Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Preview The Outer Worlds Tokyo Game Show 2019 Gameplay Footage

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Tags: Obsidian Entertainment; The Outer Worlds

I thought PAX West might be the last time we see The Outer Worlds in action before its release, but it turns out there were still a few gaming events left to promote it at. This weekend Obsidian took the game to Japan for the annual Tokyo Game Show convention. Most of the gameplay reels that have come out of that are using a localized version, but there were two Western outlets in attendance who played the game in English - Gamereactor and VGC. Only VGC uploaded their footage to YouTube, so that's what I'll post here. It's 40 minutes of gameplay from one of the game's early areas, specifically the point where the player character first finds his ship, The Unreliable. Heading over to the nearby town of Edgewater to find a new power regulator for the ship, the player becomes involved in a dispute between the mayor and a group of deserters who have occupied a botanical garden in the adjacent wilderness.

The game looks pretty much final now, some janky enemy AI aside. Even though it's not an open world game per se, the areas look nice and spacious. Too bad we don't get to see the end of that quest, though.

Gwendo

Augur
Not a good sign, this close to release and in an official demo to be this buggy mess and unpolished.

Nifft Batuff

Prophet
I have a strange feeling about this...

943.jpg

Drowed

Arcane
They tried so hard to make a game like Fallout New Vegas that they ended up making a game that seems to be using Bethesda's buggy engine. That's real dedication.

Elhoim

Iron Tower Studio
Developer
About loading times, remember this video is from the PS4. The "sliding" it's just the shitty controller movement. But yeah, it's definitely a bit janky.

FeelTheRads

Arcane
They tried so hard to make a game like Fallout New Vegas that they ended up making a game that seems to be using Bethesda's buggy engine. That's real dedication.
Makes you wonder if with NV it was just the engine or simply Obsidian's incompetence.

It was both.

My personal favorite moments are around 7:20 when the player hears someone talking to him and expertly looks everywhere except the right direction, then walks past the supposedly impossible to miss NPC in front of the town gates, then around 19:30 where they're whispering and sneaking so they won't alert the marauder, after exploding every single mine in the minefield 10 meters away.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom