Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Development Info The Outer Worlds Documentary by Noclip - Part Two: Designing Characters & Companions

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Tags: Brian Heins; Carrie Patel; Leonard Boyarsky; Megan Starks; Nitai Poddar; Obsidian Entertainment; The Outer Worlds; Tim Cain

For the next episode of their documentary about The Outer Worlds, Noclip brought in the writing team to talk about the creation of some of the game's characters and companions. Megan Starks talks about ADA and SAM (who actually replaced a sixth human companion who was cut), Carrie Patel talks about Sanjar Nandi and his assistant Celia, and Brian Heins & Nitai Poddar share their love for Parvati. Carrie also talks about Ellie and her sidequest while Nitai gives a shoutout to Nyoka. Megan gives us a brief look at Obsidian's famous dialogue editor and Tim Cain & Leonard Boyarsky talk about Phineas, who is just as much of a blatant ripoff of Rick and Morty as everybody thought. The final character described in the episode is Vicar Max, who sounds like he's Leonard's favorite companion.

There are no big reveals in this episode, but it's a nice compilation of some of the game's fun moments and it offers a sense of what Obsidian's writing team values.

Scarlet Lilith

Learned
Patel seems like a terrible writer and it was painful to hear her talk about cutting an interesting plot point as if it was a good thing, no wonder current Obsidian titles are so anemic. Megan is the only half-decent writer they have currently, they should put her in charge of writing their next RPG.

Blaine

Cis-Het Oppressor
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy
I'm not even going to watch this dumb bullshit.

The correct time to tell me how great you are at designing compelling characters is after the game is finished and I've determined that you have, in fact, designed compelling characters.

Honestly, the entire concept of showcasing characters before the game releases annoys the shit out of me. I don't really want to "meet" any of them until I've installed the actual game. I want it to be a surprise. I've always felt this way; novels that include a "Dramatis Personae" section have always pissed me off, too.

You know what? If you're great at designing compelling characters, you shouldn't need to try to hype them before release.

vortex

Fabulous Optimist
Patel seems like a terrible writer and it was painful to hear her talk about cutting an interesting plot point as if it was a good thing, no wonder current Obsidian titles are so anemic. Megan is the only half-decent writer they have currently, they should put her in charge of writing their next RPG.
Hi Megan! :D

Fenix

Arcane
Vatnik
Honestly, the entire concept of showcasing characters before the game releases annoys the shit out of me. I don't really want to "meet" any of them until I've installed the actual game. I want it to be a surprise.

They doing it inpreparation, beforehand because it affects perception of the character by player, so it's kind of marketing brainwashing trick, to make their work looks better than it is.

People emphasize on OW pushing agenda, while the problem lies in characters being so shallow and lackluster they were to weak to even present it, no mater what would it have been.

Agenda pushed down your threat is maybe even bogger problem on it's own.

Riddler

Arcane
Patron
Bubbles In Memoria

They should just fire the other writers.

1eyedking

Erudite
The writing in this game sucks ass.

It's as if they gave the most recalcitrant knee-jerk anarcho-dyke feminists a typewriter and let them fill a world with derivative dyke'd-up Mary Sue types, beta strawman males, and infect most of the text with needless feminist wording such as "gelding a computer's self-destruct mechanism" instead of just 'disabling'.

It's so amateur and cringe it hurts.

Avoid this game like the plague.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom