Official Codex Discord Server

1. Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.
    Dismiss Notice

The Outer Worlds - Obsidian's first-person sci-fi RPG - now with Peril on Gorgon DLC

Discussion in 'Obsidian Entertainment' started by Infinitron, Oct 25, 2019.

1. Flou Savant

Flou
    Well, you are presuming that her project has been fully staffed. She might have had to wait for the 1st DLC to get finished before getting rest of the crew together. It's not like she has been only working on this, she also wrote for the 1st DLC.

^ Top  
  2. DalekFlay Arcane Patron

DalekFlay
    When I played the game at release, there was a simple .ini file tweak that got rid of the companion shit. When I played the DLC on the last patch, that tweak no longer worked. Even if you set the file to read only, somehow it still reverted back to on.

^ Top  
  3. Naraya Cipher

Naraya
    • incline incline x 2
    • Brofist Brofist x 1
    • meh meh x 1
    ^ Top  
  4. Infinitron I post news Patron

Infinitron
    Grab the Codex by the pussy Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Kingmaker
    Was not expecting that. Good news.

https://www.gog.com/game/the_outer_worlds?pp=cb4e5208b4cd87268b208e49452ed6e89a68e0b8

• incline incline x 1
    • Peaceful protest Peaceful protest x 1
    • Grab the minigun, there are demons here to smite Grab the minigun, there are demons here to smite x 1
    • Shit Shit x 1
    ^ Top  
  5. Alexander DeLarge Savant

Alexander DeLarge
    Probably the final Obsidian title to release on GOG/DRM-free. Talk about going out with a whimper.

• Funny Funny x 1
    • Peaceful protest Peaceful protest x 1
    ^ Top  
  6. Flying Dutchman Educated

Flying Dutchman
    This is third-hand (maybe more) but NeoGAF dude who lurks on the dev forums claimed Kate Dollarhyde was originally the one guiding DLC1 and ran it into the ground, so I don't know if Carrie should be blamed for it for coming in later, although she probably had to pick up the pieces.

When did Carrie start on it, or was she always on it?

This is just me, I got the impression like with the storywreck of Deadfire, Carrie got the "blessing" of inheriting a mess (first Sawyer, then Kate in this case) and trying to fix it.

Not that I'm a Carrie fan if she wrote Aloth, though, she sucks.

They could have also delayed the DLC because of (1) fights with Private Division and (2) wanting to have something to justify a full price for the Steam release, too, but (3) it's probably easier to assume they fucked up the production for it. It's a shame because the Deadfire DLCs seemed pretty great.

• hopw roewur ne hopw roewur ne x 1
    ^ Top  
  7. Flou Savant

Flou
    I don't recall Dollarhyde having Game Director on LinkedIn. People would have gone mental here over that. However I think she had Lead Narrative Designer up at some point. Now she is listed as Narrative Co-Lead on the DLC.

Carrie started as the Game Director on November 2019. So she definitely did not work on the project for that long. Which means someone else was leading the project for some time.

^ Top  
  8. Wunderbar Arcane

Wunderbar
    someone else explain yourself!

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Rage Rage x 1
    ^ Top  
  9. Gordian Nutt Novice

Gordian Nutt
    Whoever was in charge DLC story was poor so it does not matter?

• [citation needed] [citation needed] x 1
    ^ Top  
  10. Flying Dutchman Educated

Flying Dutchman
    Of course it fucking matters, retard.

Not like Obsidian will fix it (the very case in point - they didn't fix it at all on the DLC, they just added a fuck-up dev to a fuck-up dev, combining two fuck-up devs to supposedly to prevent an already created dev fuck-up?), but at least we know what to avoid in the future when these mediocre wordhags brag about their amazing writing on a title... so we can avoid it.

Don't be dense.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Edgy Edgy x 1
    ^ Top  
  11. Gordian Nutt Novice

Gordian Nutt
    Your words hurt me so much

:deathclaw:

But I see your point and Obsiidian could fix it by not using or advertising those writers on their games but now I want to know if they are there to avoid them

^ Top  
  12. Infinitron I post news Patron

Infinitron
    Grab the Codex by the pussy Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Kingmaker
  13. Gordian Nutt Novice

Gordian Nutt
    So when 50% is over they will sell for $60 - $60 does not seem like a good idea for the amount of content

Expansion pack for $30 also does not seem like a good idea for amount of content unless the second expansion is very big

Still they give the discount so that is something

^ Top  
  14. Comte Arcane

Comte
    This game is dogshit correct?

Last edited: Oct 24, 2020
    • Yes x 17
    • Slam dunk! x 2
    • Agree x 1
    • Disagree x 1
    • meh x 1
    • No x 1
    • it is a mystery x 1
    ^ Top  
  15. Zboj Lamignat Arcane

Zboj Lamignat
    As always in recent times: fukken lol @ that price. Competition is always good, hurr. Couple of years ago, in times of eveeeeel "monopoly", a game like this would have a base prace up to 50% (probably ~40%) lower and would already be discounted a nice, market standard -75%.

• cool story bro cool story bro x 2
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
    • Yes Yes x 1
    ^ Top  
  16. Yosharian Magister

Yosharian
    I'm considering buying this even though I'm pretty sure it's terrible, can someone persuade me not to buy it?

thanks

• No No x 1
    • Balanced Balanced x 1
    ^ Top  
  17. Rean Instructor Patron

Rean
    Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy
    Buy it when it is £10.

It isn't worth any more than that.

And I used to be an Obsidian fanboy.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Thanks! Thanks! x 1
    ^ Top  
  18. Yosharian Magister

Yosharian
    Never mind I watched the first ten minutes of the game on YouTube and that cured me of any desire to buy the game

• incline incline x 6
    • Cheers!! Cheers!! x 1
    • Edgy Edgy x 1
    ^ Top  
  19. Fedora Master Arcane Patron

Fedora Master
    Dogshit? No.
    Offensively mediocre? Yes.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • meh meh x 1
    ^ Top  
  20. CyberModuled Savant

CyberModuled
    I see the Nusudian audience is already at work downplaying the two star reviews on GOG.

[​IMG]

"Reeeee, it's slightly less shit than the average Bethesda or AAA game so it must get its cock sucked."

The worst part is we're not even in the fucking 7th gen era anymore. WE HAVE ACTUAL INCLINE FOR ONCE IN RPGS.

(oh also, tangentially related, anyone has that post of Avellone discussing the majority of New Vegas' staff being gone from Obsidian, I'd like to have a screencap of it for future reference?)

Last edited: Oct 24, 2020
    • Balanced Balanced x 2
    • Participation Award Participation Award x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • butthurt butthurt x 1
    ^ Top  
  21. Flying Dutchman Educated

Flying Dutchman
    Well, it's not dogshit, but it definitely isn't the "old" Obsidian, which for me is a bad thing.

Mileage may vary, but it just felt like they were playing it safe and the companions were pretty forgettable, and the 1st DLC was a big nope, especially at the price they are selling it as.

^ Top  
  22. Whisper Arcane Vatnik

Whisper
    • incline incline x 1
    ^ Top  
  23. rusty_shackleford Arcane

rusty_shackleford
  24. Kazuki Self-Ejected

Self-Ejected
    Seems people on GoG and Steam still excited of this game.

I can see this game will become a cult classic in ten years whether i like it or not. At that time Triple A RPG become so bad that TOW1 is considered to be a masterpiece.

• Fabulously Optimistic Fabulously Optimistic x 1
    ^ Top  
  25. InD_ImaginE Arcane Patron

InD_ImaginE
    Pathfinder: Kingmaker
    This game is already Obsidian most successful game in the past decade bot sales and reviews wise. 10 years from now we will be using TOW as example of the good old days of RPG.

• Funny x 7
    • Despair x 5
    • No x 2
    • Acknowledge this user's Agenda x 1
    • not sure if serious x 1
    • Disagree x 1
    • incline x 1
    • FAKE NEWS x 1
    • Rage x 1
    • Salute x 1
    • [citation needed] x 1
    • Fabulously Optimistic x 1
    ^ Top  

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.