Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

The Outer Worlds: Spacer's Choice Edition - Obsidian's first-person sci-fi RPG set in a corporate space colony

Vormulak

Learned
Edgy
Has Obsidian ever made a truly great game? and no fallout new vegas WITH mods doesn't count, they didnt make any mods.
Fallout New Vegas counts, it is at least a very good game.
Have you tried to replay it recently tho? I did, a year ago, and I uninstalled in a few hours. The world and writing is still fine but I just couldn't stomach the combat anymore. Sure, it's not really Obsidian's fault, it's a problem of the shitty Bethesda engine and mechanics but regardless, New Vegas is p. much unplayable for me nowadays.
I'm in the same boat as far as vanilla fallout nv goes.
Has Obsidian ever made a truly great game? and no fallout new vegas WITH mods doesn't count, they didnt make any mods.

They have.
MotB (despite the sucky engine), Pillars of Eternity (particularly White March) and PoE2: Deadfire.

Each of them has some issues, they don't quite reach the excellence of Kingmaker, but I'd still classify them as "great" - if flawed - gems.
Yeah I didnt like Kingmaker it was cringe right off the bat.

Fallout New Vegas without mods.
I would give Fallout NV a 7/10 tbh, the combat is extremely bad with all of the bullet sponge enemies, the vast majority of the quests are pretty forgettable in spite of some of the massive set pieces and the unfinished state of the game is the real nail in the coffin for me, no Legion settlements and no post game.

Haplo

Prophet
Patron
Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
So you think Planescape: Torment is not a masterpiece right? Because it has bad combat too

That is... not so obvious IMO.

Combat in P:T might be simple and lack variety, but its very fleshy (particularly when you use magic - things are far less interesting with a Fighter - good weapon variety though - and barely so-so with a thief - the outdated but sometimes fun backstab mechanic), stats have great impact (such as getting Fast Healing above certain Con threshold) and I've found it great fun at the time. Kinda like Fallout 1&2.
Also rather simple, but great equipment variety and awesome critical effects - unmatched till today - sold it for me and I consider original Fallout combat good - even if it lacks complexity of some other games.

Last edited:

jackofshadows

Magister
I also don't get this PS:T's combat is shit local meme consensus. I beleive it partially comes from the fact that majority goes with 16 char/16 int/16 wis 'muh dialogue options' build therefore gets quite clunky early game. That very majority also play with full stack therefore with lowest xp gain per member.

I mean, of course by comparison to some combat-dedicated party-oriented RPG like Icewind Dale or ToEE that still would be bad but for an RPG it was good enough. Similiar to the recent F2 vs UnderRail thread: F2's combat is way inferior but I wouldn't call it shit because of that.

Zombra

An iron rock in the river of blood and evil
Patron
Make the Codex Great Again! RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
To those holding up Planescape's combat as excellent: do the words 'confirmation bias' mean anything to you?

Honest, you guys: a game can be good without being perfect in every way. It's even possible for a great game to have flaws. Think about that even if it makes your head hurt.

Zed Duke of Banville

Dungeon Master
Patron
I also don't get this PS:T's combat is shit local meme consensus.
It isn't that combat is terrible in Planescape: Torment specifically; it's that combat is terrible in Bioware's execrable Infinity Engine, which Planescape: Torment was unfortunate enough to be burdened with. Real-Time with Pause combat combines the worst qualities of both turn-based and real-time.:M

Tigranes

Arcane
I also don't get this PS:T's combat is shit local meme consensus. I beleive it partially comes from the fact that majority goes with 16 char/16 int/16 wis 'muh dialogue options' build therefore gets quite clunky early game. That very majority also play with full stack therefore with lowest xp gain per member.

I mean, of course by comparison to some combat-dedicated party-oriented RPG like Icewind Dale or ToEE that still would be bad but for an RPG it was good enough. Similiar to the recent F2 vs UnderRail thread: F2's combat is way inferior but I wouldn't call it shit because of that.

I've played PST with all types of characters/parties, and the combat is thoroughly mediocre. It only feels OK because it's steeped in good old familiar D&D / IE mechanisms, but there's nothing particularly fun or interesting about any of its encounters, it is the definition of inoffensive filler.

(Except for the first time seeing the ludicrous JRPG-style high end spell animations, good times)

LizardWizard

Cipher
Even then, Planescape combat is way worse than BG/IWD where you can roll multiple race/class combinations. I'm completely baffled by anyone trying to defend Planescape combat, it's absolutely intolerable, I'd rather play anything else. That includes Fallout 1, hell even the PC gamer Fallout 1 demo disc.

Haplo

Prophet
Patron
Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
Noone claims its better/on the level of BG/IWD. Its... fit for purpose. And the jrpg animations were great for me.
As well as progressing with Missile of Patience from a small prick, trough a summoned bow all the way to a multi-shot ballista...
Or witnessing Mechanus' Cannon... good times!

Yosharian

Arcane
Noone claims its better/on the level of BG/IWD. Its... fit for purpose. And the jrpg animations were great for me.
As well as progressing with Missile of Patience from a small prick, trough a summoned bow all the way to a multi-shot ballista...
So you're saying FNV's combat can't be fun? Come ON hap. Sniping people's heads off at long range. Melting people with a laser cannon. Watching Boone rampage through Caesar's Legion like a godamn killing machine. Stomping around in Power Armour. None of these things are fun to you?

Yosharian

Arcane
I don't entirely disagree that FNV's flaws stop it from being a truly great game. All I'm saying is if that's your stance, you better be consistent. Note that I never said *I* think Planescape Torment is a masterpiece.

Personally I can look past FNV's problems, especially because you can fix some of them with mods. But yeah, it's janky as fuck sometimes and it can ruin the experience somewhat

Codex Year of the Donut
I don't entirely disagree that FNV's flaws stop it from being a truly great game. All I'm saying is if that's your stance, you better be consistent. Note that I never said *I* think Planescape Torment is a masterpiece.

Personally I can look past FNV's problems, especially because you can fix some of them with mods. But yeah, it's janky as fuck sometimes and it can ruin the experience somewhat
fnv isn't a masterpiece

Terenty

Liturgist
New Vegas is not a masterpiece not because of the engine, but because the writing is bland, the characters are boring and the voice acting is awful.

And if you think the main writer is good then go play Horizon zero dawn and see it's the same boring shit.

KVVRR

Learned
New Vegas is not a masterpiece not because of the engine, but because the writing is bland, the characters are boring and the voice acting is awful.

And if you think the main writer is good then go play Horizon zero dawn and see it's the same boring shit.
random npcs and small roles that share the same actors aren't great but the characters that actually matter in new vegas have great voice acting, what are you on about? House, Caesar and Yesman wouldn't be nearly as good if their actors weren't doing a stellar job.

Vormulak

Learned
Edgy
So you're saying FNV's combat can't be fun? Come ON hap. Sniping people's heads off at long range. Melting people with a laser cannon. Watching Boone rampage through Caesar's Legion like a godamn killing machine. Stomping around in Power Armour. None of these things are fun to you?
OMG IM PRESSING THE RIGHT MOUSE BUTTON AS ENEMIES RUN AROUND AIMLESSLY.

KVVRR

Learned
OMG IM PRESSING THE RIGHT MOUSE BUTTON AS ENEMIES RUN AROUND AIMLESSLY.
I'm a sucker for unarmed combat in vidya so punching deathclaws to death and seeing them explode everywhere was pretty fun for me

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom