Official RPG Codex Discord Server

1. Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.
    Dismiss Notice

The Outer Worlds - Obsidian's first-person sci-fi RPG - now with Murder on Eridanos DLC

Discussion in 'Obsidian Entertainment' started by Infinitron, Oct 25, 2019.

1. Yeah, great conclusion you've reached there. I can't possibly have time to post, I should be playing 24/7. Did your mother drop you on your head as a child? I just woke up and am taking some time before getting into my daily TOW binge. Trust me, I'm playing a lot.

• Cheers!! Cheers!! x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • butthurt butthurt x 1
    • retadred retadred x 1
    ^ Top  
  2. MadMaxHellfire Arcane

MadMaxHellfire
    that'd be even worse than being the retard he is, negatively contributing to any dialogue.

^ Top  
  3. Prime Junta Self-Ejected Patron Vatnik

Self-Ejected
    Anyway, this thread is as good a place as any, so here goes in the hope it'll save a life some day.

If you're looking for a guru, check for a few red flags.

(1) No grounding and oversight.

If a guru is entirely on his own, with no grounding and oversight from the rest of the tradition to get him back on track (or shut him down) in case he goes off the rails, that's very bad news. Being a guru is psychologically incredibly taxing, you have to deal with a tremendous amount of projection, transference, adoration, and what have you from your disciples, and if you can't ground it anywhere and don't get any sanity checks, you're as good as guaranteed to go off the rails.

This is almost universally a red flag. Almost.

(2) Visibly super successful.

Has thousands of on-location disciples? Runs a big ashram? Is a celebrity? Has millions of devoted YouTube followers? Almost certainly bad news. Drives a Rolls Royce? Run for the hills bruh. If it's combined with red flag (1) above, it's 99.9% sure to be trouble.

(3) Evidence of actual wrongdoing.

There are credible, sourced, and documented stories of wrongdoing: diddling the help or the disciples, shady business with money, reports of culty behaviour (lovebombing, shunning, severe disciplinary shit, mindfucking stuff with relationships etc), then that's not just red, that's fucking crimson.

If you've got all three, you don't need to read a single line or watch a single YouTube video to know that the guru is bad news. Whatever insight he may have, or may have started with, has long since been corrupted into something really nasty. Run like hell.

Mooji Baba hits the trifecta.

The converse is true too:

(1) Grounding and oversight

If the guru is teaching in an established and generally respected tradition, that already rules out the absolutely worst abuses. The institution itself is usually corrupt to some extent but it's nowhere near as bad as a self-contained cult. Emphasis on generally respected: Scientologists or Jehovah's Witnesses don't count.

(2) Small scale and poor

The guru has a dozen to maybe a hundred (tops) disciples? Doesn't go whoring for likes on social media? Keeps shit low key? Not materially successful? Good signs.

(3) Clean record

There's usually going to be someone who's butthurt, so you will find somebody saying something bad about just about any of them. But if you look into them and do not find anything related to sex or money then it's at least possible that it's legit.

None of this guarantees that the guru is any good of course, 90% of everything is shit, especially spiritual teachers. But if they have none of the three red flags it's much less likely that you're headed for a real train wreck, more likely you just won't get anything out of the relationship.

Be careful out there kids. This shit is powerful medicine.

Edit: AND ONE MORE THING

Don't forget that gurus are people too. They may have more or less deep insights into shit and may be able to help you along your way to them, but the perfectly enlightened teacher is a myth, or at least vanishingly rare. Assuming that the guru's insights make him immune to vice and fallibility is a huge, huge, huge mistake and one that can cost you dearly.

• I found this text to be too long and as such I didn't read it x 8
    • Friendly x 2
    • When words are not enough x 2
    • WTF am I reading x 2
    • Funny x 1
    • not sure if serious x 1
    • Edgy x 1
    • Yes x 1
    • Informative x 1
    • retadred x 1
    • (autism) x 1
    ^ Top  
  4. Adon Arcane

Adon
    Never said that, just seems like playing a game you enjoy so much is time better spent than replying to people who don't share your views on the game.

^ Top  
  5. Sorry if I was harsh. I'm just in the mood for some Codex before I start playing. I have to get ready, I'm recording my gameplay as a video Let's Play, so I have to have my coffee and eat something before jumping in.

• Acknowledge this user's Agenda Acknowledge this user's Agenda x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
    ^ Top  
  6. Van-d-all Liturgist

Van-d-all
    I already had the book on me when I met him, and I didn't really know which generic building did I loot it from. So, no, not even that.

• Despair Despair x 1
    ^ Top  
  7. LudensCogitet Learned

LudensCogitet
    What killed that for me was when I was supposed to find the secret cave hideout where the book was being hidden and a way point was put directly on my HUD and on the compass showing me exactly where to walk. The note about the book's location even included descriptions of landmarks, but I didn't need to use any of that information or explore at all. Just follow the quest marker. That seemed very un-Cain and Boyarsky to me.

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  8. Bonerbill Savant

Bonerbill
    Better start ignoring me too faggot, because now I'll be ragging on you on every post on how much of a pussy you are with bad taste in games.

• Friendly Friendly x 1
    ^ Top  
  9. Hóngwèibīng Arcane Vatnik Wumao

Hóngwèibīng
    The ignore function is gay.

• Agree x 10
    • Brofist x 1
    • Disagree x 1
    • Interesting x 1
    • Fabulously Optimistic x 1
    ^ Top  
  10. Kyl Von Kull The Night Tripper Patron

Kyl Von Kull
    you can disable quest markers.

• Informative Informative x 2
    ^ Top  
  11. Kaivokz Arcane

Kaivokz
    You didn’t need to, but you could have instead of following the quest compass. Take some personal responsibility for your own fun. It’s like saying BG2 has bad encounter design because 95% of the time a sorcerer or wizard can time stop - alacrity - cast literally every spell they have except wishes - wish for more spells - repeat.

I mean think for a second, what you said boils down to: “what killed it for me was choosing to do something a boring way when I could have chosen to do it a fun way.” This isn’t even “play with only a wooden sword so it’s challenging.” It’s just a little baffling to me that someone would kill their own fun because they have the option to do so. Do you hit yourself in the head with the bat when you play baseball? “What killed that game for me was when I knocked myself unconscious instead of having to gauge the trajectory of the ball and time my swing...”

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    ^ Top  
  12. HoboForEternity sunset tequila Patron

HoboForEternity
    I kinda find this line of conversation funny

• Despair Despair x 1
    ^ Top  
  13. Kyl Von Kull The Night Tripper Patron

Kyl Von Kull
    like it or not, guys, Fluent has his finger on the pulse of America. the mass market with a human face.

• Funny Funny x 10
    • cool story bro cool story bro x 1
    • Despair Despair x 1
    • :M :M x 1
    ^ Top  
  14. LudensCogitet Learned

LudensCogitet
    While I think your point about choosing to do something more interesting rather than following the path of least resistance is an interesting one, I don't think this your characterization is particularly fair in this case.

I did turn off HUD quest markers right after this incident, but unfortunately it doesn't seem possible to turn them off in the compass. The attempt to do what you suggest, then, would literally be to constantly ignore a piece of visual information being given to me in a way that is meant to draw my attention, and in order to do what? I would basically have to pretend I didn't know where to go. There's the green marker, telling me exactly where I should be on my compass, and I say "No, instead I will climb a hill and look down into the valley and notice the river and act like I didn't see the compass was pointing me there the whole time". That's not exactly the same as refraining from using OP spells or hitting myself with a bat. Lol.

Also, it has a direct impact on the verisimilitude of the world. I am supposed to be investigating the location of a contraband book of philosophical thought that's location is a mystery, but as soon as I read a clue I can make a bee line direction for it. What reason is there for such a thing except to short circuit actually having to engage with both the world and the systems of the game?

^ Top  
  15. DalekFlay Arcane Patron

DalekFlay
    I haven't played it, I thought it was more realistic and not really of that style. If it is though, fair enough. Either way it got no traction on console and ignored by the media for perceived political grievances, so I think the desperation still applies.

• Fabulously Optimistic Fabulously Optimistic x 1
    • WTF am I reading WTF am I reading x 1
    • retadred retadred x 1
    ^ Top  
  16. rusty_shackleford Arcane

rusty_shackleford
    KCD sold extremely well, about half of their sales were on console.
    You're right about the second part though, a lot of really butthurt articles were written.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Brofist Brofist x 1
    • Interesting Interesting x 1
    • Shit Shit x 1
    ^ Top  
  17. razvedchiki Erudite Sad Loser

razvedchiki
    is there a mod to increase difficulty?

• Bro, do you even lift? Bro, do you even lift? x 1
    • it is a mystery it is a mystery x 1
    ^ Top  
  18. Supernova difficulty. :)

• Yes Yes x 2
    • No No x 2
    ^ Top  
  19. razvedchiki Erudite Sad Loser

razvedchiki
    [​IMG]

• Funny Funny x 9
    • Yes Yes x 4
    • retadred retadred x 1
    ^ Top  
  20. It's been said over and over again the game doesn't have mod support. And why seek a mod when the option exists in the game already? Who's possibly retarded now, buddy? :P

• retadred x 4
    • it is a mystery x 2
    • Funny x 1
    • Agree x 1
    • Balanced x 1
    ^ Top  
  21. JDR13 Magister

JDR13
    • Funny Funny x 3
    • Brofist Brofist x 2
    • it is a mystery it is a mystery x 1
    ^ Top  
  22. IHaveHugeNick Arcane

IHaveHugeNick
    It's almost entirely reshade setups tbh.

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Brofist Brofist x 1
    • Yes Yes x 1
    • Despair Despair x 1
    ^ Top  
  23. frajaq Liturgist

frajaq
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • incline incline x 1
    ^ Top  
  24. JDR13 Magister

JDR13
    That's to be expected. The game was just released barely more than a week ago. I'm sure we'll see more variety after awhile.

• Fabulously Optimistic Fabulously Optimistic x 4
    • Funny Funny x 1
    ^ Top  
  25. Zer0wing Cipher

Zer0wing
    Contrary to others opinion (a singular praise), I don't find Kingdom Come Deliverance a good game and an enjoyable experience now, once it's finally finished with patching and DLCs. And I finished everything in this game just out of respect for Mafia 1 and OFP devs. Vavra basically pulled a ubisoft on this one, contrary to all these 'bethesda' comparisons.
    J_C What so "what"?

• FAKE NEWS x 3
    • Agree x 2
    • what? x 2
    • WTF am I reading x 1
    • retadred x 1
    • Doggy x 1
    ^ Top  

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.