Official RPG Codex Discord Server

1. Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.
    Dismiss Notice

The Outer Worlds - Obsidian's first-person sci-fi RPG - now with Murder on Eridanos DLC

Discussion in 'Obsidian Entertainment' started by Infinitron, Oct 25, 2019.

1. fantadomat Arcane Edgy

fantadomat
    Comparing games that are not direct sequels is pretty retarded. If anything,tow should be compared to Arcanum since it was made pretty much by the same guys/leads.

The things you say are all true,but they are also all summed under "writing". They are valid points for a lengthy discussion about the game,but writing is more practical when people are just writing a few sentences to shitpost. The main problem of it was that they decided to turn the world of the game in to a joke.A world where capitalism is evil could be done a lot better if it have a serious tone.

• Agree Agree x 1
    ^ Top  
  2. DeepOcean Arcane

DeepOcean
    Humm... this is a massive pile of shit.

Fanboy expectation: But... but... if they invest more money in it, it wont be a massive pile of shit this time.

Happens all the time: Hey guise, you gave us more money for our previous pile of shit, so, of course, you wanna MORE of the pile of shit.

^ Top  
  3. rusty_shackleford Arcane

rusty_shackleford
    other than item progression, all of this boils down to 'TOW writing bad, FONV writing gud' you tard

• Disagree Disagree x 2
    • Participation Award Participation Award x 1
    ^ Top  
  4. KVVRR Learned

KVVRR
    Well you were almost right.
    Show Spoiler

[​IMG] it was this guy. however there's another murderer on the lose and it ends up being none other than:
    [​IMG]

That was... pretty bad. Even disregarding the super played out cliché, I was completely unengaged through the whole story, mostly I could've done all of it literally without even reading, just following the pointer and propping up the stupid tool - but not only they're still trying to hit the same beats as last time, with a "big twist", people talking to you through screens and getting cut off, etc, they're STILL repeating the same mistakes from the base game and the last dlc. Why in the hell would I join
    Show Spoiler
    a crazy lunatic that's obviously been brainwashed by a fucking bug?
    There's no reason to, neither for me nor the character, other than me wanting to see what happens. Which hey, you can choose as an option, problem is it highlights the same issue as the last dlc did, confrontation and all!
    Show Spoiler
    [​IMG]

Again, it's like they writers only put the choice there because they HAD to since it's an obsidian RPG, but couldn't be arsed to even think as to why would you ever do so. You don't even get money out of this like in the last dlc, you get
    Show Spoiler
    feed to a fucking worm.

This isn't even a budget issue. You CAN write a good, engaging detective story even if it's mostly on tracks and all your leads are dead ends. Disco Elysium did it, what's Obsidian's excuse?

• honk honk! honk honk! x 4
    • Funny Funny x 3
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
    ^ Top  
  5. Roguey Codex Staff Sawyerite

Roguey
    Midwit Starks does it again. Including an evil option simply because she feels obligated to, but has no interest in giving any kind of non-"lol-so-random" motivation sounds about right.

• Brofist Brofist x 4
    • Informative Informative x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Disgusting! Disgusting! x 1
    ^ Top  
  6. Latro Arcane

Latro
    starks missed a good chance to make a futurama reference

"why did you help the parasites?"

"for no raisin"

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • retadred retadred x 1
    ^ Top  
  7. Fedora Master Arcane Patron Edgy

Fedora Master
    Just close the thread and let it die in peace.

• Agree x 4
    • Brofist x 1
    • feels good man x 1
    • Yes x 1
    • No x 1
    ^ Top  
  8. rusty_shackleford Arcane

rusty_shackleford
    I must admit, it was very difficult for me to guess that it would be "white man with uniquely white features is bad"

• honk honk! honk honk! x 1
    ^ Top  
  9. Wesp5 Prestigious Gentleman Arcane

Wesp5
    See Cyberpunk 2077...

• Funny Funny x 1
    • not sure if serious not sure if serious x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    ^ Top  
  10. fantadomat Arcane Edgy

fantadomat
    :hmmm:
    What about cybercuck? It is a boring game with mediocre gameplay and endless cinematic garbage. I deleted it pretty fast.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • hopw roewur ne hopw roewur ne x 1
    ^ Top  
  11. The Dutch Ghost Savant

The Dutch Ghost
    I decided to spoil the ending for myself as I am not going to play TOW or this DLC any time soon, but when I saw the twist/revelation I immediately thought "I could have seen this one coming from miles away. They couldn't come up with anything better?"

Or the big reveal at the end.

Show Spoiler
    This is basically a scheme by the Umbrella Company or any sci fi thriller that involves a plot involving parasites or symbiotes that can influence their hosts. A villain who wants to create a better or happier world by infecting everyone with a parasite to make them "better" people. (isn't this the plot of Resident Evil 4?)
    They'll probably starve to death but they will at least die with a grin on their faces.
    I was kind of surprised that the reveal did not include that he himself was also infected by a parasite that put him under control of the big bug. But him worshiping it is pretty much the next thing, treating it as royalty and even having the delusion that it can understand him and agrees with his plans.

Yeez, even Ulysses from Lonesome Road had more of a philosophy, wanting to break nations because he thought they were corrupt or flawed. And because the player believes in them.
    Sure it barely holds up but it is still a bit above the plot of this stinker. Or perhaps equal.

Watching the villain being eaten by the bug instead does not even count as irony, as like the rest of this DLC is it not cleverly written.
    I honestly feel that the makers of this DLC just took the plot from some other games, or books, comics, etc, and transplanted it in this DLC without doing any effort on it to do some kind of plot development idea of their own.

This and the previous DLC are so incredibly weak in what they offer, I feel people who may have bought a season pass have been conned.
    This is as pathetic as I felt that the Mass Effect 3 DLCs were, and those of ME2 honestly were not any better.

Hell, if the budgets of these DLCs could have been spend on post game content instead. What is the point of expanding the world with these places and side stories if they are not interesting?

^ Top  
  12. Ol' Willy Dumbfuck! Dumbfuck Zionist Agent

Ol' Willy
    When I think of how Tim & Co are going to embarrass themselves with their next game... Well, it is not the most pleasant thought

Does any of the oldtimers works on that Skyshit clone?

• hopw roewur ne hopw roewur ne x 1
    ^ Top  
  13. flyingjohn Arcane

flyingjohn
    Embarrassed?
    Tim found his pension plan in the form of the Microsoft buyout .
    Leonard is gleeful at the reception of outer worlds.It is i probably his most beloved game he ever worked on.
    Sawyer doesn't give a fuck and is more interested in bikes then games currently.

They are living the dream.Using somebody else money to make mediocrity to be sold for free on game pass.

• Funny x 5
    • Despair x 4
    • decline x 2
    • When words are not enough x 2
    • gimme dem dolla bills x 1
    • Yes x 1
    • Balanced x 1
    ^ Top  
  14. Major_Blackhart Codexia Lord Sodom Patron

Major_Blackhart
    God dammit that hurts reading flyingjohn

But that's the reality isn't it?

• Yes Yes x 1
    ^ Top  
  15. Flying Dutchman Educated

Flying Dutchman
    "I just wanted to see what would happen" is a classic Hannibal response, I suppose.

^ Top  
  16. vortex Fabulous Optimist

vortex
    YT within 1 week

• hopw roewur ne x 1
    • Funny x 1
    • Agree x 1
    • incline x 1
    • Informative x 1
    ^ Top  
  17. purupuru Learned

purupuru
    Is there any kind of sales data for the dlcs or did anyone at Obsidian say anything? My impression is that the initial hype of the game being "the FNV clone made by Obsidian" has completely died down, and no one really cares about it at this point, not even the crowd of less initiated. If they do make a TOW2 (which I think they will, it's not like they are thriving with better ideas), it could flop harder than deadfire.

• :M :M x 1
    ^ Top  
  18. DeepOcean Arcane

DeepOcean
    I think Leonard is practicing stoicism, always have extremely low expectations, this way, even the most inane things will appear wonderful.

^ Top  
  19. IHaveHugeNick Arcane

IHaveHugeNick
    There's is that interview where they get asked about 100 questions, Leonard gives an answer "we didn't have money for this feature" at least 50 times. And this was pre-launch interview by the way. So that far-fetched to assume they could do more with a bigger budget.

• Fabulously Optimistic Fabulously Optimistic x 1
    ^ Top  
  20. Wesp5 Prestigious Gentleman Arcane

Wesp5
    I don't think the whole corporations-and-all-men-are-stupid writing would be different with a bigger budget. Or even prettier facial animations and hair...

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Racist Racist x 1
    • M'lady M'lady x 1
    ^ Top  
  21. Kleptocratic debt serf Scholar

Kleptocratic debt serf
    Honestly, they seem to have forgotten who their base is (white western males)... The premise had some promise, at least as far as spoofing corporatism run amuck. But as you say, the all/most men stupid and/or evil and womyn smart and/or good was a bit much - bordering bewteen cuck simulator and post modern feminist fanfic.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Makes you think... Makes you think... x 1
    • Fabulously Optimistic Fabulously Optimistic x 1
    • M'lady M'lady x 1
    ^ Top  
  22. Roguey Codex Staff Sawyerite

Roguey
    Given what a huge success Horizon Zero Dawn was, most folks will put up with this stuff if they like the game.

• Despair Despair x 1
    ^ Top  
  23. rusty_shackleford Arcane

rusty_shackleford
    someone link the hzd quest making fun of aloy

^ Top  
  24. DeepOcean Arcane

DeepOcean
    That is bad news for Obsidian then.

^ Top  
  25. vortex Fabulous Optimist

vortex
    Horizon Zero Dawn is different kind of game having open world, supporting background lore and great combat. Writing in HZD was the least interesting part of it if not sub-par, yet it managed to become success. I wouldn't say that Obsidian should do full open world as well to get a successful game.

^ Top  

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.