Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

The "of War" Series

spectre

Arcane
I recently tried Men of War for a bit, and wanted to share some thoughts.

I remember the series started out as Soldiers, which had some promise, but really, really liked polish. Not to mention the absurdity of some missions - take these two men, a can opener and a paper knife, go forth and reduce this panzer division to scrap metal.

Tangent:
Actually reminds me of an old russian joke:
A priveate comes running to the red army commanding officer:
-Comrade Lewtenant, tawarziszcz, panzers are coming.
-Panzers? Skolko?
-About eight, comrade lewtenant.
-Take this grenade, take them out.
-Za rodinu, comerade.
After a while, the private returns, dog tired:
-So, are the panzers taken out, comerade?
-Da, comerade lewtenant.
-The motherland is proud, now give the grenade back.
/tangent

Now, looking at the latest installment, I am of two minds, on the one hand I like all the details like vehicle damage and char equipment, but the problem is that the devs borked the controls - there's no way in hell you can micromanage all that while commanding more than 50 units. The controls are all wrong - they are ok for three 6 man squads and two tanks, while the game gives you a whole division. It is fun to take manual control every onceina while, but if you take too long, it may cost you units (and tanks can be really fragile in this game).
I have no problems with operatin on the scale propsed by Men of War, but truth be told, I prefer a bit smaller squads than what it gives me.

So now, a question for the people who played it more, should I bother with Red Tide? Or is the scale similar. And how is Faces of War? Same? Better? Any other expansions I may like?

1eyedking

Erudite
spectre said:
Actually reminds me of an old russian joke:
A priveate comes running to the red army commanding officer:
-Comrade Lewtenant, tawarziszcz, panzers are coming.
-Panzers? Skolko?
-About eight, comrade lewtenant.
-Take this grenade, take them out.
-Za rodinu, comerade.
After a while, the private returns, dog tired:
-So, are the panzers taken out, comerade?
-Da, comerade lewtenant.
-The motherland is proud, now give the grenade back.
:lol:

bozia2012

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again!
"Pause/Break" not working?

Faces of War are definitely more polished and a bit easier - you don't have to save the game every 3 minutes in 5 different slots. I've even managed to finish some missions on the first take! There's definitely more Call of Duty than Commandos in it.

Erzherzog

Magister
I prefer Men of War over Red Tide and Faces.

Red Tide focuses solely on infantry and very weak vehicles.

I found Faces quite boring.

MoW MP is definitely where it's at.

Boyarpunk

Hey there, fuckface-uh!
Patron
Codex 2013 Codex 2014 Codex USB, 2014
Men of War is tight. Good mission variety, brutal difficulty and an AI that has some semblance of tactical skill.

But yeah, it has the worst voice acting in recent memory. The Soviet voices, in particular, sound like D-List American voice actors trying to do their best unintentionally hilarious exaggerated Russian accents.

Big Nose George

Educated
I remember the series started out as Soldiers, which had some promise, but really, really liked polish. Not to mention the absurdity of some missions - take these two men, a can opener and a paper knife, go forth and reduce this panzer division to scrap metal.

I only played Soldiers. Dont agree with the polish statement. Everything worked for me. I actually found the overkill missions good. They were challenging and they had multiple solutions. Though my playstyle basically was to get as soon as possible a vehicle. Than you are kinda invurnable if you play without the fog of war. Playing with it must be masochistic, while I enjoy spankings too, there is a limit.
Have fond memories of breaking the game by getting vehicles you are not supposed to get. At least I think I was not supposed to get because the driving team instantly disappears in the light tank and I dont have anti armor weaponry anywhere on the map.
Grenades are awesome. Positioning a soldier at a corner and mow down everything in direct control is system abuse but fun.

oldmanpaco

Master of Siestas
When I saw this thread I thought it was going to be about the Ancient Art or War series. Does that make me old?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom