Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

The Outer Worlds: Spacer's Choice Edition - Obsidian's first-person sci-fi RPG set in a corporate space colony

Blaine

Cis-Het Oppressor
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy
Androgynous lesbianoids trekking through a ham-fistedly caricatured capitalist dystopia is an inherently boring concept, not to mention blatant pandering.

It's as if they were aiming for a combination of Brave New World, The Moon Is a Harsh Mistress, and 1984, except this game is in no way daring or revolutionary and is utterly devoid of compelling concepts or interesting ideas.

Cael

Arcane
I am watching a let's play of Outer Worlds right now, actually, funnily enough. I am not seeing why it is met with so much hate.

Can people please explain that to me? The game play seems pretty good, and there doesn't seem to be any game stopping bugs. You don't get stuck in terrain, and barring one graphics glitch, the graphics are pretty darned good. Barring the commiecunt propaganda, there doesn't seem to be all that much sjw shittery in there.

Cael

Arcane
I'm a sucker for unarmed combat in vidya so punching deathclaws to death and seeing them explode everywhere was pretty fun for me
I got this game for you that will let you do that, and is not Oblivion with guns: Fallout Tactics.

kangaxx

Arbiter
I am watching a let's play of Outer Worlds right now, actually, funnily enough. I am not seeing why it is met with so much hate.

Can people please explain that to me? The game play seems pretty good, and there doesn't seem to be any game stopping bugs. You don't get stuck in terrain, and barring one graphics glitch, the graphics are pretty darned good. Barring the commiecunt propaganda, there doesn't seem to be all that much sjw shittery in there.

I'll happily list my complaints:

- Mountains of pointless loot you'll never use.

- Easy to the point of being a waste of time, particularly with quest markers.

- Antagonists are a caricature of evil capitalists, but aren't even a worthy opponent.

- The NPCs are retarded corporate drones and nobody (apart from one individual) seems to have worked the previous point out.

- Stealth system and theft system is a joke.

- Humour is cringey.

- Weapons are dull (science weapons are OK I suppose, but still).

- Situations where choices should have an impact on the world do basically nothing.

- Game is padded with hundreds of shitty identikit encounters with nameless raiders in the wilds. Those sodding yellow boxes and a few people there to gun down and loot your 1000th lock pick.

- Companions are annoying. Why do I care about burning precious resources in a dying/starving colony to travel around the universe acquiring dresses and shoes for the first companion? Do I want her to get her bean flicked that badly? Stunning and indeed brave.

- Final mission makes zero sense, but you won't even care by that point.

I could go on, but these still sit at the top of my head, 2 years after I played it. It's dogshit.

Cael

Arcane

I'll happily list my complaints:

- Mountains of pointless loot you'll never use.

- Easy to the point of being a waste of time, particularly with quest markers.

- Antagonists are a caricature of evil capitalists, but aren't even a worthy opponent.

- The NPCs are retarded corporate drones and nobody (apart from one individual) seems to have worked the previous point out.

- Stealth system and theft system is a joke.

- Humour is cringey.

- Weapons are dull (science weapons are OK I suppose, but still).

- Situations where choices should have an impact on the world do basically nothing.

- Game is padded with hundreds of shitty identikit encounters with nameless raiders in the wilds. Those sodding yellow boxes and a few people there to gun down and loot your 1000th lock pick.

- Companions are annoying. Why do I care about burning precious resources in a dying/starving colony to travel around the universe acquiring dresses and shoes for the first companion? Do I want her to get her bean flicked that badly? Stunning and indeed brave.

- Final mission makes zero sense, but you won't even care by that point.

I could go on, but these still sit at the top of my head, 2 years after I played it. It's dogshit.
Ah, I see.

Most of those don't really bother me, which could be why.

Most games have mountains of pointless loot. Even Fallout and BG. So, I am not too fussed about that.

Easy is relative, I guess. The one I am watching is on the highest difficulty and he is getting wrecked by certain monsters until he got better armour and guns and discovered an OP combo, but this is pretty standard for most games. Arcanum as a mage with Agility of Fire, Strength of Earth, Dagger of Speed and Enchanted War Boots pretty much kills entire encounters solo on Turn 1.

Evul capitalists... As I said: commiecunt propaganda.

NPCs being retarded brainwashed drones is not unusual. China has over 1 billion of the buggers.

Stealth and theft is always a joke. It started with Elder Scrolls: Arena and never really ended. I got used to it. Even Fallout 2, you can get a frakk ton of XP using Pickpocket. More than enough to get you to level 50+ just by taking things (forget about planting stuff on NPCs...)

Humour is subjective :D For example, I don't mind dad jokes.

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron
You don't get stuck in terrain

10/10 goty
Another manchild insisting that someone who doesn't think a game is all that bad must equate it to the best ever.

tenor.gif

New Vegas is a goddamned masterpiece and I got stuck in terrain plenty of times while seeing graphical glitches in that game. Half of the Codex' top 100 is a bugfest. As far as criteria to judge the quality of a game, whether you get stuck in terrain or not is one of the least interesting metrics.

Last edited:

Cael

Arcane
You don't get stuck in terrain

10/10 goty
Another manchild insisting that someone who doesn't think a game is all that bad must equate it to the best ever.

tenor.gif

New Vegas is a goddamned masterpiece and I got stuck in terrain plenty of times while seeing graphical glitches in that game. Half of the Codex' top 100 is a bugfest. As far as criteria to judge the quality of a game, whether you get stuck in terrain or not is one of the least interesting criteria.
A bugfest is exactly the reason why I don't rate most modern games. "Mods will fix it" is a frakking meme, not something praiseworthy.

jackofshadows

Magister

The biggest offender is FO4-tier worldbuilding. Nothing makes sense there. I've seen crazy mental gymnastics by TOW fanboys to justify many of that shit by the way and that was as cringy as the humor in TOW itself. Gameplay isn't good, it's just passble for shooty-shooty with RPG elements game, nothing more. And there's tons of sjw shittery even aside from "commiecunt propaganda". Bottomline - if you think FO4 is a good game then TOW will be also "good" I guess.

Efe

Erudite
it is made to be consumed by fallout 4 players, so not really a failure?

Efe

Erudite
I cant compare since I didnt play fallout 4 in a meaningful length of time but was going by this
if you think FO4 is a good game then TOW will be also "good" I guess.

Cael

Arcane

The biggest offender is FO4-tier worldbuilding. Nothing makes sense there. I've seen crazy mental gymnastics by TOW fanboys to justify many of that shit by the way and that was as cringy as the humor in TOW itself. Gameplay isn't good, it's just passble for shooty-shooty with RPG elements game, nothing more. And there's tons of sjw shittery even aside from "commiecunt propaganda". Bottomline - if you think FO4 is a good game then TOW will be also "good" I guess.
Never played either. As I said, I was just watching it. From what I saw, it didn't seem too bad. What sjw shittery did you see?

Yosharian

Arcane

Bro that comparison is insulting to FO4

purupuru

Learned
it didn't seem too bad
It's not offensively bad. When I finished it at release I thought it was pretty boring and did not live up to the hype and I would never buy a Obsidian game at release ever again, but I didn't think it was worse than fallout 4 (without mods at least). But now when I try to recall my experience with both games, I can't remember a single endearing aspect or moment about TOW, and while FO4 has many atrociously bad aspects, there are actually some interesting locations you can explore.

Wunderbar

Arcane
What sjw shittery did you see?
You press "new game", chargen window opens, and default preset is a black woman. Okay, our character is a blank slate protagonist anyway, just gonna move a few sliders and make a guy.

Then the game starts, and the first npc is a crazy old guy from Rick and Morty (I didn't watch the show so i don't know which one of them is Rick and which one is Morty).

Then you realize that all of the female characters in the first city are quirky, strong, resourceful and independent (like the sheriff who guards the botanical laboratory, or the leader of rebels, or the first party member - Parvati) while males are dumbfucks (the incompetent mayor of Edgewater).

Then you get to the second city and get a sidequest where you find out that the previous captain of your ship (the supposed Han Solo-style tough swashbuckling space smuggler) was a flaming homo, and you meet his former lover.

Then you meet the rest of your party members - tough and independent pink-haired woman gunslinger with daddy issues, tough and independent purple-haired woman with alcohol-abuse issues, 20yrs old soyboy loser, a cleaning robot, and a former criminal who poses as a priest (the only good companion).

Then you realize that all of the female characters in the rest of the game are quirky, strong, resourceful and independent (like the lead mechanic of Groundbreaker, or the leader of Iconoclasts, or the secretary of mayor of Stellar bay, or the Board adjutant who gives you an alternate questline to take down Rick and Morty dude, etc), while males are dumbfucks (like the pajeet mayor of Stellar bay, or the Board chairman forgot his name, etc etc).

And the main story is basically "capitalism is bad, help the guy from Rick and Morty to save the world and fix all the problems by overthrowing the Board".

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom