Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Development Info The Outer Worlds Documentary by Noclip - Part One: From Concept to Creation

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Tags: Brian Heins; Daniel Alpert; Leonard Boyarsky; Obsidian Entertainment; The Outer Worlds; Tim Cain

We're told that The Outer Worlds was a commercial success and back in December Obsidian announced that story DLC would be forthcoming in 2020. It's been four months since then and there's been zero news about that, though they continue to reassure us that something is on the way. Now the game is getting the documentary treatment from Noclip, the crowdfunded video game documentary production company founded by Irish gaming journalist Danny O'Dwyer. Perhaps that's a sign that it's coming out of hibernation. The first episode out of a planned five is entitled From Concept to Creation. It begins as you'd expect with an introduction to the careers of Tim Cain and Leonard Boyarsky. The episode has some details about the game's conception but it's really mostly about the creation, offering a broad look at various issues Obsidian faced during development. There's also plenty of concept art and gameplay footage from early builds.

We know that The Outer Worlds had to be cut multiple times over the course of its development, and there's a great deal of focus on this in the second half of the episode. It turns out that Terra 2 was originally intended to be an open world like Monarch, and Brian Heins created an entire planet that had to be cut. The asteroid Scylla actually became a dumping ground for sidequests that were in areas that got cut. Leonard is particularly regretful about the last round of cuts, which he says hurt the depth and reactivity of the game's companions. Tim, on the other hand, seems perfectly happy with how the final release turned out.

felipepepe

Codex's Heretic
Patron
No clip is a great idea, but the execution is terrible... it's not a documentary, it's an ad. Just look at how the Bethesda one is 100% about Todd Howard, as told by Todd Howard, without even mentioning games before he joined the company, Julian Le Fay, Ken Rolston, etc.

And that's a story we know a lot about, so we can compare the video with the real stuff. On cases like this, where the story was never told elsewhere, there's no way of saying how much of the real story we are getting.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
I don't know how much of an ad this video is with Leonard Boyarsky blackpilling about cut content for half of it, but yeah there's probably stuff that's missing. For example you'd think that Feargus should have been in here somewhere since he's the one who wanted a New Vegas-like RPG.

Junmarko

† Cristo è Re †
Patron
No clip is a great idea, but the execution is terrible... it's not a documentary, it's an ad. Just look at how the Bethesda one is 100% about Todd Howard, as told by Todd Howard, without even mentioning games before he joined the company, Julian Le Fay, Ken Rolston, etc.
CRPG Book is a great idea, but the execution is terrible...it's not a book, it's a product catalogue.

:troll:

Jokes aside, the Bethesda one was ridiculous. Self-damning after '76 dropped and they spent time hyping the shit out of that bomb lol. Not all bad with Noclip though, the "documentary" on Half-Life was really good.

Deleted Member 22431

They are doing their best to imitate Bethesda even in their "documentaries"!

Mikeal

Arcane
So... has he not come across any of the many criticisms of this game online? Or does he just block it all out?

hidethepainharold.jpg

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
FWIW, I'm not sure when these interview segments were recorded. I think some of these documentaries are created by journos who visit the studio in the final weeks of the game's development before it releases.

jac8awol

Arbiter
Evil corporate entities promoting a soulless trash game about evil corporate entities promoting soulless trash? Life imitates art but there's nothing tongue in cheek about the marketing here.

Deleted Member 22431

Evil corporate entities promoting a soulless trash game about evil corporate entities promoting soulless trash? Life imitates art but there's nothing tongue in cheek about the marketing here.
Life imitates trash and they are perfectly happy with it.

Avarize

Magister
Tim, on the other hand, seems perfectly happy with how the final release turned out.
So... has he not come across any of the many criticisms of this game online? Or does he just block it all out?
Never seen it criticised anywhere but here. I just don't understand. The game is aggressively mediocre with SJW undertones and no one has a bad word to say about it.

Codex Year of the Donut
Tim, on the other hand, seems perfectly happy with how the final release turned out.
Never seen it criticised anywhere but here. I just don't understand. The game is aggressively mediocre with SJW undertones and no one has a bad word to say about it.
I remember seeing this linked in the outer worlds thread

Sentinel

Arcane
Every game gets praise immediately after release. The bigger the release, the more praise it gets. Especially if it's a full priced game. It's a coping mechanism people use to convince themselves they don't regret the money they spent. You only start seeing actual reviews years after the release. Time heals all wounds.

Diggfinger

Arcane
Fairly interesting. Nce to see the early builds and hear Leon lamenting the cuts.

For DLC/sequel or whatever I really do hope they deliver on a richer character customization system, this was too shallow to really make me want to go back.

IHaveHugeNick

Arcane
I think the expectation at launch was that things will improve substantially with patching, so people were giving it at pass at first. But now it appears Private Division ahve pulled the plug, so like that reddit post says, honeymoon is over.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom