Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

The Outer Worlds: Spacer's Choice Edition - Obsidian's first-person sci-fi RPG set in a corporate space colony

Codex Year of the Donut
Vatnik Wumao
this game is only successful due to bethesda hate bandwagon and it rolled 20 on luck check on the time it was announced and released.

That's part of it, but also desperation because a "Bethesda style" game hasn't really come out since Fallout 4.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kingdom_Come:_Deliverance
I'd hardly call KCD a "Bethesda style" game, mechanical similarities notwithstanding.

Jezal_k23

I still think Sawyer should be involved in TOW. Let him do his balancing thing. You know what would happen? He'd take one look at difficulty and conclude that he needs to buff most enemies, especially now that everyone complained about difficulty for weeks.

Codex Year of the Donut
this game is only successful due to bethesda hate bandwagon and it rolled 20 on luck check on the time it was announced and released.

That's part of it, but also desperation because a "Bethesda style" game hasn't really come out since Fallout 4.
I'd hardly call KCD a "Bethesda style" game, mechanical similarities notwithstanding.
It's more of a "Bethesda style" game than Outer Worlds.

LizardWizard

Cipher
I still think Sawyer should be involved in TOW. Let him do his balancing thing. You know what would happen? He'd take one look at difficulty and conclude that he needs to buff most enemies, especially now that everyone complained about difficulty for weeks.

Well at Deadfire's release Josh also forgot to patch in the difficult part of POTD.

Also fuck Joshua for dumbing the party size to five. Six was absolutely fine

Quillon

Arcane

Not only KCD's bethesda style, it also has bethesda substance with NPC schedules and loot naturally placed in the world than copy-paste loot containers all over. TOW only looks like a bethesda style game.

Codex Year of the Donut

Not only KCD's bethesda style, it also has bethesda substance with NPC schedules and loot naturally placed in the world than copy-paste loot containers all over. TOW only looks like a bethesda style game.
It's also — and this one is kind of important for being a "bethesda style" game — open world.

J_C

One Bit Studio
Patron
Developer
Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
Reviewers probably gave it a high score because they’re easily amused and because when you compare it to its contemporary competitors (Borderlands 3 and Fallout 76) TOW looks much better in comparison.
You are hoping that this is true so much, because the other option is that the game is actually good and people like it because it is fun. And you couldn't handle the fact that others enjoy an Obsidian game on the game's own merit.

LizardWizard

Cipher

'Bethesda substance NPC' :lol:

Good one

But to be fair, TOW has quite of few hand placed uniques, which made checking every nook and cranny rewarding.

Daidre

Arcane
Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture
You are hoping that this is true so much, because the other option is that the game is actually good and people like it because it is fun. And you couldn't handle the fact that others enjoy an Obsidian game on the game's own merit.
This argument about Codex hating TOW on principle made me curious and sent me on little research. I skimmed over last 3 (!) pages on Resetera and cherry-picked impressions.
WX8JTFH.png

I had not put it together to make it seem 100% negative, actual mix is closer to 50/50 or 40/60. But figuring out how people with drastically different standards and tastes reacted to TOW scratched my analytical itch for today. And most of them had completed the game before criticizing.

Last edited:

J_C

One Bit Studio
Patron
Developer
Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
This argument about Codex hating TOW on principle made me curious and sent me on little research. I skimmed over last 3 (!) pages on Resetera and cherry-picked impressions.
WX8JTFH.png

I had not put it together to make it seem 100% negative, actual mix is closer to 50/50 or 40/60. But figuring out how people with drastically different standards and tastes reacted to TOW scratched my analytical itch for today. And most of them had completed the game before criticizing.

Checking Resetera, come on now...

Anyway, I'm not saying that the Codex hates it on principle, it's just there are always people who can't accept that people like the game because they enjoy it, and come up with BS reasons, like I quoted above.

HoboForEternity

sunset tequila
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
WX8JTFH.png

Anyway, I'm not saying that the Codex hates it on principle, it's just there are always people who can't accept that people like the game because they enjoy it, and come up with BS reasons, like I quoted above.
"i dont like thing, therefore nobody can like thing"

Riddler

Arcane
Patron
Bubbles In Memoria
WX8JTFH.png

"i dont like thing, therefore nobody can like thing"

You could just as easily frame this as opposition to the reverse: "I like thing, therefore it must be good".

I don't think people object to Fluent liking the game, they just think he is stupid/lacks taste for doing so.

Daidre

Arcane
Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture
I don't think people object to Fluent liking the game, they just think he is stupid/lacks taste for doing so.

Admitting your genuine sympathy for some bad game is one thing, but trying to bring sunshine and love argue that this flawed game is best thing evar is different level.

Confession: I love Might & Magic 9. I know it is ugly, lost half of features from M&M 6-8 and killed NWC, but it is my first M&M, I replayed it at least dozen of times and would rush in to defend its dungeon design any day.

Last edited:

Prime Junta

Blissing out over a mediocre game with some redeeming qualities is totally allowed. Most people do it from time to time (unless they're complete edgelords who hate everything on general principles while masturbating furiously to it.)

It's that he's such a manwhore about games. He can't tell the difference in facial animations between TOW and Bloodlines, or in writing between T:ToN and PS:T. That rather seriously undermines your credibility when saying anything related to quality.

santino27

Arcane
Patron
My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit.
Many brave Daidres died for this information. Let their sacrifice not be in vain.

HoboForEternity

sunset tequila
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Blissing out over a mediocre game with some redeeming qualities is totally allowed. Most people do it from time to time (unless they're complete edgelords who hate everything on general principles while masturbating furiously to it.)

It's that he's such a manwhore about games. He can't tell the difference in facial animations between TOW and Bloodlines, or in writing between T:ToN and PS:T. That rather seriously undermines your credibility when saying anything related to quality.
he's just postive man. i am sure he's so positive he's missing alot of electrons in his body.

Quillon

Arcane
He can't tell the difference in facial animations between TOW and Bloodlines

There is some nostalgia goggles going on here; just watched some vids to refresh my memory and compare: TOW have more & more detailed facial anims but subtler/realistic where as Bloodlines have strong but few tricks(mostly brows and mouths changing states) that are very expressive/borderline cartoonish. Bloodlines anims were great, still good but TOW's anims are also very good. There is enough parts of TOW to shit on, shitting on facial anims kinda stretching it imo.

Prime Junta

The issue isn't technical quality, it's expressiveness. TOWs anims are technically fine, they just don't convey much of anything.

mediocre? there's nothing to be ashamed of in loving crap. this is the codex, we all love some old, obscure, horrible turd somehow, and it's perfectly fine as long as it's aknowledged as a subjective taste. we love deeply flawed people, no issue in loving deeply flawed software.
the real problem arises when "this is the best thing ever since sliced bread", *then*, in that moment, you turn from a normal person into a total retard.

Last edited:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom