee Camp

Blaine

Cis-Het Oppressor
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy
Thief also differs from modern stealth games due to its level design. Modern stealth levels are, for the most part, intensively designed affairs. I mean level design is important in combat-focused games too, sure, but it's even more important for stealth games where guard paths, player visibility, item placement, resource scarcity and places to run and hide, all have to be balanced while still communicating to the players where they need to go and what they need to do. Thief... pre-dates that sort of design-oriented approach to levels. In fact, Thief levels are obscenely large and complex, labyrinthean even, with nonsensical architecture and oddly intersecting hallways that seem designed specifically to confuse players. Sparesly decorated rooms with the same base texture set, they all begin to blur together and the player's often only given a compass and a VERY rough sketch to the level to guide them.

What they want are linear levels with reward nooks that are impossible to get lost in, anything more complex must be antiquated level design.

78Jxh

JarlFrank

I like Thief THIS much
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Raise of hands, anyone: When playing on Normal, has anyone ever had problems with meeting the loot count in Thief 1+2? Ever?

This point of criticism is valid for the Expert level, but it's called "Expert" for a reason.

The only level I had loot requirement problems in when playing on Expert was the Old Quarter level. All the others - no problem at all if you explore thorougly.

7/10

Learned
"To prevent players from being totally overwhelmed by the sprawling urban setting, the city is separated into smaller, more manageable zones"

LOL

AlexOfSpades

Arcane
"Guys i'm worried that the city is too big - our players may be overwhelmed with... fun. We cant allow that. So i was thinking about cutting it down to small sections instead with loading screens in between."

"Aah, that's genius! Totally worked for Invisible War"

zwanzig_zwoelf

2009-2014, offices of Eidos Montreal, the Thief team beta testing section.

"GUISE THE GAME SUCKS IT IS TOO HARD"
"Well, I'm sorry, it's not call of duty"
"GUISE FUCK YOU NO PURCHASE"
"Ok, sorry, we'll fire the entire team and put hipsters in charge to tweak and improve the game."
"GUISE IM LOST"
"Okay, we'll cut the levels down a bit."
"GUISE IM STILL LOST"
"Okay, we'll cut them down to the Deadly Shadows size"
"GUISE IM STILL LOST AND I FEEL THAT LOADING SCREENS ARE SHIT"
"Alright, we'll cut them to 1 corridor and 2 rooms per level and make you hold the button during loading"
"GUISE THE STORY IS SHIT"
"K, ditch the hammerites, Steve!"
"GUISE THE STORY IS STILL SHIT"
"K, Steve, ditch the pagans and others."
"GUISE THE STORY IS BORING AS DICKS"
"STEVE, ADD THE DAMSEL IN THE STORY ITS GONNA WORK, THE LAST OF US PROVED THAT!!!"
"GUISE GARRETT LOOKS BAD"
"K, lets get the old model from Assassin's Creed and paint it black."
"GUISE STEPHEN RUSSELL IS TOO OLD"
"K, hire some faggot from the street."
"GUISE ITS AWSUM IM GONNA BUY IT"

News at 11 - the guy hanged himself in the toilet. It is rumored that he was working for the Eidos Montreal as a beta tester."

Last edited by a moderator:
Strap Yourselves In Codex+ Now Streaming!
There's a huge fallacy in your scenario zwanzig. It implies the devs wanted to actually make a true thief sequel in the first place.

Crooked Bee

(no longer) a wide-wandering bee
Patron
Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire MCA Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
RPS is positive: http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2014/02/24/thief-review/

Some will be furious about one aspect or other, and they will be loud about it on the internet. The context sensitive jump/climb/swoop button is going to be the launch pad that fires a lot of people out of the game in abject fury. But the truth is, I’ve had a fantastic time playing it. For where it falls short, it far more often had me crouched in a shadow, heart racing, waiting for the perfect moment to dart past a guard’s routine. It may be the fourth best Thief game, but it’s a damned fine game in its own rights.​

Wow, despite the polite and calm tone this review totally trashes it. There are even some new flaws that i missed from the previews.
Cutscenes result in Garrett being outwitted, or in a forced detection state
:hmmm:

Dan Hindes (the editor of Sneaky Bastards) knows his shit so I'm not surprised their review is good.

zwanzig_zwoelf

There's a huge fallacy in your scenario zwanzig. It implies the devs wanted to actually make a true thief sequel in the first place.
My scenario is based on the possibility that they could make a true thief.
But I forgot to add the 'GUISE LETS FIRE THE CREATIVE LEAD HE SUCKS THE GAME IS GONNA BE TOO HARD' line.
Shit. Fixing it now.

Spectacle

Arcane
Patron
"Guys i'm worried that the city is too big - our players may be overwhelmed with... fun. We cant allow that. So i was thinking about cutting it down to small sections instead with loading screens in between."

"Aah, that's genius! Totally worked for Invisible War"
"Guys, these consoles don't have enough memory to load the entire city at once, we need to spend a couple of months on developing a GTA style system that seamlessly loads only the surrounding area as the player enters it."

"Nah, we cant be arsed doing that. Just cut the city into small separate levels instead, tell them it's to eliminate "player confusion", the press will believe it."

Echo Mirage

Arcane
Kotaku says no buy. I know the rules are bro's don't link bro's to Kotaku. But here is a link to kotaku so someone with the ability to crop the images can do so.

We've long been hearing rumors and reports of Thief's extended, torturous development, tales of scrapped ideas and a work environment derailed by office politics, where leadership was constantly in flux and creative direction was inconsistent at best. Over the course of the game's story, it's revealed that for generations The City has been ceaselessly built and rebuilt on the skeletons of past cities, with powerful men and women fighting for control as their workers suffered in the gloom. Critic Leigh Alexander once smartly observed that games often reflect the environments in which they were created, and that observation feels particularly relevant here.

We often use the word "release" to talk about new games. I've never been fond of the term, but in this case it feels fitting: Thief has been released. Thoroughly mediocre though the finished product may be, it is perhaps a relief that after years in creative purgatory, it has finally been set free. May its better ideas go on to fuel other, better games.

For now, though: Thief is a woeful disappointment, a bowl of stealth gruel best pushed aside in favor of tastier fare. Let it sit, let it grow cold, and let it be rinsed away

Last edited:

CSM

Cipher
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2
That’s the most important thing to take away from my meandering screed. For the vast majority of the time, I had so much fun. It didn’t need to match its predecessors to achieve that. I have spent the last three days crouched in shadows, terrified of light, giggling with glee as I evade the gazes of patrolling enemies (some of whom even deliver a proper Thiefy “Doo be doo be doo”!), and stuffing every twinkly candlestick and golden pair of scissors I could find into my trousers.

Some will be furious about one aspect or other, and they will be loud about it on the internet. The context sensitive jump/climb/swoop button is going to be the launch pad that fires a lot of people out of the game in abject fury. But the truth is, I’ve had a fantastic time playing it. For where it falls short, it far more often had me crouched in a shadow, heart racing, waiting for the perfect moment to dart past a guard’s routine. It may be the fourth best Thief game, but it’s a damned fine game in its own rights.

http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2014/02/24/thief-review/#more-191233

zwanzig_zwoelf

I actually like those people. When I saw the TMA development video, I was charmed by the studio for some reason.
Wouldn't mind to work in their environment and spend time drinking beer and playing videogames with them after work.

Unlike those fucking hipsters in modern teams that drink cocktails on the job and waste tons of money on silver condoms to have buttsex during lunch breaks.

RIP, LGS.

Last edited by a moderator:

Cowboy Moment

Arcane
Haha, even Kotaku is more discerning than RPS when it comes to Thi4f. What a fucking joke John Walker is.

Zed

Codex Staff
Patron
Staff Member
Codex USB, 2014
"should I play this game?"
- NO YOU SHOULDN'T PLAY THIS GAME

hahahaha. In so many ways, a reviewer shitting on a game is much funnier with a yes/no recommendation system. it's such a blunt "nope."

Zewp

Arcane
Codex 2013
Oh Kotaku. They hate the game because it's not a Mirror's Edge x Assassin's Creed mash-up.

At times, I caught glimpses of the good game that might have been. Things start out promisingly, as Garrett follows his young protégé Erin on a breathless race across the rooftops of The City. You run by holding down the left trigger, which much like an Assassin's Creedgame prompts Garrett to automatically climb, mantle and leap from wall to window to rooftop. There at the beginning, I felt like I was catching sight of what Thief should have been—a first-person Assassin's Creed-meets-Mirror's Edge stealth game, all leaping and diving from rooftop to rooftop, flitting through the shadows like a panther set free.

Borelli

Arcane

What the fuck is this? Didn't they promise us an old school map? This shit looks sterile and ugly.

Rahdulan

Omnibus
Patron
Total Biscuit likes just just because you got optional difficulty settings. >.>

He likes it because seeing him play obviously portrays just how incompetent he is at stealth. Yeah, closing that door is totally going to negate the fact you left two corpses just lying around. Game where half the time is spent on cinematics and takedowns makes Thief more along his alley.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom