Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

The Official Origin of the term "blobber"

Disciple

Savant
Fiddling around with the forum search I came across what may be the first use of the term "blob" to refer to dungeon crawlers in which the party moves and fights as one:
Wiz 7 is one of those "Your party is a big blob with multiple arms" style combats though. They really give me the shits, I like being able to individually move characters, so you can flank, put the fighters in place to intercept stuff going for the wizards etc.

And I totally second both Icewind Dale 2 (IWD 2) and Temple of Elemental Evil (ToEE) as very good Fantasy Tactical combat simulators. Both should still be available in software stores with a little bit of looking, for very cheap prices. In Australia I have seen IWD2 bundled with IWD + all the IWD expansions for not very much

This post [Mar 26, 2005] predates Shagnak's and it was probably his source of inspiration for his later posts (notice he posted earlier in that thread). Shagnak fully embraced the term and used it several times from then on: #1 - #2 - #3 - #4 - #5. The user Zomg (who would eventually coin the "blobber" label) was the first one to question the meaning of "blob game" in early 2006—his query was never answered, by the way :lol:. It seems the term gained some traction later that year, and several other posters started using it: Jasede, Ladonna, aweigh... By the end of 2007 the Codex had its first thread featuring the term "blob" in the title: The Walking Blob.

Last edited:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom