Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Decline The new Thiaf game is MASSIVE decline - Eidos Forum Refugee Camp

JarlFrank

I like Thief THIS much
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Also the trailer implies a relatively large (or at least medium sized) mansion level where alerting the guards means they will come from all over the level to hunt you.

William Bedford Diego sounds a hell of a lot better than the hipster newfag they hired, that's for god damned sure. It's a shame the game went down the toilet, but... perhaps SHODAN can give William Bedford Diego a job as a voice actor in Dishonored 2? Who knows.

Echo Mirage

Arcane
Thats pretty funny. The most delusional people on the official forums calling other people delusional. Its good to see that the double standards and hypocrisy still run deep and freely in that shithole of a forum.

buzz

Arcane
The most delusional people are the :butthurt:rejects from Eidos forums who think we really give a shit about their stupid official forums

Garrettt

Educated
That forum is hilarious to read through. But after a while yes it does get a bit boring seeing the same thing over and over again. Fans being disappointed, mods being stuck in a state of denial about it and one guy who learned english through a broken translator.

vortex

Fabulous Optimist
Will there be new Thief game after 2014 reboot title ?
Gameplay was a clunky but I do enjoyed some side mission. Main story was not that interesting.
What I don't understand is that good keypoints of Dishonored were not in adressed in Thief. As if Thief was preceding Dishonored release. Also, from the intro cinematics, player would think thief would get some unnatural abilities to use in gameplay. But, than it just cuts of that story and begins something else.
Combat is not recommended at all, pure stealth is the only reliable playstyle.

tormund

Arcane
People are still paying attention to anduin's low effort crap?

Regarding the chances of another AAA Thief game, I'd say that one good thing about Thief 2014 is that it being such an utter failure means that Square probably won't touch this IP again anytime soon.

My thanks to whoever moved these posts here. This thread seems to be quite something alright.:lol:

Garrettt

Educated

Regarding the chances of another AAA Thief game, I'd say that one good thing about Thief 2014 is that it being such an utter failure means that Square probably won't touch this IP again anytime soon.

My thanks to whoever moved these posts here. This thread seems to be quite something alright.:lol:

I think the possibility of another Thief game is likely, Tomb Raider did worse and was seen as a bigger failure in squeenix's eyes yet it recieved a sequel so I wouldn't say it's completely out of the question for Thief to get one too.

If they decide to do another my only hope is that they actually listen to the community and work out their flaws (starting with introducing the ability to jump). The potential of a good modern thief game is there, they just have to work on their formula much more.

Even though the ending sucked I think generally speaking they improved Deus Ex Mankind Divided over Deus Ex Human Revolution, they seemed to listen to the community in what works and what doesn't and that gives me hope too.

tormund

Arcane
Garrettt

I think that most telling thing is how both SE and EM shirk from any mentions of Thief IP. Look at the last 2+ years and look for their representatives talking about Thief in any shape or form, compared to the likes of Hitman or TR. You just don't see that kind of thing happening with freshly AAA-reboted IPs of that caliber nowadays.
I'm pretty sure that Thief IP is shelved for good, for some time to come. If or when there is another one, it will most certainly be another reboot.

ortucis

Prophet
I got bored of Styx halfway through last time, there is nothing interesting in the game world that keeps you invested while the gameplay is VERY repetitive.

But it's still more challenging than Dishonored crap where I was so overpowered that I just stopped even hiding and started killing everyone (stealth build, of course). I have started to replay Styx to prepare for the upcoming sequel and one thing Styx does good is that you can't just rush in and try to kill everyone. Sure you can parry and kill guards easily, but that noise attracts others and more than one guard usually means you'll be dead in the fight. So you have to stick to the shadows always. Though I'll be honest, my way of playing stealth games since the days of Thief is to incapacitate every guard in the level, and then run around casually looting everything.. it still works in every stealth game other than Hitman.

J_C

One Bit Studio
Patron
Developer
Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
Though I'll be honest, my way of playing stealth games since the days of Thief is to incapacitate every guard in the level, and then run around casually looting everything.
Thank God I was not the only one who played it this way. :D

vortex

Fabulous Optimist

What about the licence? Also, Thief movie is in production so I don't think SE would sell the licence to some other studio.

Drakron

Arcane
What about the licence? Also, Thief movie is in production so I don't think SE would sell the licence to some other studio.

There are a lot of movies based in videogames that are in "production", it means they are trying to find suckers to back it ... I would not put much stock into it or that it will do anything more that other bideogame movie adaptations like Prince of Persia.

Square likely going to sit on it until it rots, sell it (like CCP did with WoD) or have another go at it ... if they wanted to have another go they would have done it already, they did with Tomb Raider (that didnt sell very well at launch) and with Hitman.

Beowulf

Arcane
I'm not following the forums either, but I recently reinstalled TDM and having great fun.
Some of the newest missions are really good, with nice visuals, pretty good voice acting, etc; but I think me taking a long break from good sneaky games definitely helped.
In my personal ranking I'd put it before Deadly Shadows, as it is now.

And there is no campaign per se, but there are series of missions. And some authors try to connect their various missions by creating a somewhat unified lore and inserting little nods and connections to previous missions.

Last edited:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom