Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

The Outer Worlds: Spacer's Choice Edition - Obsidian's first-person sci-fi RPG set in a corporate space colony

Alienman

Retro-Fascist
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Codex Year of the Donut Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
My impressions after two-three hours:

It's kinda weird. At times it feels like playing a new New Vegas type of game, other times it just feels fake. Like some details Bethesdas old shit engine have, have not been transferred over. For an example -

1. Stuff are static. You can't move anything. Furniture, bottles, weapons. It's all static.
2. You can't use chairs and such like the AI can.
3. NPCs, while they do move about and do some stuff they feel even more robotic than in Bethesdas engine. At least in that one you get to see dudes cleaning something, drinking, here one of the first NPCs I met in the city were just staring into a wall, and when I was done talking to him he continued to do so.
4. Modern UI crap, like hit markers and no way to remove it.

Otherwise. The whole corporate way of living thing that have taken over as primary culture is intriguing, but for some reason I'm not feeling it 100% like how Fallout and other games grips you from the start. Two or three hours in I'm just not convinced this being a dystopian nightmare, as it should be. They have a damn leprosy house in the middle of town that the sick & dying have to use with no help from outside so I should feel something here, but it's all just feels too zany.

And well, Supernova difficulty is broken, at least when it comes to companions. As soon as I met a harder group of enemies my suicidal partner rushed in and got gunned down in seconds. And that was it. She is dead. I guess the AI got transferred over when I think about it. The damage felt all right otherwise though, bullets did hurt and I was forced to take over instead of just exchanging shots until one of us dropped dead due to lack of health pool. Just with companions it seems real messy, especially with the whole save thing too since you can't save before any tough encounters.

Just have to mention the performance too. Game looks good I think, except some effects, and it runs really well. BUT! I get these really annoying stutters when entering areas, and sometimes just moving about. My guess it's loading in stuff but these stutters ruin the otherwise smooth goings, and changing the settings doesn't seem to do anything. The game is installed on a SSD and I got 6 gig of VRAM so that shouldn't be an issue...

Oracsbox

Fuck I can't get over how shit the graphics look..yes I know that's not the most important thing but ...

The constant attempts at humour are starting to irritate and why do all the women not only look ugly as fuck but all speak in gruff bull dyke.

playing as an unpleasant Bastard is proving to be an easy option as I hate everyone.

Dishonoredbr

Liturgist
Just with companions it seems real messy, especially with the whole save thing too since you can't save before any tough encounters.

Idk if it's useful for you.. But watching Cohh's stream , companions were fragile af without heavy armor and low inspiration also you need to play with their behaviour settings and even Micro them sometimes.

Alienman

Retro-Fascist
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Codex Year of the Donut Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Just with companions it seems real messy, especially with the whole save thing too since you can't save before any tough encounters.

Idk if it's useful for you.. But watching Cohh's stream , companions were fragile af without heavy armor and low inspiration also you need to play with their behaviour settings and even Micro them sometimes.

I see, not sure if I'm in the mood of baby sitting NPCs during fire fights. I pumped a ton into leadership to avoid it :)

Think I will go down to hard. I kinda like the survival aspect, as a concept at least. It seems the need system is a bit too aggressive. My guy is already super tired and he is constantly thirsty.

Skdursh

Savant
it's so weird how everyone in video games happen to have mental disorders that affect .1% of the population but ok

Yes and 1/2 of the population is black, and white men are fumbling buffoons and black men are all rocket scientists if you watch TV. So now games (((media))) has simply followed suit w/ the poison that has been pouring out of TV and movies for a good while now. #1 reason to pirate this game IMHO, this only stops when you monetarily punish the globohomo agenda pushers. They will never stop otherwise.

This, but unironically.

Drakortha

Liturgist
kAcdylI.png

oops. got my first companion killed in battle. supernova diffculty, too. so she ain't coming back.

rip Parvati, or whatever your name was.

Oracsbox

I beginning to think they borrowed Emil Pagliarulo from Bethesda to write some of this

Insane Security guard Ludwig hides his best weapon (weapon mod) in a toilet at the local bar because of imagined mechanical invasion..ha ha ha..fuck off

Oracsbox

I like the loading screen artwork

Edit

Bits of it anyway

Last edited by a moderator:

Au Ellai

Educated
Played for a couple hours, game fuckin' sucks. There's not a single aspect of the game that another game doesn't do 10x better. For whatever reason you're wanting to pick up the game: world setting, exploration, combat, dialogue, etc, there's a thousand better options out there. Game's a perfect example of "a little bit of everything isn't much of anything." It tries to be a whole rpg experience without excelling in any particular area and the whole experience suffers and everything about the game feels passable at best, like the minimum possible effort was put into every aspect of the development cycle. Also holy shit every single woman including any possible attempts you may make at a female character are ugly af.

Oracsbox

Some character or other opening conversation "You're not in uniform"
Others "you be not from this ere' parts". I'm paraphrasing

Me.. standing there in full corporate guard uniform !

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom