Official Codex Discord Server

1. Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.
    Dismiss Notice

Development Info The Outer Worlds Documentary by Noclip - Part One: From Concept to Creation

Discussion in 'RPG Codex News & Content Comments' started by Infinitron, Apr 10, 2020.

1. Infinitron I post news Patron

Infinitron
    Grab the Codex by the pussy Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Kingmaker
    Tags: Brian Heins; Daniel Alpert; Leonard Boyarsky; Obsidian Entertainment; The Outer Worlds; Tim Cain

We're told that The Outer Worlds was a commercial success and back in December Obsidian announced that story DLC would be forthcoming in 2020. It's been four months since then and there's been zero news about that, though they continue to reassure us that something is on the way. Now the game is getting the documentary treatment from Noclip, the crowdfunded video game documentary production company founded by Irish gaming journalist Danny O'Dwyer. Perhaps that's a sign that it's coming out of hibernation. The first episode out of a planned five is entitled From Concept to Creation. It begins as you'd expect with an introduction to the careers of Tim Cain and Leonard Boyarsky. The episode has some details about the game's conception but it's really mostly about the creation, offering a broad look at various issues Obsidian faced during development. There's also plenty of concept art and gameplay footage from early builds.

We know that The Outer Worlds had to be cut multiple times over the course of its development, and there's a great deal of focus on this in the second half of the episode. It turns out that Terra 2 was originally intended to be an open world like Monarch, and Brian Heins created an entire planet that had to be cut. The asteroid Scylla actually became a dumping ground for sidequests that were in areas that got cut. Leonard is particularly regretful about the last round of cuts, which he says hurt the depth and reactivity of the game's companions. Tim, on the other hand, seems perfectly happy with how the final release turned out.

• Shit x 11
    • hopw roewur ne x 2
    • decline x 2
    • I found this text to be too long and as such I didn't read it x 2
    • Brofist x 1
    • meh x 1
    • No x 1
    • honk honk! x 1
    ^ Top  
  2. Nano Prestigious Gentleman Arcane Patron

Nano
    So... has he not come across any of the many criticisms of this game online? Or does he just block it all out?

• it is a mystery it is a mystery x 3
    • :M :M x 2
    • honk honk! honk honk! x 1
    • Disgusting! Disgusting! x 1
    ^ Top  
  3. felipepepe Prestigious Gentleman Codex's Heretic Patron

felipepepe
    No clip is a great idea, but the execution is terrible... it's not a documentary, it's an ad. Just look at how the Bethesda one is 100% about Todd Howard, as told by Todd Howard, without even mentioning games before he joined the company, Julian Le Fay, Ken Rolston, etc.

And that's a story we know a lot about, so we can compare the video with the real stuff. On cases like this, where the story was never told elsewhere, there's no way of saying how much of the real story we are getting.

• Agree Agree x 9
    • Brofist Brofist x 8
    • Informative Informative x 2
    • "It was Aliens" "It was Aliens" x 1
    ^ Top  
  4. Infinitron I post news Patron

Infinitron
    Grab the Codex by the pussy Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Kingmaker
    I don't know how much of an ad this video is with Leonard Boyarsky blackpilling about cut content for half of it, but yeah there's probably stuff that's missing. For example you'd think that Feargus should have been in here somewhere since he's the one who wanted a New Vegas-like RPG.

• Slam dunk! Slam dunk! x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    ^ Top  
  5. rusty_shackleford Arcane

rusty_shackleford
    Really?
    Going to go watch that, sounds good.

• Acknowledge this user's Agenda x 3
    • honk honk! x 3
    • Funny x 1
    • not sure if serious x 1
    • Disgusting! x 1
    ^ Top  
  6. Roguey Arcane Sawyerite

Roguey
    Tim's become a phone-it-in-hack. A Gaider.

• Agree Agree x 5
    • Disgusting! Disgusting! x 2
    • Interesting Interesting x 1
    • [citation needed] [citation needed] x 1
    ^ Top  
  7. Junmarko Goomba Patron

Junmarko
    CRPG Book is a great idea, but the execution is terrible...it's not a book, it's a product catalogue.

:troll:

Jokes aside, the Bethesda one was ridiculous. Self-damning after '76 dropped and they spent time hyping the shit out of that bomb lol. Not all bad with Noclip though, the "documentary" on Half-Life was really good.

• Funny Funny x 5
    ^ Top  
  8. Fenix Cipher Vatnik

Fenix
    Can you clarify? I don't get it.

^ Top  
  9. They are doing their best to imitate Bethesda even in their "documentaries"!

^ Top  
  10. 26:16

The part where Tim Cain says he is happy with the game. Depressing as fuck.

• Agree Agree x 6
    • Brofist Brofist x 1
    • decline decline x 1
    ^ Top  
  11. Roguey Arcane Sawyerite

Roguey
    He was "perfectly happy" with the mass market blandness that is The Outer Worlds. I was just trolling with the Gaider comparison.

• Brofist Brofist x 2
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • popamole popamole x 1
    ^ Top  
  12. Mikeal Cipher

Mikeal
    [​IMG]

• Funny Funny x 7
    • Old Old x 1
    ^ Top  
  13. Infinitron I post news Patron

Infinitron
    FWIW, I'm not sure when these interview segments were recorded. I think some of these documentaries are created by journos who visit the studio in the final weeks of the game's development before it releases.

• Informative Informative x 1
    • Shit Shit x 1
    ^ Top  
  14. normie Prophet Patron

normie
    [​IMG]

• Funny x 7
    • Brofist x 2
    • Participation Award x 2
    • Friendly x 1
    • Racist x 1
    ^ Top  
  15. jac8awol Learned

jac8awol
    Evil corporate entities promoting a soulless trash game about evil corporate entities promoting soulless trash? Life imitates art but there's nothing tongue in cheek about the marketing here.

• Brofist Brofist x 9
    • :M :M x 1
    ^ Top  
  16. Life imitates trash and they are perfectly happy with it.

• Brofist Brofist x 2
    ^ Top  
  17. Avarize Literate

Avarize
    Never seen it criticised anywhere but here. I just don't understand. The game is aggressively mediocre with SJW undertones and no one has a bad word to say about it.

• Brofist x 1
    • FAKE NEWS x 1
    • Yes x 1
    • Fabulously Optimistic x 1
    • "It was Aliens" x 1
    • it is a mystery x 1
    • Old x 1
    ^ Top  
  18. rusty_shackleford Arcane

rusty_shackleford
    I remember seeing this linked in the outer worlds thread
    Show Spoiler

• Funny Funny x 2
    ^ Top  
  19. Nano Prestigious Gentleman Arcane Patron

Nano
    A lot of people on Reddit and ResetEra have tore into this game. Here's one example from TOW's subreddit with 7K upvotes:

• Informative Informative x 3
    ^ Top  
  20. Avarize Literate

Avarize
    This sentiment must have developed later. I recall seeing only praise after the first week.

• Funny Funny x 1
    ^ Top  
  21. TheSentinel Arcane

TheSentinel
    Every game gets praise immediately after release. The bigger the release, the more praise it gets. Especially if it's a full priced game. It's a coping mechanism people use to convince themselves they don't regret the money they spent. You only start seeing actual reviews years after the release. Time heals all wounds.

• Agree Agree x 5
    • Brofist Brofist x 1
    • Balanced Balanced x 1
    ^ Top  
  22. Diggfinger Cipher

Diggfinger
    Fairly interesting. Nce to see the early builds and hear Leon lamenting the cuts.

For DLC/sequel or whatever I really do hope they deliver on a richer character customization system, this was too shallow to really make me want to go back.

^ Top  
  23. wtrboy Novice

wtrboy
    I remember how much humor the game was supposed to have in it...well, none of it was funny.

• decline decline x 1
    • :( :( x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
    • "It was Aliens" "It was Aliens" x 1
    ^ Top  
  24. IHaveHugeNick Arcane

IHaveHugeNick
    I think the expectation at launch was that things will improve substantially with patching, so people were giving it at pass at first. But now it appears Private Division ahve pulled the plug, so like that reddit post says, honeymoon is over.

• [citation needed] [citation needed] x 2
    • incline incline x 1
    • decline decline x 1
    • :M :M x 1
    ^ Top  

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.