Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

KickStarter The One Ring 2e Kickstarter launched already got $600k day one

Bara

Arcane

Story
d50bd7eebed917d3a7580064ed3758c7_original.jpg

Art by Martin Grip
Dearest Balin,

Almost six years have passed already since the last time you were here. I remember very well everything you and Gandalf said when we met. You were alarmed, and I took your warnings at heart, but I don’t think you would find it surprising to know that news of a nameless threat is hard to believe here in the dear old Shire. Gandalf came to see me again, on several occasions. He seems to care about our friendship, and he says I should indeed be worried, but his vague words of warning hardly make even less of a dent in the general sense of peace and protection that we enjoy here, away in the north-west.

But don’t think that I am completely clueless! All I need to know is to have a look at… the stuff I collected in my adventures to remember that there is a wide and dangerous world out there. Sometimes I even miss it, the road, the thrill, the narrow escapes. It’s my Tookish side. But then I look at my beautiful garden, my snapdragons and sunflowers, my trailing nasturtians… how they glow, red and golden, more beautiful than any Dragon-hoard that ever was, and I am back to being a Baggins.

I hope that what I say won’t be too much of a disappointment to you. You haven’t asked yet, but I know that you mean to invite me to join you in that Moria adventure you are always talking about. I am afraid that I have spent enough time crawling in the dark under the Misty Mountains not to wish to do that ever again! But there’s a good bunch of eager lads and lasses here that you might find to your liking. Why, they are just waiting for no more than a nod in their direction from me or from our Grey friend to go off into the blue for mad adventures! Theirs is an age that is more appropriate to that type of business, believe me, and I have taught them a thing or two. I suspect that Gandalf has too...

From a letter from Bilbo Baggins, Esq. to Balin son of Fundin

a16cbec8fe4c9239eaec2c3b4df3e08e_original.jpg

dd57d0370ca503366391709b161c547f_original.jpg

The One Ring RPG Core Rules (Standard Edition)

“This is the Master-ring, the One Ring to rule them all.”

The One Ring™ is a roleplaying game based on The Hobbit™ and The Lord of the Rings™, two extraordinary works of fiction by the beloved author and respected academic, John Ronald Reuel Tolkien, published in partnership with Sophisticated Games.

First released in 2011, its award-winning design was hailed as the best attempt at bringing Middle-earth to the gaming table to date, thanks to its thematic rules and painstaking attention to detail. For 10 years, players of the game have traveled far and wide across Middle-earth, adventuring for multiple decades of game time.

Today, it is time for the game to enter a new era – this new edition of The One Ring brings players further into the Twilight of the Third Age with a new hardbound volume, presenting:

• A set of updated and streamlined rules, developed thanks to years of players’ feedback and raising the game to the standards of quality that have made Free League so popular.
  • A new setting to experience – the Lone-lands of Eriador in the year is 2965 of the Third Age. This is a vast land that once saw the glory of the North Kingdom of the Dúnedain.
  • A complete visual redesign of art and graphics, offering a view of Middle-earth that is fresh and familiar at the same time.
fd3a59319047238f3f12cf8c4c61a380_original.jpg

b10e65d5dad515da60a57ddaf3c07874_original.jpg

0e72928dbb2eee00e81ffd4c7d748e44_original.jpg

Sample Spreads (Work in Progress)
f7a01bba676bfb74baa95fdbfa5ddc71_original.jpg

To celebrate the 10th anniversary of The One Ring RPG, we're delighted to offer an unique Collector’s Edition of the game. This deluxe volume is bound in faux leather with gold foil-stamped adornments and Tengwar script. The Collector's Edition is exclusive to this Kickstarter and will never be printed again.

3dbb16a802d41e7d447cc9466428fe20_original.jpg

The Exclusive Collector's Edition, With Faux Leather Covers and Gold Foil Script

121c947f5855d913f8f21af166bd4952_original.jpg

“The Enemy still lacks one thing to give him strength and knowledge to beat down all resistance, break the last defences, and cover all the lands in a second darkness. He lacks the One Ring.”

The One Ring is set in the Twilight of the Third Age, a time-frame comprising the events narrated in The Hobbit™ and the start of The Lord of the Rings™. Encompassing more than six decades, this period is ushered in when Bilbo the Hobbit finds the Ruling Ring, and culminates with the war fought by the Free Peoples against the Dark Lord Sauron, and the destruction of the Ring.

The year is 2965 of the Third Age, and the players create a Company of heroes, Hobbits, Dwarves, Elves and Men seeking adventure in the Lone-lands of Eriador. It is a desolate country, a vast land that once saw the glory of the North Kingdom of the Dúnedain, the Men of the West. Here, many wars were fought, and countless ruins dot its landscape. Shadows move along its paths, and not all of them belong to the living. It is here that the One Ring lies, a seed of the past that will one day lead the world to open war against the returning Shadow.

This edition of The One Ring moves the focus of the game to the lands of Old Arnor, with a full description of the town of Bree and the surrounding areas, including famous locales like Weathertop, Fornost and Annuminas, providing the players with a new starting point for their adventures.

The Enemy is moving, and smoke issues once more from Mount Doom, in the land of Mordor...

3c3c4b818b9d82bd6dae97db80429fab_original.jpg

Art by Alvaro Tapia
031e7c35898ef3f7f94d1fdc87287386_original.jpg

“… you have been chosen, and you must therefore use such strength and heart and wits as you have.”

In The One Ring, players create individuals who led an ordinary life until something made them realize that they were simply pretending that shadows weren’t growing nearer and nearer every year. They are not soldiers or mercenaries, nor are they subtle Wizards trying to weave the threads spun by fate: they are adventurous souls representing the various Free Peoples opposing the return of the Shadow.

The core gameplay of The One Ring revolves around two alternate phases — the Adventuring Phase and the Fellowship Phase. This structure follows the deeds of the players not only geographically, as they explore the land in pursuit of their goals, but also chronologically, as time passes and the Twilight of the Third Age enfolds.

The game mechanics have been created from the ground up to match the source material and emulate the action as depicted in The Lord of the Rings™ and The Hobbit™. They feature a set of custom dice, but the game can also be played using a standard set including a 12-sided die and at least six 6-sided dice. The accessibility and elegance of the system fits in perfectly with other games by Free League.

This new edition of the game further reinforces the connection between its mechanics and the stories that inspired them. The rules for things like hero creation or the use of Hope have been tweaked to make the game run smoothly without sacrificing their faithfulness to the sources, while those for Journeys and Councils, for example, have been completely redesigned. New rules, like those for Magical die results, have been added to evoke elements that are vital to the theme of the game, like the subtle magic of Middle-earth.

The new edition will be compatible with modules for the first edition, requiring only minor tweaking.

29e7675d86d2c04090bb0bacbbc4453f_original.jpg

Art by Martin Grip
3b6ab41a6df6c834ead2259e92dddcda_original.jpg

Created for the first time for this edition of the game, the Starter Set contains everything you need to start playing, and more! Focused on the Shire, this set allows for new players to enter the world of Middle-earth from the land of the Hobbits, where all the stories began. A number of pre-generated characters allow players to take the road to adventure in no time. The boxed set, mainly written by seasoned RPG writer James Spahn, includes:

• Condensed rules, including everything you need to start playing in Middle-earth.
  • An adventure compendium, presenting a number of adventures to be played using the pre-generated characters contained in the box.
  • Pre-generated characters of esteemed Hobbits like Drogo Baggins, Paladin Took, Primula Brandybuck or Lobelia Baggins, and more.
If we exceed our base funding goal, we will add more content to the boxed set as stretch goals. You can read more about these under Stretch Goals, below. A summary:

• A huge full-color map (format format 720 x 558 mm) of the Shire and Eriador, created by Francesco Mattioli.
  • Six square Stance Cards, used to keep track of the fighting stance of characters in combat
  • A set of engraved custom dice, with six D6 Success Dice and one D12 Feat Die.
  • Approximately 30 Item Cards for weapons, shield and armor, all beautifully illustrated.
  • A full compendium of the Shire, detailing the land of the Hobbits for The One Ring for the first time.
  • And more...
e64a3740c385e84e4a0cf1aa5e5bab57_original.gif

The One Ring Starter Set – Contents Added as Stretch Goals are Unlocked
dd5813445c9db863741d02c6b449105c_original.jpg

We know that many of you have been enjoying roleplaying in Middle-earth using the fifth edition ruleset in the Adventures in Middle-Earth. We are working on a new edition for the 5E rules as well – but it is not part of this Kickstarter. More information about this will follow in the months to come.

8c4a4b37b1728b69e564e06e8d040899_original.jpg

We love friendly local gaming stores all over the world and want to forge an even closer relationship with you. We offer a retailer pledge, including five copies each of the core rules and the boxed starter set (including printed stretch goals), at a heavily discounted retailer price.

By taking part in this Kickstarter as a retailer, you make sure you get the games on time for the official release later this year, and you get them at a lower cost than through normal distribution channels. As an added bonus, your pledges will contribute to unlocking stretch goals, and you get access to all updates and sneak peeks of the game here on the Kickstarter.

For more information about how we work with retailers, and to get early information about our upcoming releases, sign up to our monthly retailer newsletter!

Please note that retailer pledges are only available to actual retailers. You will be asked to present your company organization number when confirming your pledge in the pledge manager.

8ab8e6a9b2171ddcb1c5da02afaf2130_original.jpg

Art by Martin Grip
2bd5f4bf02cd8bf9cdbf5d4d04c262ba_original.jpg

With your help, we can make The One Ring even more amazing and, among other things, load the Starter Set up with even more items:

3b2cf13d4f4726590955c87a91e3f3b8_original.jpg

Never tried the 1E version how was the system? As they say 2E would only require tweaks to use the old material with it.

Bester

⚰️☠️⚱️
Patron
Vatnik
Almost a million already? I'm not sure the backers realize it's a tabletop game, not a PC game.

Enkidu

Novice
I like the system a lot, but never had the chance to play.
Click here I expect a pc 2nd edition Dnd set in LOTR setting game

Expectation: failed!
And this is the reason, Its always good to distance yourself of people who think that Middle Earth and D&D could go hand to hand.

Lagi

Savant
Free League make awesome books. This seems to be no exceptions. Great bookcover, i love the crude geometry and mono color of red ring esthetic with realistic drawn characters - have no idea what that suppose to mean ("its a hardcore game, but in your imagination" or smth), but its awesome. I think i will buy this one as well (no preoders!), however Im afraid they would just redone 1st edition, because they would be afraid to change some stuff.

===========

mechanics:
1x d12 + X d6 number equal to your skill >= 14 , to succeed.

if you fail, you may spend Hope, to increase result by your Atribute value.

------
nice touch to dice rolling is that some value on dice are dezactivated when you tired.
or grant degree of success (or auto success).

Bara

Arcane
Anyone know if they're going to open the pre-orders? I missed the kickstarter

Sometime this week will be your last chance to preorder.

Pledge Manager Opens This Week
Free LeagueCreator
April 13, 2021

Hello!

While the ins and outs of shipping took a little longer than expected to get sorted, the pledge manager is now ready to launch and will go live in just a couple of days, most likely on Thursday. You will then get an email with the invite, and anyone who missed the Kickstarter campaign will be able to jump aboard as a late backer.

From a production standpoint, the text for the Core Rules and Starter Set are nearly complete and we are heading into layout. This is an exciting step as everything comes together - boring looking word files turn into beautiful pages with art, color and iconography! When we have some more spreads to show you we will post them here. There is of course also the Alpha PDF that you will get access to as soon as we can possibly make it.

One thing you haven't seen yet is the Eriador map by Francesco Mattioli. It will be a little bit longer before we can show you the entire map in color, but we will be able to share an inked preview of the map very soon. The pledge manager will be open for several months, so if you are undecided you can of course wait to see the final color version of the map.

When the pledge manager goes live we will make another update. But for now, lets have a look at some new art from Jan Pospíšil that you will se in The One Ring™ Starter Set.

/Free League

438dc75ad83098dad5ec3d41760d66a6_original.jpg

Art by Jan Pospíšil.
bae5a1a3ac505f1a13033e795fe64280_original.jpg

Art by Jan Pospíšil.

30cc8700d95b46148c3757c419276a9c_original.jpg

Art by Jan Pospíšil.
PS. if you enjoy fantasy roleplaying and would like to see more amazing art by Martin Grip (who does the color art for The One Ring), you might want to take a look at the Kickstarter we just launched for Ruins of Symbaroum, the 5E adaptation for our acclaimed dark fantasy RPG Symbaroum. This project is managed by a completely different team from The One Ring, so it won't have any negative impact on this project, promise!

Acrux

Arcane
Is this worth picking up if I own everything from the first edition?

ADL

Prophet
Still haven't played the new edition of TOR because this is a bad town for p&p but I'm going to continue grabbing these collector's editions. The last one was really nice.

88ba82d94059e50da2e94cc348caf12d_original.jpg

(the original)
3dbb16a802d41e7d447cc9466428fe20_original.jpg

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom