Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

The Outer Worlds: Spacer's Choice Edition - Obsidian's first-person sci-fi RPG set in a corporate space colony

Codex Year of the Donut
I refuse to believe Tim and team have grown more incompetent with age.
tim-cain-triangles.jpg

I wonder why this game feels like it was made for babies.
That's not numberless, that's just representing numbers in a different way.

Color coding is superior, btw.

Sannom

Augur
The Outer Worlds does have good perks, but they're automatically granted when reaching certain skill thresholds, leaving only the bland ones for the perks proper.

Yosharian

Arcane
TOW wouldn't be a good game if traits did something useful, or if perks were better.

The entire game, every facet of its being, is complete dogshit. This game would have to be a fundamentally different game created by an entirely different set of developers before it could be anything remotely approaching good.

S.torch

Arbiter
I remember complaining about something like that on the Loop Hero forum. About a missed opportunity and how things like +0.01 HP is not really interesting or engaging. I also asked who did it and who thought it was good (it was a rhetorical question, there are only 4 devs I think).

One of the devs went full hard on me saying that he did that (just to mock me) and still thinks that it's fun.

So, I believe this is the future my bois. If you even need to explain that the ability to do something unique is much more interesting than having +0.01 to your HP, then something is very wrong. And I'm seeing this in a lot of new games.

Perhaps it's time to learn some game devs skill while it's not too late or stop playing altogether.

This is the future that combatkiddies choose.

ciox

Liturgist
good luck, i'm behind 7 proxies playthroughs of The Outer Worlds™

Modron

Arcane
I did not get that reference.
Skyway, blessed be his name, when talking about KotOR said he was more capable to criticize the game than other posters because he had completed it 7 times. Thus the codex meme of you needing to beat a game 7 times to have an opinion on the game was born.

The Dutch Ghost

Arbiter
Is this game an f'ing chore to get through.
With my new PC finished last week and having first gone through a replay again of Terminator Resistance's main campaign, the Infiltrator mini DLC, and the Annihilation Line DLC (one advice, do not play all these campaigns after another, I love how the designers recreated the atmosphere of the future war in the game but one really needs to play these campaigns with pauses between them), I started on the Outer Worlds which someone gifted to me last year for my birthday.
I had hoped that after I finished the starter location which took longer than it ever should that the campaign would finally take off and I would find something that would make me interested in finishing it. But so far there has not been a single hook that draws me in.
I have just been talking to some of the most brain dead people you can find, corporation talk this and corporation talk that. At least the game makes it clear that it is this corporate brainwashing that has made most of these people detached from reality but it also makes me wonder why the hell I should be interested in saving them and this colony. Because my character is stuck in the system?
Right now I am on Monarch and because I decided not to buy that navkey because it is expensive and I failed at the quest to get it for free I had instead start this place from a spaceport that is overrun by alien creatures. The last forty minutes I have been going through a mostly empty piece of land shooting animals and the occasional crazy raider, giving me more the feeling that I am playing a Borderlands game.

The gameplay has been a damn drag. Your standard FPS action-adventure with some stat building elements in order to open doors, hack computers, get lower prices, open more conversation options so I can be even more bored by people I don't care about.
And the shooting part isn't even better, the variety of enemies feels very limited and they are pretty stupid too. Human type enemies may take cover but all animal life as well as the robots just rush you
So far the weapons assortment has been very limited as well. Maybe there are missile launchers as I did come across a grenade launcher but there have been moments that I really wish I had some grenades to throw at enemies when they are together.
The slowdown mechanic in general feels somewhat useless as it is very quickly depleted.

Well the game looks more colorful than most of the brown color palette hiking sims that have been released in previous years but the designs in general fail to make any impact. Like with Fallout the designers try to make it look sort of retro sci-fi ish with the robots and the computers. I guess the spacecraft designs are okay.
As for the people's appearance. When I showed this game to the person who helped me build my new PC his first response on seeing some of the characters of Edgewater was how ugly the faces are, I can't tell him the next time I see him that the quality of faces improves later om the game.

For a game that is suppose to be the first entry into a new franchise, it hasn't been able to convince me yet that it is worth following up on. The writing and the content has been pretty unimpressive and the gameplay is of the type we have seen plenty of times before.
As a setting even Mass Effect which is derivative of various well known television and movie sci-fi franchises is more appealing and that one is cliche as hell. The one of this game is just bland.

Last edited:

thesecret1

Arcane
Yeah, I had similar impressions. I cannot even point at a single thing and say "THIS is what's wrong with it", here it's sort of an all-encompassing feeling of boredom. The game technically has every system such a game should have, but is just so damn dull; it's like it's lacking anything fun in it. Kind of like eating an unflavoured tofu – it doesn't taste bad, it just doesn't taste at all.

LudensCogitet

Learned
Yeah, I had similar impressions. I cannot even point at a single thing and say "THIS is what's wrong with it", here it's sort of an all-encompassing feeling of boredom. The game technically has every system such a game should have, but is just so damn dull; it's like it's lacking anything fun in it. Kind of like eating an unflavoured tofu – it doesn't taste bad, it just doesn't taste at all.
Agreed. But then imagine eating unflavored tofu for 20 hours. The very repetition turns what was bland into torture and all the soy turns you gay.

gurugeorge

Arcane
Patron
Strap Yourselves In

Yeah it has the overall feel of game-design-by-numbers. There's a cool idea struggling to get out, but the gameplay is irredeemably average, and so anxiously stuffed with things for the player to do and notice that it doesn't feel like an adventure so much as a theme park ride, with obsequious servants ushering you along to some POI wherever you're standing. None of the places feel like real places, they all feel like a bundle of Pavlovian levers for "the player" to press and get a reward. It's overwrought, it doesn't have any breathing space.

And the writing, though interestingly context-aware at times (in terms of NPC responses), is just a whole bunch of stuff-that-people-would-never-actually-say (i.e. it's student-level writing).

Yosharian

Arcane
TOW is a mediocre product made by mediocre people

At every level of design and development the game was touched by a multitude of mediocre hands that have shaped it into what it is

There is almost nothing redeeming about any facet of it

ciox

Liturgist
feels like reactive dialogue and "omg you can kill anyone" became more fashionable lately, it's like an attempt to compress reactivity and choices into bullet points, rather than diving deep into each quest
all the uncoordinated interns can build whatever crummy quests/interactions they feel like, then at the end you slap on bullet point features like reactive NPC dialogue and "you can kill all quest NPCs" and presto

Rafidur

Learned
You can kill the asexual lesbian strong independant engineer self-insert mid-date. This is great and fuck you for thinking otherwise.

Fedora Master

Arcane
Patron
Edgy
TOW is a mediocre product made by mediocre people

At every level of design and development the game was touched by a multitude of mediocre hands that have shaped it into what it is

There is almost nothing redeeming about any facet of it
It's so mediocre, Codex can't stop talking about how mediocre it is.
"This is the most average turd I've ever tasted!"

KVVRR

Learned
You can kill the asexual lesbian strong independant engineer self-insert mid-date. This is great and fuck you for thinking otherwise.
It's so weird that they especifically mentioned that they decided not to add any denigrating dialogue options regarding Parvati's sexuality but left the option to do stuff like this enabled on the game. Not that I'm complaining, being a complete monster's always fun games like these.
Wish that the NPCs wouldn't help you kill their loved ones if you don't one shot them though. It makes it super weird to have her helping me bash the leader of the first colony you visit's head in then turn around and ask "what's wrong with you???"

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom