Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

The Outer Worlds: Spacer's Choice Edition - Obsidian's first-person sci-fi RPG set in a corporate space colony

cvv

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
Infinitron never missing a chance to signal how juvenile, vulgar and altogether unsophisticated it is to point out there's a culture war raging out there.

You're such a fool Infi.

KVVRR

Learned
So do you have to finish (or at least get halfway through) the main game in order to play these DLCs? I played it when it released on the Xbox game pass and uninstalled once my trail had expired, I doubt my saves are in the cloud and I really don't want to play it again.

Xeon

Augur
Yeah, same. If this DLC is playable whenever then I might give this a try eventually but if I have to replay the game then I am out.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Official release:

So do you have to finish (or at least get halfway through) the main game in order to play these DLCs? I played it when it released on the Xbox game pass and uninstalled once my trail had expired, I doubt my saves are in the cloud and I really don't want to play it again.

You have to get to Monarch, iirc.

Last edited:

Stavrophore

Most trustworthy slavic man
Patron
Vatnik
Strap Yourselves In
I've finished the game an hour ago. Im rating it 5/10. Why? Well the game had no strongpoint that could stand out from the other stuff. The best word to describe the game: mediocre. Everything is mediocre. The start of the game is pretty kickass and promising, i was actually curious about the motives behind the scientist action. But when you discover that motive -and that's like at 1/3 of the game, the game loses any mystery. Beside that, since that point you will get tired of the monotone theme of the game. Ebul corporation vs freedom fighters. It's extremely one dimensional, on one hand you have extremely utilitarian, profit oriented society, on the other hand you have a band of rabble dreaming of better life being basically a commune supported only by a good will of their participants, no hard rules, everyone can join/move out. Both attitudes are too extreme, corporate basically slave people away, treating them like tools/resource, but on the other hand you have anarchists who think living in such a harsh desolate place, can be done without authority, without allocating resources where they can be best utilized. Sadly the game panders to the "freedom fighters" narrative by its writing, denouncing hierarchy, order, religion, profit in the process , albeit you can side with corporation. If you are left leaning with your political sympathies, the game will be just right for you.

Characters are so one dimensional, there's a lot of forced SJW crap, matriarchy. Game feels extremely sterile, suited for young audience. There's not much philosophy or well though motives of characters, the premises are very basic.I couldn't take seriously the setting after the beginning. I've stopped paying attention to quest dialogues, computers, notes and anything that is readable after passing half of the game. Ive just skimmed through text to get it done, and finally move into final quest. The most memorable character was actually the cliched "snug AI" called ADA. Couldn't stand women companions, Felix was ok, the typical retard that believes in freedom and anarchy, Max was kinda based, but his quest was horrible. The indian colony governor was kinda memorable, because of his bureaucratic obsession. For god sake, give us people with interesting traits! Believable! Don't fear making them bigoted, racist, homophobic, ableist, hateful, pompous, too eloquent to interact with lesser beings, people who completely crush the narrative, destroy naivety, make you STOP AND THINK!!!, even if you thought the choice was evil, they can explain it, or their attitudes! This is what makes interesting characters! Not a "i wanna help the world, and i have no backstory, no motives, no philosophical thought behind my desires, im just a big baby that want everyone to hug themselves and resolve all problems!, but have no idea how to do this, and crumble at the very first conflict". These characters might be good for some tranny games, where you live in a big safe space hugbox, but not for a fully fledged mature RPG!

Art direction is kinda funky, the game tryhard on retrofuturism married with steampunk, but some of it looks out of place, mainly armors, weapons, high tech stuff. The assets in the game -models, textures and overall art is uneven, in one time you will be amazed by the quality of thing you look at, bewildered by the consistency of art deco, and other time, the colonies, houses will look like assets pulled straight from Unity shop, with no leading style. Overall the outside world looked worst, while inside of the cities had best consistency. Most female characters in the game look like transvestites, faces are very similar for named NPC. What's interesting there's more variety for unnamed NPCs xD

Gameplay is just crap. It's a shooter with gimped bullet time, that is pretty much worthless since after few shots it disable itself. You can only dodge, which is mostly useless. There's no character progression beside, pumping skills into usual things: hacking, science, persuasion, lockpick, the rest is useless, combat skills and leadership skills are useless. Only pump those that are needed for skillchecks. You will have plenty of skills to distribute, and can improve this with companions and armor upgrades. Even on Hard the combat was utterly easy and i had 50k credits at the end, 2k ammo for each weapon,150+ stimpacks, and never had to buy anything from the shop. The game is extreme popamole without any mechanics, beside shoot, shoot and shoot. No abilities, no enemies that are clever with skills.
The progression is kinda weird, since you go from pioneer to monarch, and in an instant enemies are two times harder, and you get two times better weapons. There's no inbetween, it feels gated, not fluid.

Weapon customization and armor is...well not satisfactory. You can basically change weapon damage, slap scope, and some barrel that does mostly nothing. Only good armor upgrades are stat buffs. Itemization is MMO tier, where you get the same items but with MK2 suffix, and you can upgrade them to...add more damage. Yay add damage for money! Unique weapons are okay, but will get surpassed in the end, unless you pay lots of money to upgrade them, and the cost scales geometrically, so you better find a weapon that is few levels below your, and then upgrade it 7-8 times, before cost is too big. Though money is useless so you can still dump it. Even skyrim has much better itemization and upgrades xD Perks are soulless, and mostly absolute crap, i guess because the game is already extremely easy. Comparing it to Underrail which i've played recently is a complete joke. There's no crafting, no additional mechanics beside that simple workbench. Compared to KCD its...barebones.

About the ending. It's your typical fallout/RPG ending with slides and narrator describing what your actions did. I personally dislike such endings, since i would much rather see the fruits of my action ingame, while the story unfold, but some epilogue is necessary. There are few endings possible, i guess if you are the kind of person who spends 30hours to have satisfaction from reading few lines of epilogue that were changed, then i guess its your kind of game. I personally value gameplay more, so i don't plan to replay this game to see few different lines in the end, so i went to youtube to watch it.
There's also big cliffhanger, concering the contact with earth. The ending because of this is not satisfying, it feels like they've planned second game, or DLC. You will never know if the earth council will slap you for your doings and basically hijacking their colony.

Performance of the game[ive played on Fitgirl repack from 26 october 2019] is ok, like 100-120 FPS on 1080p, but there's horrible stuttering when loading new locations or sometimes when moving camera. Sometimes there's also microstutter every 5 seconds. Maybe patches improve that, but im not going to buy the game to check that. I wish the game had more defined/sharpened look, because it has this kinda "vaseline" smear to everything. I guess its because of consoles, you can use higher 3D scaling, but it doesn't help with some models/textures.

TLDR: It's an ARPG for mass modern juvenile audience. For combatfags -absolutely avoid. For storyfag -buy it when its on sale, and if you dont have backlog of better games to play.

Last edited:

soulburner

Cipher
The best and most memorable thing about this game is the audio. The music was alright, but I will forever remember some of the sounds, like selling junk, the Spacer's Joice jingles and pretty alright sounding guns.

I'll check the DLC out if it becomes available on GamePass.

KVVRR

Learned
The best and most memorable thing about this game is the audio. The music was alright, but I will forever remember some of the sounds, like selling junk, the Spacer's Joice jingles and pretty alright sounding guns.

I'll check the DLC out if it becomes available on GamePass.

The sound you hear every time you arrive at the abandoned colony in Monarch is actually great. I thought it was the wildlife the first few times I went in there and only after searching the town clear I realized it was the town's gates malfunctioning.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
Oh wow, a new Outer Worlds DLC! Can't wait to buy and play this!

Said noone ever.

Woe just said exactly that though.

Why does everyone in this game look so fucking gay? I'm not even sure whether that's supposed to be a man or a woman.

The project director looks like this
4cCqVvFl_400x400.jpg

Though I actually like the haircut of the person in the thumbnail. Looks a bit Hard Nova, though HN gal has a prettier face.
25255_front.jpg

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
That's a pretty standard look for any female NPC in The Outer Worlds, don't blame Carrie.

Nano

Arcane
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy Strap Yourselves In
I thought Carrie has shoulder-length hair now. Did she cut it again?

Jedi Exile

Arcanum
Patron
Project: Eternity Shadorwun: Hong Kong
Does it add something new to the gameplay as it was with Fallout: New Vegas DLCs, or it is just more of the same?

Spectacle

Arcane
Patron
That's a pretty standard look for any female NPC in The Outer Worlds, don't blame Carrie.
Yeah, blame Obsidian's character artists who couldn't be assed to model animated hair. I'm assuming that's the reason why every character has short hair and are apparently using more hair gel than a 90's boy band.

Avarize

Magister
Yeah, blame Obsidian's character artists who couldn't be assed to model animated hair. I'm assuming that's the reason why every character has short hair and are apparently using more hair gel than a 90's boy band.
The faces are aggressively plain too though.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom