Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

The Outer Worlds: Spacer's Choice Edition - Obsidian's first-person sci-fi RPG set in a corporate space colony

Yosharian

Arcane
Yeah the writing is completely amateur at best.

Atlantico

unida e indivisible
Patron
Undisputed Queen of Faggotry Vatnik In My Safe Space
Make the Codex Great Again!
The tone of this game is all over the place. The only consistent tone I can find is "inoffensive* and bland". The worldbuilding is atrociously facile and the details are relentlessly boring. Conversations between NPCs, side-quest, computer notes and emails are a chore to read. Boring and badly written.

There is no edge to the game, it is dull, dull, dull. Every quest is a braindead walk from one questpoint to the next. I just finished the Murder on Eriadnos DLC, which was the highlight of the game so far. I guffawed once or twice, for the first time since I started playing.

As for companions, SAM is definitely the highlight and the best one by far. For one thing he doesn't have gen-z problems and he doesn't need to be micromanaged, which means I don't have to use the *atrocious* inventory UI as much.

Oh the inventory. Oh man. I don't even

So I usually just run with SAM & Max and ho boy. Max's companion quest was somehow more insulting than the autistic lesbo. Her quest was just plain stupid and I just dropped it and told her to keep her mouth shut and nose to the grindstone. Max seemed to have a very personal quest, one he had been on his entire adult life. To find answers to his faith. I just brought him to some random hippie lady in the middle of nowhere on some asteroid, dropped some acid with him and he became a fucking hippie when he realized "it's all bullshit bruh, you just have to let go bruh".

Fuck these people. Fuck these writers and fuck people who defend this subversive trash.

*according to the woke 2010s ofc, I find this game extremely offensive

Child of Malkav

Erudite
I played this back when i launched and I only used Max and Felix. Couldn't stand the robot. Just too....happy about everything. Fuck that. I thought he was gonna be my next ED-E from NV.

9ted6

Educated
They wanted it to have the writing and style of Borderlands with the gameplay of New Vegas so you're left with a game that's ugly, has shit writing and isn't fun to play.

Haplo

Prophet
Patron
Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
Was FNV really that fun, though?

I mean breaking the game shooting lazers from beyond enemy range or pulverizing them within one VATS session might have some charm, but long term...

Yosharian

Arcane

I mean breaking the game shooting lazers from beyond enemy range or pulverizing them within one VATS session might have some charm, but long term...
Yes I've had tons of fun with various different builds in FNV, sure most of them end up OP as fuck by endgame but that doesn't mean that it isn't an absolute riot getting there.

TOW is a fucking children's toy by comparison

That said I do play exclusively with some form of overhaul in recent years, usually JSawyer or a variant of it.

Recently I've got my eye on Qolore's The Sands but it's a little rough around the edges, hopefully it gets updated again soon

But anyway VNV is the standard as I'm sure you're aware

AwesomeButton

Proud owner of BG 3: Day of Swen's Tentacle
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath

In my experience, the answer is "it allowed me to play it in many ways, some of which were fun". A huge bunch of QoL, weapon and balance mods were involved though.

Yosharian

Arcane

But anyway VNV is the standard as I'm sure you're aware
Well, I'll say a controversial thing: shooty gameplay-wise, Fallout 4 was more "fun" IMO.
Ehh there are less interesting builds though

Atlantico

unida e indivisible
Patron
Undisputed Queen of Faggotry Vatnik In My Safe Space
Make the Codex Great Again!
Well, fuck it ... I'm going to finish this turkey and write my final review on it. Before I memory-hole it and never think of it again.

9ted6

Educated
No. The engine doesn't work for satisfying shooting and melee is too easy because of how stupid the AI is.

Max out Guns, get high Sneak, get All American then crit every single enemy you'll ever come across. Or get Toughness, Stonewall and any melee weapon and win the game.

FO4's story and lore may have been retarded even by Fallout standards but it had way better gunplay. The AI's still shit but at least the guns feel tolerable to use and gun enemies can bash you if you try to melee spam them.

The Outer Worlds is the little game who couldn't.

"We don't know how to make minigames fun, so there is no interactive lockpicking or hacking."
"We don't know how to write player romance, so there is no player romance."
"We don't know how to do stealth, so you just turn invisible."
"We don't know how to have original thought, so we'll just say Capitalism bad and won't go anywhere with it."

PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Serpent in the Staglands Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
The Outer Worlds is the little game who couldn't.

"We don't know how to make minigames fun, so there is no interactive lockpicking or hacking."
"We don't know how to write player romance, so there is no player romance."
"We don't know how to do stealth, so you just turn invisible."
"We don't know how to have original thought, so we'll just say Capitalism bad and won't go anywhere with it."

I'd say the argument is less capitalism is bad (quite a few NPCs find their role in the system fulfilling and even non-brainwashed ones recognize with different levels of approval that the corporations are needed in order to organize and develop things) and more that corporations don't have your interests at heart.

The game is an exploration of what it would be like if a group of humans were cutoff from the rest of civilization and matured in an atmosphere where capitalism is revered religiously. It's less "bad" and more weird.

Honestly, the heavy involvement of corporations feels like a pretext for the artist to design a 1950s Mad Men corporate ad like aesthetic because the juxtaposition between that and the weird sci-fi/post apocalyptic stuff is what people liked about Fallout.

when i browse this forum i always mix this with "outer wilds". what is still there to talk about this absolute turd?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom