Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

The Outer Worlds: Spacer's Choice Edition - Obsidian's first-person sci-fi RPG set in a corporate space colony

Shadenuat

Arcane
one russian review is p damning, mainly about companions, lolnufalloutwriting, difficulty and that you mostly see all the guns in the beginning and then just find MK2/MK3 ones

in the end states it's healthy man Fallout 4

comment under video: what does it mean "healthy"? You mean if I like and bought F4 and 76 I am unhealthy or what?
reviewer: Yes.

also you can have a janitor robot who is just janitor as companion who thinks of your enemies as trash he needs to use his water cannon on.

Vorark

Erudite
According to the Codex nfo, game lacks any type of protection. This is actually... kinda nice.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
Two things; first, agenda-pushing:

https://twitter.com/BeguiledGamer/status/1186631227056504832

Oh one more thing about The Outer Worlds I wanted to talk about. In the game, you'll meet a companion called Parvati and get to help her set up a date. You learn during this that she is asexual.

Anything-for-a-Dollarhyde got it in! If you don't recall,
And nowwwwwww for something a bit more on-topic. Kate "anything for a" Dollarhyde has a reddit account, and here's something she said a couple of days ago https://www.reddit.com/user/kdollarhyde

kdollarhyde commented on Serious question... why is there so much lesbian representation but so little about gay men?

I'm sorry you're being downvoted. I think you have a valid point, and this is something I will work to rectify in my future writing. I know it's not always easy to speak up, and I appreciate you doing so.

I'm asexual, a frequently misunderstood and marginalized identity.
Asexual representation is absolutely another thing we can do better. Like I told OP, this is something I will think about and try to rectify in my own writing.

No doubt big bear Tim will put a rubberstamp on all these loud and proud gay and ace men she wants to include. The Outer Worlds is going to look like a pride parade by the time they're through.

By the way, it's "I appreciate your doing so," Ms. Writer.

I don't doubt you'll meet all kinds of broke-brains during your excursion to The Outer Worlds. :)

Second, bringing a bit more attention to some details in this negative review https://gamingtrend.com/feature/reviews/gilded-space-age-the-outer-world-review/

Combat: Pretty much plays itself with companions.

Regardless of your loadout, your companions can absolutely destroy most enemies in the game with minimal assistance, despite their most advanced tactical option being “stand 10 feet from the first thing you see and shotgun it to death.” If you’re looking for any sort of challenge, I’d recommend cranking the difficulty up to Hard, where baddies at least hit a bit harder and take longer to kill. Combat isn’t the highlight of The Outer Worlds, though. I’d go as far as to say that there’s actually too much combat, given how much more satisfying some of the less action-oriented parts of the game are.

Figures, right?

Hope you like playing characters who are Great at everything:
The trouble comes with how you actually use those skills in the game. The Outer Worlds keeps its promise of letting you play however you want by flattening the difference between skill sets and being unwilling to keep any of its content out of reach. While on rare occasions, being an expert hacker or inveterate liar might give you a slightly different way to complete a quest, the end result is almost always the same, and never once did I encounter an obstacle that I had to put off until I could level up or switch crewmates to complete. Most important locked computer terminals can also be opened with a passcode found conveniently nearby, and anything you gain by charming your way through a conversation can also be achieved through violence. Time after time, I used my Lockpick skill to break into an off-limits section of one or another practically identical compound only to find another unlocked door just feet away for anyone who hadn’t bothered to invest their skill points in skullduggery. And no matter what skills you invest in, there’s no avoiding the fact that combat is the most prevalent pillar of gameplay. You can be a sneaky, charismatic hacker if you want, but there’s no avoiding a lot of firefights along the way.

Passing any skill check also gives you a shot of XP, which creates a weird feedback loop where the more you invest in these skills, the more skill points you end up getting. Between the bonuses I got from my companions and the fountains of XP shooting out of every locked door and secure computer, there was basically no skill check I couldn’t pass by the middle of the game. Rather than crafting a unique character with their own way of addressing Halcyon’s challenges, I wound up becoming a jack of all trades with more skills than I knew what to do with, and it felt more disappointing than empowering. Because The Outer Worlds seems to be built to let you pass any obstacle however you see fit, I was often arbitrarily choosing from three or four options with the exact same outcome. You could argue that it’s because of how I played: I could have ditched my companions, poured more points into my neglected combat skills, or kept some scores artificially low. Those are all options, but a skill system that you have to exploit to make yourself less powerful may just be a flawed system.

Your precious Tim Cain, everybody. He made Tyranny/Tides of Numenera. You lived long enough to see all your RPG idols fall.

But it's not entirely doom and gloom:

This strange ambivalence, the desire to paint those who oppose the game’s cartoonishly evil corporations as somehow suspect, shows up all over the place in The Outer Worlds. For instance, your most reasonable companions tend to be the most protective of the status quo, while the most radical is also kind of a starry-eyed airhead. One of the most telling details for me is the simple fact that corporate NPCs get names like “guard” and “worker,” while members of the anti-corporate Iconoclasts are called things like “rioter,” even if they’re doing nothing more than standing around a bar or doing clerical work.

the-outer-worlds_20191018040521-e1571708847678.jpg

Based Corporate Lib Boyarsky. That "rioting" clerk is hilarious. :lol:

Last edited:

conan_edw

Arbiter
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy Pathfinder: Wrath
So I just got to Edgewater and so far:

• Opening area was too linear for my taste.
  • Unfortunately, writing didn't get me invested enough yet to care about whatever lore information they are throwing at me.
  • I'm playing on hard and humanoid enemies are too easy to breeze through. I found a pack of huge monsters and tried to kill them but they were too fast for me to handle and I don't think they were that bullet-spongy so I think that's kind of good.Also, Gunplay isn't too bad but it is not good either, I think the way the gun is swaying when you move is preventing me from shooting properly. I don't use ADS as I passionately hate it, didn't use TTD either since it's not necessary.
  • Initial FOV will make you puke, please be sure to change it immediately for your health.
  • Event though I turned off waypoints they still show on top and I really hate it. I think navigation without them is possible.
  • I don't like the way each skill is including 2 sub-skills. I'd rather level up each one individually to build the character how I want.
  • Have 1080 Ti and I don't think it's keeping up above 60 fps on ultra, had to tone it down and I still get stutters from time to time.

Hopefiully first town becomes better.

Last edited:

Butter

Arcane
Patron
So there's no romance in the game, but the asexual companion still has to tell you about her sexual orientation. You know, that sounds remarkably on point.

Nano

Arcane
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy Strap Yourselves In
Your precious Tim Cain, everybody. He made Tyranny/Tides of Numenera. You lived long enough to see all your RPG idols fall.
I was going to say Jason Anderson is still safe, but then I noticed that he apparently joined inXile earlier this year, so nevermind.

conan_edw

Arbiter
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy Pathfinder: Wrath
Had enough with the navigator, turned off the whole HUD :M

EDIT: Fuck it also turns off the weapons crosshair :negative: I may turn it back on.

Insert Title Here
Genuinely curious, did people get mad because the only female companion in Fallout had a green mohawk?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom