Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Game News The New World Update #22: Faction Leaders Overview

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Tags: Colony Ship RPG; Iron Tower Studios; Vault Dweller

For what will likely be our final newspost for 2017, Vault Dweller has delivered another cool The New World development update. The update offers an overview of all of the faction leaders in the game's setting. We already had an update about the factions themselves last year, with additional "Freemen" factions mentioned in various updates since, and it's interesting to see how their concepts have evolved. The original faction list has been expanded and formalized, now consisting of three main factions, four lesser factions, and three armed mercenary gangs. Here are the leaders of those three main factions, whose descriptions tell us a lot about the recent history of the colony ship and what their respective faction quests might be about:

PROTECTORS OF THE MISSION

When Silas Reis was promoted, he was handed the same unfulfilled mandate as every Commander before him: restore order. The meaning of this directive was simple: to exterminate the Brotherhood wherever they skulked, crawled or hid, and finally end the generations-long Mutiny. If Reis were to doubt the likelihood of carrying out this objective, he was careful never to acknowledge it. Defeatism is heresy, and heresy is punishable by death.

Every member of the Mission Control Council which appointed Reis could trace his lineage back to the original crew. Since these wise elders occupied a perch far above reproach, any failure in furthering the directive must lie with the Commander. Failure at this level was also punishable by death.

Silas’ mentor, Commander Matheson, had been eight years in the role before his execution at the Council's order. They gave no reason for their decision but it was widely believed Matheson had been too timid in his persecution of mutinous filth. Immediately after his promotion ceremony, Commander Reis began planning a major assault against the Brotherhood. Whether or not his tenure would end in execution, no one would call him timid.

BROTHERHOOD OF LIBERTY

Bill Hanson, the Chairman of the Brotherhood's Executive Council, has served longer in that position than anyone before him due to his deft handling of the Council itself - a nest of bickering, backstabbing vipers. They were a never-ending headache and more dangerous, in Bill's opinion, than their archenemies, those blowhard fools calling themselves the 'Protectors of the Mission'.

In order to keep their teeth off his throat so he could bloody think for a goddamned minute, Bill had orchestrated a few small victories for the Protectors. The rapid reversal of those victories proved that the Chairman was a necessary evil to keep people safe, and talk of removing him from power had finally died down.

Taking advantage of this tiny bit of breathing room, Chairman Hanson had established an understanding with the Protectors' Commander Matheson, which may have blossomed into a working relationship and - just imagine it - an end to the hostilities. Then one of the snakes on the Council got wind of it and scuttled the whole deal.

Matheson was executed shortly thereafter and the Protectors appointed Colonel Reis, a known straight-edge and all round git, in his place. To Bill's mind, this kind of instability and rapid change didn't bode well for anyone. As for the Councilman who got Bill's maybe-friend killed... well, if there's one thing he could not abide, it was a snitch.

CHURCH OF THE ELECT

Chaplain-General Abraham Davis had been chosen by God to battle the Devil aboard Starfarer and to deliver her crew from evil. It was at times a wearisome burden. Some of his flock questioned the Devil's very existence. Hadn't they left the Father of Lies behind on Earth? Weren't they flying away from sin, and through the heavens at that? But Davis knew better, for God had opened his eyes.

The Mutiny had not been made by man. It was one of the Devil's sideways deceptions, pushing folks to choose either Protectors or Brotherhood as their saviors when both were the Devil's guises, diversions from the true path.

A less experienced leader would have struck at once. The two groups had been weakened by their endless skirmishing. But to bring the Church into their conflict prematurely, to leave themselves vulnerable to a counterattack, would invite the infection of the enemy's lies. The Chaplain-General was no such fool. He knew that once the Devil has made his home inside your door, no military victory would save you.

Instead, Abraham would bide his time and watch the two deluded factions like a hunter scouting dangerous prey. He would learn the enemy's habits and weaknesses. Sooner or later the Devil will make a mistake and then Abraham will strike. Then will be revealed the power and fury of the Lord.
Other faction leaders covered in the update include Mother Pale Glow, leader of the ship's mutants who we've read about before, Ava Miller of the enigmatic House of Ecclesiastes that controls the ship's life support systems, Mayor Jonas of the Pit and Captain Braxton of the Regulators, who we've seen before, Carlos Maney of the Grangers, an all-new faction that controls the ship's Hydroponics sector, Moses Jackson of Jackson's Riflemen, who we've also read about before, and Thomas Stanton of Thy Brother's Keepers, who have been mentioned before. Some of them don't have portraits yet, but according to Vault Dweller they should be added in the next few days.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Vault Dweller It seems like the concept for Jackson's Riflemen has changed the most. No mention of them being religious rednecks in this update, just a group of more-resourceful-than-usual scavs.

Vault Dweller

Commissar, Red Star Studio
Developer
They have to be religious, freedom-loving, tradition-respecting rednecks to be able to make a deal with any main faction. The update was already getting pretty long so I couldn't cover everything. As for Moses, he's a militia leader, reasonably charismatic and smart (smart enough to know how to survive and learn from his mistakes, the way predatory animals leading the pack are smart). Religion is one of the tools to control his men.

Who I was before I saw how the People of the Covenant: I bet there's a sexy slut hiding under that helmet
Who I was after I saw how the People looked: aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa

Twiglard

Poland Stronk
Patron
Staff Member
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut
Vault Dweller I hope there's one ending resulting in shutting down life support for all of the generation ship. Except maybe for the party and the reactor area.

Sounds like ECCL are the most important faction with all lore at their crib.

All this zealous nonsensical rhetoric kinda blends for me. Hard to tell one faction from another. I'd like for the rhetoric in description be made more neutral to make reading comprehension easier.

I hope faction members are more than "Talk to Levir and gtfo" like it was in AOD in Maadoran, etc. With some personal motivation and quests of any significance. And that SP allocation isn't the game.

We could create thrust by ejecting hostile factions' members at high velocities. Use a coil gun with the projectile weighted down by bodies in a container. It also eases on Ship's resources, prevents hostilities etc. Just make Ship rotate at controllable rates at desirable axes and a single coil gun will suffice.

huskarls maintaining the reactor.

Last edited:

Daedalos

Arcane
The Real Fanboy
Another update to my absolute most anticipated RPG - perhaps.. ever?

VD you and your team do beautiful work. I want to donate you guys some fucking money for this game. Hurry up and get dis to early access or whatevs.

Imma pledge 500 bux on dis shit, nigga !

Morkar Left

lacks at least asians, women and trannies for diversity...

Sounds like one of the more interesting rpgs in the pipeline and portrait artwork looks great for games.

Unwanted

Kalin

Unwanted
Dumbfuck Zionist Agent
15965.jpg
BUxvIcG.png

15966.jpg
1z3Ji5Y.png

Jaedar

Arcane
Patron
Project: Eternity Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pathfinder: Kingmaker
Every member of the Mission Control Council which appointed Reis could trace his lineage back to the original crew.
Vault Dweller wouldn't this be a fairly common ability though? And does knowing which exact crew members you spawned from really mean much when *everyone* is spawned from that same crew, no exceptions possible?

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Every member of the Mission Control Council which appointed Reis could trace his lineage back to the original crew.
Vault Dweller wouldn't this be a fairly common ability though? And does knowing which exact crew members you spawned from really mean much when *everyone* is spawned from that same crew, no exceptions possible?

It's a colony ship. "Crew" presumably means the command and technical staff who piloted and maintained the ship, not every single person on board.

Jaedar

Arcane
Patron
Project: Eternity Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pathfinder: Kingmaker

It's a colony ship. "Crew" presumably means the command and technical staff who piloted and maintained the ship, not every single person on board.
Hmm, I guess you are right.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
So, Vault Dweller, we have a timeline of the ship's history now. The great-grandfathers of the current faction leaders lived through the Mutiny. But how long was it before there was a mutiny? Has the Starfarer been in mutiny for longer than it's been under control?

Vault Dweller

Commissar, Red Star Studio
Developer
About the same. The cracks won't appear until the third generation and then you need a generation or two to reach the boiling point.

Self-Ejected

vivec

Self-Ejected
They have to be religious, freedom-loving, tradition-respecting rednecks to be able to make a deal with any main faction. The update was already getting pretty long so I couldn't cover everything. As for Moses, he's a militia leader, reasonably charismatic and smart (smart enough to know how to survive and learn from his mistakes, the way predatory animals leading the pack are smart). Religion is one of the tools to control his men.
Is this a secret twist on Alpha Centauri crew leaders? Because it would be super cool if you subverted it.

Kem0sabe

Arcane
Factions read a bit clichéd, I guess that's unavoidable to create some familiarity and interest by the player.

Portraits look as awesome as the AoD ones.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom