Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

The Old Camp is the most logical choice lore-wise.

OctavianRomulus

Learned
I've come to the conclusion that the Old Camp is the most logical choice one would take if the Gothic universe existed.

To demonstrate, just think about what the purpose of the colony is: To mine magic ore in order to combat the orcs. This means that the colony, the barrier and everything in it, are the property of the Kingdom of Myrtana.

Let's take a look at the objectives of the other two camps and why they are destined for failure, even if they somehow succeeded in their objectives.

The New Camp wants to use a big ore mound to blow up the Barrier. This is a terrible idea for multiple reasons. First, it sounds extremely dangerous, second it is basically terrorism, and third, the Colony and everything in it belongs to the Kingdom of Myrtana. So you are potentially killing yourself and everyone in the colony and perhaps even the whole island. You would be destroying government property that contains crucial resources for the war effort and EVEN IF you succeed, everyone from the New Camp would be an outlaw and killed on sight AND you will probably take the fall for it. The only people who would come out clean would probably be the Magicians of Water who would use the mercenaries as convenient scapegoats.

The Swamp Camp is not only guilty of idol worship, that is basically an evil deity that is in league with the main enemy of the Kingdom but EVEN IF they succeed, like the New Camp, they would be branded as outlaws not only for escaping their prison sentences but also for terrorism and the destruction of government property that contains crucial war resources. On top of that, they would be challenging the hegemony of the main religion of the Kingdom with an ideology that promotes fanaticism, terrorism and indolence, adding even more instability to an already crumbling kingdom. So you've got a bunch of crazy zealots who smoke weed all day that would pose a big risk to the Church of Innos. I'm sure the Paladins would crack down HARD on these mofos if they ever got out and they would 100% deserve it.

Even if these choices are illogical, they make 100% sense. Most of the inhabitants of the colony are, after all, criminals, who would kill their own mother for a paltry 25 gold pieces. Poor decision making and lack of foresight are what got them there in the first place.

Like it or not, the people of the Old Camp are the closest group we have approximating the king's retinue. Sure, they are shifty bunch of cutthroats but they supply ore to the king, therefore indirectly fighting the orcs and are the only semblance of order in the Colony. If they ever got out, due to unforeseen consequences, they are the group most likely to be shown clemency by the king. If I were Gomez in this situation, I would do everything in my power to show the king that I am still on his side, probably starting by making an example of all the people in the Old Camp who would challenge the rule of the king inside the Old Camp and/or try to escape. The purpose of the Colony was, after all, to mine ore, and I would do everything in my power to maintain this purpose, even with the destruction of the barrier. It would add to the Old Camp's chance of survival.

Last edited:

Zanzoken

Arcane
I agree that joining the Old Camp makes the most sense, but not for those reasons. I think the main character would choose the Old Camp because he's worried about survival and Diego is a bro who seems willing to help out.

Fwiw I think he'd join the Mercenaries in G2 for the same reason. Because he already knows and trusts Lee, Gorn, and several of the other ex-prisoners.

OctavianRomulus

Learned
I agree that joining the Old Camp makes the most sense, but not for those reasons. I think the main character would choose the Old Camp because he's worried about survival and Diego is a bro who seems willing to help out.

Fwiw I think he'd join the Mercenaries in G2 for the same reason. Because he already knows and trusts Lee, Gorn, and several of the other ex-prisoners.

I wasn't talking necessarily about the player's choice but what it would make the most sense for some random NPC.

Salvo

Arcane

I wasn't talking necessarily about the player's choice but what it would make the most sense for some random NPC.
But NH IS some random NPC

Lord_Potato

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine

That's basically the path my PC took. First Old Camp, then New Camp, then Mercenaries. Always thought that after being fucked by the government and thrown to prison he would not be too keen to join the Militia/Paladins.

The true difficult choice appears in Gothic 3. Sure, the rebels support the cause of Rhobar the Dickhead. However, Orcs are the very creatures our PC has been killing for two games already. It's unlikely he would switch sides to the inhuman one now... and yet the option to do it and fuck Rhobar one final time is there... and its tempting.

Dodo1610

Arcane
:lol::lol:
The old camp is literally the cuck option. You work yourself to death in the mines or guard the camp in the cold night. With zero hopes of escaping. While Gomez sleeps in his warm bed and fucks his wide selection of sex slaves.

Xamenos

Magister
Patron
Pathfinder: Wrath
Oh no, not the destruction of government property. Only terrorists do that. Better obey the king and slave away at the mines for your entire life. Don't even think about escaping or fighting for your freedom, peon. We wouldn't want the king to get crass with you, would we?

just

Liturgist
my grandma went to concentration camp didnt stay long damn americans ruined it

JarlFrank

I like Thief THIS much
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Oh no, not the destruction of government property. Only terrorists do that. Better obey the king and slave away at the mines for your entire life. Don't even think about escaping or fighting for your freedom, peon. We wouldn't want the king to get crass with you, would we?

The funniest part about this is the assumption that convicted criminals working in a penal colony would give a single shit about government property or committing acts of terrorism.

For all we know, that's what got them in there in the first place!

Heinrich

Scholar
I think joining the Old Camp is best, at least on your first playthrough, because it has the best narrative flow. While you should do all the sidequests anyway, joining the Old Camp puts a nice capstone into the first part of the game. You end up spending a lot of time in the other two camps after that, so you have a nice progression of Old Camp -> Swamp Camp -> New Camp that fits the overall beat of the story. It gives the Old Camp turning hostile a lot more narrative impact, while you don't really care if you joined one of the other camps.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom