Official RPG Codex Discord Server

1. Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.
    Dismiss Notice

Tex Murphy The Pandora Directive 25th Anniversary remaster

Discussion in 'Adventure Gaming' started by Darkozric, May 11, 2021.

1. Darkozric Learned

Darkozric
    The Pandora Directive Remaster is in the works.

https://bigfinishgames.com/may-2021-update/

Last edited: May 11, 2021
    • Brofist x 8
    • incline x 3
    • Informative x 3
    • Excited! x 2
    • Yes x 1
    • Interesting x 1
    ^ Top  
  2. Anthedon Arcane Patron

Anthedon
    Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
    Those stills from the remastered video look impressive.

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  3. Infinitron I post news Patron

Infinitron
    RPG Wokedex Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Kingmaker

https://bigfinishgames.com/adrian-carr-talks-about-pd25/

• Brofist Brofist x 3
    • Informative Informative x 2
    ^ Top  
  4. Infinitron I post news Patron

Infinitron
    RPG Wokedex Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Kingmaker

https://bigfinishgames.com/tex-murphy-and-the-raiders-of-the-lost-tapes/

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    • Interesting Interesting x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
    ^ Top  
  5. RobotSquirrel Learned

RobotSquirrel
    I'm glad they're getting remastered and its good that Matt's handling it he's upscaled the on disc videos in the past. Having the original tapes would be godly.
    I wonder if they have any of the Martian Memorandum footage still? that game is in desperate need of update.

• Fabulously Optimistic Fabulously Optimistic x 1
    ^ Top  
  6. Ludwig von Eisenthal Augur

Ludwig von Eisenthal
    That's great news. Pandora Directive is the finest part in the series in my opinion. Great storyline, great pacing. I loved the really creepy undertones it had. And this strange sound arrangement from the chapter transitions always gave me shivers, I don't even know why exactly. Wonderful game, that's a remaster I approve of.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  7. RobotSquirrel Learned

RobotSquirrel
    the transition where Tex wakes up in Roswell still to this day scares the hell out of me. Roswell has some of the best horror atmosphere I've seen in a game. That real sense of pending doom is very apparent. Same goes with Autotech it just has such great tension through the whole game. But to be fair so did UAKM it just managed to retain a lot more of the comedy aspects, in Pandora it felt very out of place because of how serious it was being played. UAKM remains comedy all the way through the ending where Tex essentially gets screwed over was hilarious because it goes against what you'd expect to happen. Whereas Pandora does the opposite and is worse for it (referring to the Chelsea ending. Its messed up the Holodate ending is canon but its messed up its the least weirdest ending).

• Agree Agree x 2
    ^ Top  
  8. Infinitron I post news Patron

Infinitron
    I didn't like how The Pandora Directive basically ignored the series' post-nuclear war future setting. It really wanted to be an X-Files plot arc set in the 1990s.

^ Top  
  9. ADULF HITLOR FAN KLUB Learned

ADULF HITLOR FAN KLUB
    Fantastic. The Pandora Directive is the finest game in the series. :)

Show Spoiler
    :discohitler:

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  10. RobotSquirrel Learned

RobotSquirrel
    ironic as I just finished the Xfiles Game again recently and got that exact vibe from Pandora. You're very right.

^ Top  
  11. Infinitron I post news Patron

Infinitron
    https://bigfinishgames.com/upscale-progress-music-remastering-and-a-new-update-from-adrian-carr/

• Brofist Brofist x 3
    • Thanks! Thanks! x 1
    • Shit Shit x 1
    ^ Top  
  12. ADULF HITLOR FAN KLUB Learned

ADULF HITLOR FAN KLUB
    Looks great, but too bad all of the original content is in 4:3

^ Top  
  13. Infinitron I post news Patron

Infinitron

https://bigfinishgames.com/a-brief-insight-into-the-remastering-of-level-design/

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  14. Hellion Arcane

Hellion

• Brofist Brofist x 4
    • Excited! Excited! x 1
    ^ Top  
  15. Boleskine Arcane

Boleskine
    Haven't watched this yet but the developer also talks a bit about why The Poisoned Pawn was canceled.

• Brofist Brofist x 2
    ^ Top  
  16. Infinitron I post news Patron

Infinitron
    Last edited: Jul 20, 2021
    • Brofist Brofist x 4
    ^ Top  
  17. ADULF HITLOR FAN KLUB Learned

ADULF HITLOR FAN KLUB
    Looks great, but the video is a bit blurry and should probably be sharpened with a filter.

^ Top  
  18. Neuromancer Learned

Neuromancer
    They already did that.
    The original video was of low quality compared to today's standard with a lot of compression artifacts.

This is probably the best you can get from the original video material.

^ Top  
  19. JackOfOwls Prophet

JackOfOwls
    I remember playing Mean Streets on my C64 around the time it was first released. One of my favorite games on the C64 at the time, and probably the very first graphic adventure game I had played. I couldn't get into its immediate followup Martian Memorandum however since I couldn't stand the voice actor who did the early "FMV" french guy and there was no way to escape that, even with the floppy disk version. The game itself probably didn't grab me much either for whatever reason. But I heard The Pandora Directive was the best in the series - and one of the best FMV games in general - so I might check it out someday.

• Brofist Brofist x 2
    ^ Top  
  20. bertram_tung Arcane Patron

bertram_tung
    Insert Title Here
    UAKM & Pandora Directive were cool because you could walk around the game world and actually see/interact with other characters. Overseer and Tesla Effect both lacked this feature and as a result both game worlds felt empty and lonely. For some reason it doesn't seem like a common complaint, but it really bothered me. I have my doubts they will make a faithful remake of Pandora given their last two games.

^ Top  
  21. FuckLiefeldGiveMeChew Educated

FuckLiefeldGiveMeChew
    This would be nice, as Tex Murphy is one of my favorite adventure games, I love all of it. Pandora Directive is the best of the series and I would love to have a physical release of the F.M.V. games, but also of the old games. I would love a remaster of the old games because as much as I love them they do have problems, like the annoying flying and awful combat in Mean Streets and the dead ends in Martian Memorandum which could be fixed in order to make the games perfect.

^ Top  
  22. Infinitron I post news Patron

Infinitron

https://bigfinishgames.com/re-creating-the-classic-brick-by-brick/

• Brofist Brofist x 7
    • Excited! Excited! x 1
    ^ Top  

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.