Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Game News The Outer Worlds gets Spacer's Choice Edition remaster

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Tags: Obsidian Entertainment; The Outer Worlds; The Outer Worlds: Murder on Eridanos; The Outer Worlds: Peril on Gorgon

We all thought we'd heard the last of The Outer Worlds after the release of its final DLC in 2021. Well, Obsidian's polished but mediocre corporate space colony RPG is back for one last hurrah. Apparently Private Division needed to fill a hole in their release schedule this year, so they put together The Outer Worlds: Spacer's Choice Edition, a next-gen remaster featuring a variety of visual improvements and a greatly increased level cap. Naturally it includes both of the game's expansion DLCs. Here's the trailer:

The Outer Worlds: Spacer's Choice Edition is available on Steam and GOG for $60, with a 20% launch discount for the next two weeks. Unfortunately it's not a free upgrade for existing owners, but if you also own both DLCs you can get the upgrade for $10. Although judging by the reviews on Steam, perhaps you won't want to. It seems these next-gen remastered editions rarely turn out well.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
Apparently Private Division needed to fill a hole in their release schedule this year, so they had them put together The Outer Worlds: Spacer's Choice Edition

They had Virtuos do it, not Obsidian. Obsidian's community managers having to run PR all over the internet telling people to file all their technical issues and complaints to Private Division, the people responsible for releasing and fixing this.

Lord of Riva

Arcane
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Pathfinder: Wrath
I played it on gamepass for a bit. It had some okayish shooting mechanics and that was basically everything positive to say about it. Not sure what warrants this remaster or what the point of it is.

Delterius

Arcane
I played it on gamepass for a bit. It had some okayish shooting mechanics and that was basically everything positive to say about it. Not sure what warrants this remaster or what the point of it is.
5 million copies sold also obsidian and bethesda are now part of an oligopoly and are conspiring to disappoint fans in quick succession to maximize sales (FO76 > TOW > Starfield)

koyota

Cipher
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming!
Do developer sign away all rights on remasters for these type of deals?

You would think Obsidian would veto this release considering bad PR for Outer Worlds 2

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
Do developer sign away all rights on remasters for these type of deals?

You would think Obsidian would veto this release considering bad PR for Outer Worlds 2
Obsidian retained ownership of The Outer Worlds IP, but that went to Microsoft with the sale. Neither of them have any say over what Private Division can do with the game they funded. If any IP owner could cancel any game for being too low quality there'd be a bunch of D&D games that never would have seen the light of day. :P

Stokowski

Arcane
I'm imagining Feargus standing over a copy of The Outer Worlds and crying, "Look how they massacred my boy!"

frajaq

Erudite
Is this worth torrenting if I've already done a torrent of the game plus DLC?
no because the performance is even worse than the base game
Obsidian did the epic thing where they send it to some third-rate dev to remaster it for them (like Blizzard did Warcraft 3 Reforged to some scuffed devs in Southeast Asia)

BrotherFrank

Nouveau Riche
Patron
The obsidian game that has the least need of a remaster gets a remaster, there is no justice in this world.

Or maybe there is as they seem to have screwed it up.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom