Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

The NON-Steam Bargain Sale Mega Thread of Savings

Zeus

Cipher
Who needs Steam when you can not-buy games at not-costly prices like these?

Update (2012-04-10) : Since there's no point in keeping an expired PvZ sale as the first post, I'm turning this into a quickie guide for non-Steam purchases. It's stuff 99% of stuff Brodexians already know, but someone might find it useful, so here goes.

A Quick Guide to Non-Steam Deals

Where to Find Sales

• IsThereAnyDeal - A recent favorite, at the top you'll find a countdown list of current bundles on sale.
  • SavyGamer - This is the site cited by Rock, Paper, Shotgun for their weekly Bargain Bucket article.
  • Deals4Downloads - Suggested by Bruticis a few posts down. You can make a wishlist of watched games and check it every morning. I am in love. <3
  • Didimatic - Another digital sale aggregation service. Neato.
  • Slickdeals - Lots of mainstream/casual titles, but they mention the rare killer deals.
  • Indie Game Bundles - A new site that promises to hunt down deals on bundles.
  • /r/GameDeals - The Game Deals subreddit.
  • Right here, ya ingrate!
Where to Buy Games

Good Old Games
Hail to the king, baby. If you lived through the 90s, this is a nostalgia rush every bit as satisfying as hopping in a time machine and making out with pre-Hep-C Pamela Anderson. Good old Games titles are 100% DRM free and rejiggered to play nice with Windows 7. Best of all, they only want $6 for most of the classics, including -- ahem -- Master of Magic.
Pros: Offers nearly everything from the 90s worth playing. Gives away free games fairly regularly (the latest being Fallout). Games come with loads of freebies, from soundtracks to strategy guides to AIM AVATAR ICONZEZ.
Cons: GOG doesn't have the strong-arm Walmart "insane deal" tactics of the other guys, so you won't find many "80 games for $5!" type deals. A few of the games have NOT been made to work with modern systems, including Blood and some others. A few games, like Master of Orion 2, are pre-patched with fan patches, presumably by Atari and not GOG, since you literally can't buy a new non-patched MOO2 anywhere.
DRM 100% DRM-Free goodness. No serial numbers, online activations, install limits, nothing. For that reason alone, if money is no object, GOG is always the best place to buy a title. There's a downloader, but you can just download titles from your web browser, and once you have the installation file, you can archive it and install it twenty years from now, after the Spider Mechanoids have enslaved humanity.
http://af.gog.com/?as=1649904300

Gamers Gate
With Direct2Drive absorbed by the GameStop blob, Gamers Gate is the best place to find mainstream titles and the aforementioned insane deals. Most recently, the 1C Complete Pack went for a measley $20.
Pros You get blue coins for buying games, which can be exchanged for titles. You also get them for reviewing games, so cheapskate writers like me can whore out their talents for free games. (Thanks, LundB!). Last time I checked, game patches are separate, so purists who want to stick to version 1.0 of a game can choose not to update the titles. If you buy a bundle containing games you already have, you can gift them to others.
Cons: They make you download games using a downloader, a form of DRM only required for installation.
DRM: Many titles have no DRM, even ones that used to (Space Ragers, etc.). Be warned that some older titles still carry the dreaded STARFORCE VIRUS legit anti-piracy measure. Lookin' at you, Fantasy Wars. You need the Gamers Gate Downloader to log in, download and install your games, but after that no client is required, and the Downloader leaves behind temp installation files you can burn to disc and archive.
http://www.gamersgate.com/

Okay, I am lazy, more to come.

Corrections? PM me!

Original Post:

Plants vs Zombies: Game of the Year Edition is on sale for $3 at Big Fish Games.

Just enter the coupon code: sdzombie

http://www.bigfishgames.com/download-ga ... index.html

Yes, this is the version with Disco Stu replacing Michael Jackson. But the original retail release is a friggin' collectors item.

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
But... but... it's on sale at Steam for that price... with hats!

Gragt

Arcane
Patron
Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin
Tomb Raider week on GamersGate with 60% off of Underworld, Anniversary and The Guardian of Light.

Destroid

Arcane
Who gave plants vs zombies game of the year, that was an awful game. It'd buy it for negative dollars.

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
PvZ was great -- maybe you have skewed expectations of what a casual tower defense game should offer?

Sceptic

Arcane
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin
Syberia for $4 at GOG as today's special deal.

Was toying with getting Gothic 2 Gold for $4 when that was on sale, but it's not anymore.

Admiral jimbob

gay as all hell
Wasteland 2
Sceptic said:
Was toying with getting Gothic 2 Gold for $4 when that was on sale, but it's not anymore.

I'm still smug about grabbing G2 Gold for £0.45 during a Steam pricing bug :smug:

Of course, as LordDenton tells us, that's just the normal price off Amazon.

Destroid

Arcane
Metro said:
PvZ was great -- maybe you have skewed expectations of what a casual tower defense game should offer?

Banal

Shit

Boring

Sums up the game pretty nicely. I played the demo and it made me want to gauge my eyes out. Sorry but shit games don't get bonus points for being made for people who don't play games.

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
Destroid said:
Metro said:

Banal

Shit

Boring

Sums up the game pretty nicely. I played the demo and it made me want to gauge my eyes out. Sorry but shit games don't get bonus points for being made for people who don't play games.

I play plenty of games and thought it was fine.

DwarvenFood

Arcane
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Codex USB, 2014 Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
Same here.. PvZ is quite enjoyable but everyone has got their own taste in games. In the worst case it is good for what it is, but I actually finished this game a couple of times and enjoyed maintaining the garden.

Sceptic

Arcane
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin
Dragonsphere is now on GOG, for FREE.

If you have a GOG account, go get it ASAP. If you don't have a GOG account, go get one ASAP and then get it.

It's a great little adventure game, the third and last Microprose made on this engine (after Rex Nebular and Return of the Phantom), and IMO the best one. Good puzzles, a much-better-than-expected story with a superb twist, good graphics, good music, and a very nicely crafted world. The size makes me suspect the CD version, which IIRC adds speech of unknown quality.

Zeus

Cipher
Sceptic, you beat me to it!

Hehe, anyway, GOG is having a sale on Atari Strategy games, which is the only good thing about Atari snatching up the rights to my favorite strategy game:

http://www.gog.com/en/promo/atari_strategies

Save 50% off if you buy them all ($2.99 each) or save 30% when buying a few ($4.19 each).

Master of Magic
Master of Orion 1+2
Master of Orion 3
Total Annihilation: Commander Pack
Total Annihilation: Kingdoms + Expansion

If you haven't bought Master of Magic yet, now's your chance. And if you pass up this chance, you're not invited to my birthday party for cake ice cream and strippers.

Ruprekt

Scholar
Dragonsphere was awesome. The control scheme is similar to an extended atlanits/monkeyisland era SCUMM parser.

Plus it came packaged like a hard back book.

-- on the speech. This was my first :bounce: CD-ROM :bounce: game so my recollection is probably rose tinted. I remember it being ok but the quality was kinda bad (lots of hiss on an 8 bit sound blaster).

--- tried the GoG download and voice acting is not bad at all. No hiss so either it was my shitty 8bit soundblaster or they've remastered the files.

Gragt

Arcane
Patron
GamersGate is doing a big sale on their 1C catalog with pretty much 70% off of everything. There are some gems to be had there, hidden or not, like the King's Bounty games, Ascension to the Throne, Cryostasis, Death to Spies, etc.

Bruticis

I've been curious about Death to Spies, are they good? Is one better then the other? What's the gameplay like? It reminds me of Hitman just looking at screenshots.

Gragt

Arcane
Patron
I never played a Hitman game but from what I know of them and the DtS serie, they are very much alike with some little differences. The setting is one of them, and for a WW2 game it manages to be refreshing by having a character allied with the soviets. That means that while your primary targets will be Germans, it's not like you're cooperating with the English or Americans. Then the whole thing is incredibly difficult and one little mistake will be your doom, but then again completing a mission feels so rewarding. It also has some nice touches, like you are able to steal a uniform from an enemy but if you killed them with a gun or knife the uniform will be ruined and unusable. AI is also pretty good and can do cool things: if you dress up in a certain way, say like a mechanic, getting access to certain rooms where you are not supposed to be will raise suspicion. Likewise do not expect to have an easy time walking around if you take the clothes of a high ranking officer because those people should be known and getting too close to guards can blow your cover up.

The two games are good, with the second one usualy seen as the best. But make no mistake: each is very difficult and you'll need a lot of patience to complete it.

SCO

Arcane
In My Safe Space
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
Sceptic said:
If you have a GOG account, go get it ASAP. If you don't have a GOG account, go get one ASAP and then get it.

No.

Angthoron

Arcane
Gragt said:
GamersGate is doing a big sale on their 1C catalog with pretty much 70% off of everything. There are some gems to be had there, hidden or not, like the King's Bounty games, Ascension to the Throne, Cryostasis, Death to Spies, etc.

Faces of War is also pretty good, so's Men of War, and Fantasy Wars is quite enjoyabe as well. In general, looking at the lineup they have there makes me realize that 1C has quite a few good games under its publishing belt, and while they do publish a lot of decline crap, they also seem to fund some genuinely good games as well.

While on subject of sales, for the European folk, there's some stuff for fairly low price on play.com at the moment, including Spellforce Universe, Hitman Ultimate Contract and Thief collection for 5£ each.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom