Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Crispy™ The Noah Caldwell-Gervais Thread

tormund

Arcane
Only YT video game analysts that in my opinion comes close to legends like BunnyHop or MrBTongue. I think that he is more that worthy of his dedicated thread, and that his analysis will be deeply appreciated by my fellow Codexers.

sullynathan

Arcane
Don't make a thread of him here. People on YouTube got butthurt because he's anti-gamergate and supposedly a feminist.

Some here don't like his voice, other than that I don't think he's posted many videos in a while.

tormund

Arcane
I can't help if you are bitter because he doesn't pander to people, but his analysis is nonetheless excellent.

Also, you are lying because he posted his analysis of the Mafia series recently

Video or two with months between them was always the standard upload frequency of his channel, as he puts insane amount of work and research into his videos.

Baron Dupek

Arcane
comes close to legends like BunnyHop or MrBTongue
who?

People on YouTube got butthurt because he's anti-gamergate and supposedly a feminist.
that's some bullshitlogic right there
can't watch (and god forbid - enjoy it!) or talk about Polanski's movies because his trial
It's like you want to neglect someone else work because something outside of his work is offensive for someone (and he got misfortune to reveal this offensive thing compared to other and better people who still hide their disadvantages well)

tormund

Arcane
^Perpetually offended right winger are perpetually offended, as seen from the reaction to BunnyHop's recent remarks on Trump and Brexit.

I would prefer if we kept this thread free of politics though.

Baron Dupek

Arcane
I would prefer if we kept this thread free of politics though.
I was talking about more about neglecting for things outside of their work (mostly offensive, often politic-related). I'm just against this logic but whatever...
Watched briefly some of his videos, see he made few good points...might watch later when I find free time. Even though I'm not a fan of these videos (played games long enough to have own opinion)

sexbad?

Arcane
Patron
Codex USB, 2014
i watched his doom 3 video a long time ago and it was pretty bad. i think he was also the guy who came in his trousers because far cry sequel-style villains were exactly what the wolfenstein series needed.

Glaucon

Prophet
Regardless of his politics, he's still a tryhard hipster faggot.
His videos about literature are college freshman level cringe. He's an oaf whenever he tries to access games on a socialogical/political level--though I've only ever seen him do that offhandedly or jokingly. Usually he sticks to mechanical and aesthetic analysis and he's pretty good at it. Thoroughly enjoyed his Fallout 4 video.

sser

Arcane
Developer
This Noah guy sounds like those scientists from Half Life.

Damn, nailed it. I kept thinking his voice sounded so familiar. Got a bit of suburban white Morgan Freeman too.

Also, I just don't think it should a fucking hour or hour and a half to talk about a game. Is this some new 'analysis' format, to just bloat the utter fuck out of a video until it's movie-length or something?

tormund

Arcane
Videos are long because they are extremely in depth. Same is the reason for him taking months to create new one, he puts crazy amount of work in each and every one compared to other YT game analysts.

BTW, he mentioned that one of his upcoming vids will be his analysis of the Thief series, including the reboot, so that will be of some interest to us Codexers.

The only person on youtube whose 'analysis' videos are worth the time is Ahoy. In addition to sharp perception, he has mastered something these millenial cuck faggots who post 3 hour videos on a game sorely need - synthesis and brevity.

Skittles

He ruins the fun.
The only person on youtube whose 'analysis' videos are worth the time is Ahoy. In addition to sharp perception, he has mastered something these millenial cuck faggots who post 3 hour videos on a game sorely need - synthesis and brevity.

Sell me on this. Which one(s) are his best? My mind reeled when I saw that he has like 20 CoD videos for every non-CoD video.

MrBTongue is worth checking out. Usually interesting, even if his cRPG coverage boils down to loving Fallout, Torment, and the Witcher 1 plus explaining why Mass Effect 3 and Diablo 3 suck. I like his Bladerunner, "The Great Infinity Engine Do-Over," and "WTF happened to Bioware?" videos. He even manages to upload 1.5 times a year!

Super Bunnyhop makes a lot of good videos about games I don't give a fuck about, but I like the coverage--recently talking about changing trends in mulitplayer FPSs or how the new Hitman succeeds/fails. Almost no cRPG coverage to speak of (PoE, Morrowind, and the Witcher franchise might be the closest he comes), so be forewarned.

Which one(s) are his best?

Doom: - I disagree when he says that multiplayer is what gave Doom longevity. Just look at the .WAD scene still going strong almost 25 years later.

Quake:

Zombies: I was mainly speaking of this one when I mentioned brevity.

pippin

Ahoy has some longer videos, but he has way more charisma (dat golden radio voice) and knows how to present his content in a very interesting manner. Not seeing his face is also a plus imo. Oddly interesting how this seems to divide people who care about stuff from popamole whores like NCG.

I like the DF retro videos, but that doesn't really apply to what we're talking about here...

sexbad?

Arcane
Patron
Codex USB, 2014
ahoy sounds like one of those annoying shits the history channel hires for documentaries to make war crimes sound cool. hes unbearable to listen to.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom