Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

The Outer Worlds: Spacer's Choice Edition - Obsidian's first-person sci-fi RPG set in a corporate space colony

"One thing we like about it is that it's a dystopia that tries to put this veneer of everything being fine, and that you should just do your job." He refers to the scene where Ida Lowry, mother to protagonist Sam Lowry, goes on eating even after a bomb explodes in a restaurant. "All this terrible stuff was happening and she didn't care," Cain says.
Cain says, when questioned by the rest of the development team on why the AI is so terrible.

Sarkile

Magister
Patron
This stinker is on sale for $30. What's the consensus on it? What price point is it worth getting? 30, 20, less? Are any of the expansions worth a play?

Bad Sector

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
This stinker is on sale for $30. What's the consensus on it? What price point is it worth getting? 30, 20, less? Are any of the expansions worth a play?

I'd wait until the "Non-Mandatory Corporate-Sponsored Bundle" on GOG drops its base price and then wait for at least a -75% sale.

Latelistener

Arcane
I'd wait for some kind of final edition and the 75% off discount. If it happens, it will come out not before the second DLC (scheduled for this year).

There is a also a possibility for it to be in the Humble Choice, since another game Humankind Odyssey is currently there and it's the same publisher.

LudensCogitet

Learned
I actually can't see myself recommending this game if it was free.

I effectively got it for $1 (because of Gamepass on PC) and I had to force myself to finish it.

KeighnMcDeath

RPG Codex Boomer
I still can't download it. I need to steal some wifi but town us closed down. Fuck you covid! Or is covid saving my soul from this game. Its kept CP2077 & Disco & BG3 away as well.

Time to load up Zork 1

Aarwolf

Learned

Nah, not worth it. I played it for $1 on game pass and it was ok for that price, but I wouldn't pay much more (up to $5 I think).

I actually can't see myself recommending this game if it was free.

I effectively got it for $1 (because of Gamepass on PC) and I had to force myself to finish it.
i got it literally for free and i had to force myself not to vomit. stay away from this crap, even cyberspunk is better. enough said.

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron

If you don't expect New Vegas because it's a much smaller game in scope and depth... and if you are okay with it having zero challenge whatsoever after level 3 or so... and if you don't get butthurt over some California politics... then it's worth a playthrough. It's the definition of a mediocre game, but if you love games of its ilk and wish to play a new one because they don't come out every day, you'll probably get some enjoyment out of it. DLC is some of the better stuff in the game.

KVVRR

Learned
BUT also some of the worst as well.

Not saying you're wrong just curious what you're referring to.
The dissonance between player choices and the story is at its lowest on the DLC. Not even the writers could come up with an excuse for your character to choose the "bad" side when someone directly asks you why you would even consider it.

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
The dissonance between player choices and the story is at its lowest on the DLC. Not even the writers could come up with an excuse for your character to choose the "bad" side when someone directly asks you why you would even consider it.

Hmmmm...
I assume the bad ending is giving it to the daughter so she can make moola? I think she offers some nod to morality by saying she can fix the formula and save the barbarians or whatever they're called, while the mother just wants to ignore the problem. I could be misremembering though. I couldn't get the "make them work together" ending as I couldn't pass the skill check.

KVVRR

Learned

Hmmmm...
I assume the bad ending is giving it to the daughter so she can make moola? I think she offers some nod to morality by saying she can fix the formula and save the barbarians or whatever they're called, while the mother just wants to ignore the problem. I could be misremembering though. I couldn't get the "make them work together" ending as I couldn't pass the skill check.
Yes, but it's absolute cope and an obvious deflection to not make it all about her wanting to clean her family's name. The scientist on charge on the project, her own mother, spent YEARS trying to fix the stuff without any success whatsoever, burning through so many people that they resort to dumping the insane ones on other planets (this being the origin to every single maurader/bandit in the game) and resorting to stuff like making cube-shaped meat out of them when this wasn't an option, so really, what could she possibly do to fix it? The game gives you no evidence to suggest this is, again, anything but a foolish belief.
The only reward you get as a player is money, and not even that much of it - I believe that it's about 2000$ more than if you just help the mother or help them work together. And it's not like you actually need the money for anything at all in this game, so it doesn't even work for gameplay porpuses.

All of this is ignoring that helping the daughter means bringing the board on board (heh) and as we all know that's a horrible HORRIBLE idea. It can't end possibly well.

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
Yes, but it's absolute cope and an obvious deflection to not make it all about her wanting to clean her family's name. The scientist on charge on the project, her own mother, spent YEARS trying to fix the stuff without any success whatsoever, burning through so many people that they resort to dumping the insane ones on other planets (this being the origin to every single maurader/bandit in the game) and resorting to stuff like making cube-shaped meat out of them when this wasn't an option, so really, what could she possibly do to fix it? The game gives you no evidence to suggest this is, again, anything but a foolish belief.
The only reward you get as a player is money, and not even that much of it - I believe that it's about 2000$ more than if you just help the mother or help them work together. And it's not like you actually need the money for anything at all in this game, so it doesn't even work for gameplay porpuses.

All of this is ignoring that helping the daughter means bringing the board on board (heh) and as we all know that's a horrible HORRIBLE idea. It can't end possibly well.

Very similar to the main quest having...
reasons to choose The Board like population control and competence, but still obviously writing them as the evil choice anyway.

I still think most of the game's issues come down to scope and budget, but even if that demanded binary choices they could have written them better. I think the normal dialog/email writing is better than some say, as long as you can handle the twee and bubbly brainwashed capitalists satire they're going for, but the overall plot structure and choices are pretty lame.

HoboForEternity

sunset tequila
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
the most memorable thing about this game is doing ellie's quest, and because the audacity of that shitty bitch i shot her parents (it just looks she's just a few inches away from pulling the trigger herself anyway) but she got mad so she shot me and i killed her.

kreight

Lmao why are you using spoiler tags, no one cares.
Right. No one cares but the discussion of this shit game has like more than 200 pages. Literally any game is better than this shit but this one happened to be made by murican obsidian. So here you go.

Self-Ejected

TheDiceMustRoll

Game Analist
Right. No one cares but the discussion of this shit game has like more than 200 pages. Literally any game is better than this shit but this one happened to be made by murican obsidian. So here you go.

Nobody cares about the plot, and if "discussion about why something fucking sucks" counts as something having value, then Kiwifarms thread stars are the ubermensch.

Edit: I had to google this to make sure I meant "good super man"

Last edited:

kangaxx

Arbiter
the most memorable thing about this game is doing ellie's quest, and because the audacity of that shitty bitch i shot her parents (it just looks she's just a few inches away from pulling the trigger herself anyway) but she got mad so she shot me and i killed her.

For me it was prematurely ending Parvati's date on the space ship with a science hammer. The more I look back on that game the worse I think it was.

Bad Sector

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.

I do. I have't played the DLC since, as i mentioned previously, i'm waiting for a dirt cheap price for the entire package (including the upcoming DLC) on GOG which will be in at least a couple of years. So i'd like to not be spoiled until then.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Yes, there's still another DLC coming.

https://www.fool.com/earnings/call-...wo-interactive-ttwo-q3-2021-earnings-call-tr/

On February 10, Private Division and Obsidian Entertainment will release The Outer Worlds: Peril on Gorgon, the first narrative-led expansion for the critically acclaimed darkly humorous sci-fi RPG for the Nintendo Switch. The expansion was released previously for PlayStation 4, Xbox One, and PC and is available individually or at a discount as part of The Outer Worlds Expansion Pass, which will also include The Outer Worlds: Murder on Eridanos, the second expansion set to launch on PlayStation 4, Xbox One and PC this fiscal year, and on Nintendo Switch later in calendar 2021.

Our third-quarter results last year benefited from the launches of Red Dead Redemption 2 on PC and the Outer Worlds.

"This fiscal year" means by the end of March.

Last edited:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom