Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

The Outer Worlds: Spacer's Choice Edition - Obsidian's first-person sci-fi RPG set in a corporate space colony

Immortal

Arcane
In My Safe Space
God, this game is fucking terrible.

This is definitely Obsidians worst game yet. They've been hemorrhaging talent ever since F:NV.

I think I have to agree..
I can't play this game past a few hours no matter how hard I try. This is probably their worst game ever and I'm including the all inclusive "their" so that includes all Black Isle / Troika titles as well.

I expected big things from Leonard and Tim..

:meh:

Leonard has spent his last how many years eroding at blizzard writing fan-fic tier lore for Diablo lll and Tim Cain's been circling the drain on Wildstar.
I think if "Industry Veteran" kickstarters have taught us anything.. Expecting this is going to lead to disappointment.

cvv

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
This thread seems to be full of the kind of people who think that:

- the problem with the nuGhostbusters was bad jokes
- the problem with The Last Jedi was Leia's spaceflight
- the problem with Star Trek: Picard was bad acting
- the problem with The Last of Us 2 was bad pacing
- the problem with The Outer Worlds was boring itemization

What's next? The problem with Das Kapital are typos?

Kev Inkline

Arcane
Patron
A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
In terms of what once was popular music, we can conclude that Obsidian is not Alice in Chains with a new lead singer, but rather a Dream Theater with only LaBrie remaining, every other musician replaced by a fellow from the local Karaoke bar.

Self-Ejected

Thac0

Time Mage
Patron
I'm very into cock and ball torture

Pillars at least sold well. Wether it was good is a different question.

In terms of what once was popular music, we can conclude that Obsidian is not Alice in Chains with a new lead singer, but rather a Dream Theater with only LaBrie remaining, every other musician replaced by a fellow from the local Karaoke bar.

They are like Sonata Arctica for me. The were never top of the genre, but comfortably in the upper half. After time and lineup changes they no longer had the talent to hold that level, and tried to cling to their old formula, producing a slow and dreadfull decline by worse and worse games/albums. Now they swapped for a new style, which seems to be gaining new fans aswell, but is no longer for me and less artistically valuable in my eyes. I can still listen to an album on the side for the traces that remain, sometimes there is even a song that slaps(Fly, Navigate, Communicate and Tyranny for me), but I am not gonna buy an album/game on release.

Kev Inkline

Arcane
Patron
A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
This thread seems to be full of the kind of people who think that:

- the problem with the nuGhostbusters was bad jokes
- the problem with The Last Jedi was Leia's spaceflight
- the problem with Star Trek: Picard was bad acting
- the problem with The Last of Us 2 was bad pacing
- the problem with The Outer Worlds was boring itemization

What's next? The problem with Das Kapital are typos?
Yeah, clearly I mentioned only itemization.
If you are quoting me, that is.

I could put it forth differently: the problem was everything except the music.

Self-Ejected

Thac0

Time Mage
Patron

Did this game flop in sales? I haven't kept up with the thread.
I thought New Vegas in Space would of done well even if the trailers completely exposed how shallow of a game it was.

No this sold incredibly well for budget and game length. This massive success after a bad streak means that Obsidian will never touch an isometric rpg again, hence they are dead for me.

Immortal

Arcane
In My Safe Space

Did this game flop in sales? I haven't kept up with the thread.
I thought New Vegas in Space would of done well even if the trailers completely exposed how shallow of a game it was.

No this sold incredibly well for budget and game length. This massive success after a bad streak means that Obsidian will never touch an isometric rpg again, hence they are dead for me.

Ehh.. I have a feeling "Outerworld 2 : Bugaloo" will not sell as well unless they clearly articulate that it's "Bigger, Better". Even if it has a larger budget and is objectively better quality.

My fee-fee's tell me fanboys really did expect Spaceout: New Vegas and I would bet it made a large chunk of it's money on pre-order hype and now feels largely forgotten like the mediocre shit it was.
I could be wrong though.

Self-Ejected

Thac0

Time Mage
Patron
Ehh.. I have a feeling "Outerworld 2 : Bugaloo" will not sell as well unless they clearly articulate that it's "Bigger, Better". Even if it has a larger budget and is objectively better quality.

My fee-fee's tell me fanboys really did expect Spaceout: New Vegas and I would bet it made a large chunk of it's money on pre-order hype and now feels largely forgotten like the mediocre shit it was.
I could be wrong though.

You underestimate the popamole here. Outer Worlds was incredibly well received by the majority of the market. It has straight up triple sales and internet presence in followers on all platforms. Even if they have the usual half the sales that sequels that dont surpass the original get it is more profitable than Pillars, their best selling CRPG.

Immortal

Arcane
In My Safe Space

I could be wrong though.

You underestimate the popamole here. Outer Worlds was incredibly well received by the majority of the market. It has straight up triple sales and internet presence in followers on all platforms. Even if they have the usual half the sales that sequels that dont surpass the original get it is more profitable than Pillars, their best selling CRPG.

Will have to wait and see, I'm curious how the DLC does and how well the next one sells. I can see it go both ways.

But man this game was a turd.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Is that a new jingle?

I have a feeling that after waiting so long we're going to get more than just some piecemeal DLC. Like maybe some sort of gameplay overhaul.

Dishonoredbr

Liturgist
Let's hope they heard the feedback adress in this DLC.

And generaly , even Obsidian's weaker games have quite good dlc. POE1 was meh to me but the White March dlc was quite better.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Ethics Gradient from the Obsidian forums comes through again: https://forums.obsidian.net/topic/115456-dlc-announcement-imminent/?tab=comments#comment-2214587

There's no visible countdown, but the following images will be on rotation until July 23rd at 9 am... which is the scheduled start of the Xbox Games Showcase.

P6ZDysh.png

As noted earlier by LESS T_T, INX = Indiana Expansion.

Last edited:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom