Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

The Outer Worlds: Spacer's Choice Edition - Obsidian's first-person sci-fi RPG set in a corporate space colony

Delterius

Arcane
The Outer Worlds is just a side project and it shows.

A side project to what? This was the only big thing they were making at the time. Like calling Alpha Protocol a side project.
A side project to losing weight or planting a new garden at home maybe. I dunno.

gurugeorge

Arcane
Patron
Strap Yourselves In
Fallout 4 is actually alright if you have the mod that lets you choose any of a bunch of varied starts, and you can pick up the MQ at your leisure, or not at all. Bethesda games are great for just noodling around, that's their strength. They have enough curious little side-quests dotted around to entertain you. There's definitely an element of emergent gameplay in Bethesda games too (often "out of the frying pan into the fire" types of situations) that keeps them fresh, if you just wander around without any particular goal in mind.

I wouldn't say TOW is much like it, TOW's world is even more cramped than Fallout 4, which is on the limit of allowable crampedness, and you can sort of wander around aimlessly in it; not so in TOW, everything is a theme park ride, all jammed together.

Sunsetspawn

Arcane
The constant "corporations are bad mmkay" commentary in every single quest, lore tidbit, and piece of dialogue definitely started to wear its welcome out after a while. It's one thing to have some meta commentary in the setting, but I guess dangerhairs couldn't keep it subtle and had to slam you over the head with the crowbar of the theme constantly. Commies gonna commie.
At this point it's full blown clowns-in-clown-world. All this social justice commie crap IS global corporate sloganeering designed for ruling through, at least partially, division. A game about evil corporate rule written by people who have their faces buried deep in the asshole of Earth's trans-national, corporate, ruling powers.

Codex Year of the Donut
Still better than those Todd's creations, How are called them? Fallout 47, Fallout 74 I don't remember. Sheeeeiiiit.
Much worse overall. The only thing it did better was NPC reactivity to the player.
It's really hard to rank Outer Worlds because I disliked it so much. It's not one of those "so bad it's good in a funny way" or "pretty bad but has some redeeming qualities", it's just terrible mediocrity with some parts worse than others and nothing standing out.
Maybe the real metacommentary was that a game as shitty as Outerworlds would be well received by game journos just because they put an anticapitalist message in it.

ciox

Liturgist
The constant "corporations are bad mmkay" commentary in every single quest, lore tidbit, and piece of dialogue definitely started to wear its welcome out after a while. It's one thing to have some meta commentary in the setting, but I guess dangerhairs couldn't keep it subtle and had to slam you over the head with the crowbar of the theme constantly. Commies gonna commie.
At this point it's full blown clowns-in-clown-world. All this social justice commie crap IS global corporate sloganeering designed for ruling through, at least partially, division. A game about evil corporate rule written by people who have their faces buried deep in the asshole of Earth's trans-national, corporate, ruling powers.

Um, excuse me, ACKSHUALLY I'll have you know that the developers cleverly and deftly addressed these issues. Even when corporate interests affect the platforms that their games ship on.

Observe.

t89oFSH.png

A bit of a pickle for the development team, to be sure.

But not so fast, you angry keyboard warriors.

8m63wvA.png

iRes0aK.png

And there you have it!

Outlander

Custom Tags Are For Fags.
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Wasteland 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
So... they made a game to preach 'corporations bad' but then immediatly sold out to Microsoft.

And now, because Microsoft's exclusivity, they're making a sequel that has nothing to do with the original game to avoid upsetting PS fanboys.

What a disgusting developer they have become.

Last edited:

Modron

Arcane
So... they made a game to preach 'corporations bad' but then immediatly sold out to Microsoft.

And now, because Microsoft's exclusivity, they're making a sequel that has nothing to do with the original game to avoid upsetting PS fanboys.

Microsoft acquired Obsidian, why are smooth brains shocked Obsidian games are not being published on MS's direct competition?

Outlander

Custom Tags Are For Fags.
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Wasteland 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.

Microsoft acquired Obsidian, why are smooth brains shocked Obsidian games are not being published on MS's direct competition?

No idea, is anybody shocked about it?

Codex Year of the Donut

console fanboys are insane

Sunsetspawn

Arcane
And there you have it!
I was specifically addressing the SocJus crap being the ultimate modern global corporate grift. I don't care much about the business dealings angle because that's how shit be. Also, it's fine because the TOW1 was self contained. I find the Mass Effect argument interdasting because that series showed us exactly why you DON'T try to make a multi-game story.
https://www.shamusyoung.com/twentysidedtale/?p=28475
TL: DR - Drew was moved to the cash cow TOR and wasn't head writer for ME2, so all of his threads were dropped.

Now what does concern me is, especially considering the Activision deal, Sony's demise. I personally wasn't planning on a PS5 as I just bought a juggernaut PC and GT7 should be fine on my Pro, but without competition the game industry could get even worse, if that's possible. Oh well, I've got an overflowing GOG library and my 3070 is just itching for some Icewind Dale 2, though I heard some things about arrows not appearing correctly on modern GPUs running the IE.

mediocrepoet

Philosoraptor in Residence
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex+ Now Streaming! MCA Project: Eternity Divinity: Original Sin 2
Much worse overall. The only thing it did better was NPC reactivity to the player.
It's really hard to rank Outer Worlds because I disliked it so much. It's not one of those "so bad it's good in a funny way" or "pretty bad but has some redeeming qualities", it's just terrible mediocrity with some parts worse than others and nothing standing out.

This nails it. TOW is the game equivalent of colourless, flavourless pablum mush that you try and cram back to find some redeeming sustenance in it only to find that you can't stomach it for long at all.

E3tYRH0VIAA1daP.jpg

Dollarhyde.

Wow, she has a lot of free real estate available. She should rent out her forehead as a parking lot.

Codex Year of the Donut
Amusing, had this come up on youtube after I finished a video. Decided to watch it & read the comments to get some normie opinions as it's recent(Feb 25, 2022) and has a lot of views.

tl;dw: Outerworlds seems to be considered painfully mediocre by normies.

All I remember from this game is being super angry and disappointed that the biggest decision at the endgame was "Be a horrible piece of shit and side with the corporations or be the hero". Truly a thought-provoking and difficult choice, thank you Outer Worlds
heh

Last edited:

Bad Sector

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Decided to watch it & read the comments to get some normie opinions as it's recent

I don't think Salt Factory is "normie" though as his opinions (haven't watched this video but i have watched a few others at the past) is much closer to what you'd find here than in, say, /r/gaming :-P

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom