Official RPG Codex Discord Server

1. Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.
    Dismiss Notice

The PS5 and Xbox 2 thread - it's happening

Discussion in 'General Gaming' started by Makabb, Mar 22, 2018.

1. Morgoth Arcane Patron

Morgoth
    Good. A 12TF baseline would make budgets explode and turn games into 500GB sized assembly line "products".

Oh wait.

• Makes you think... Makes you think... x 1
    ^ Top  
  2. mk0 Educated

mk0
    This is the end of physical games, isn't it?
    :despair:

• Despair Despair x 1
    • it is a mystery it is a mystery x 1
    • Old Old x 1
    ^ Top  
  3. taxalot I'm a spicy fellow. Patron

taxalot
    Codex 2013 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015
    Store torrent downloads on External HDDs.
    That's physical.

^ Top  
  4. Markman da Blitz master Patron

Markman
    Serpent in the Staglands Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong
    Lots of news today about Xbox.
    All access subscription coming to 12 countries so poorfags can get a taste of next gen.
    https://news.xbox.com/en-us/2020/09/09/xbox-all-access-expands-to-12-countries-this-holiday/

Also price in Sweden for Series S is 3595 SEK with taxes and VAT.
    Series X is 5695 SEK.

Cheaper than I thought, imo. Was thinking about 6500-7000 SEK range.

^ Top  
  5. DalekFlay Arcane Patron

DalekFlay
    Lots of minimum wage workers gonna get that $30 a month deal going and then fall back on payments and have shit credit for years as a result.

^ Top  
  6. mk0 Educated

mk0
    • retadred retadred x 5
    • decline decline x 1
    • Heresy Heresy x 1
    ^ Top  
  7. DalekFlay Arcane Patron

DalekFlay
    3070 is the same price and will blow it away. Unless you've got an ancient processor I don't see why you'd make that decision. Though to be fair I don't understand being a PC guy and then switching to a closed platform without mouse aim either.

• Agree Agree x 2
    ^ Top  
  8. Gerrard Arcane

Gerrard
    You also need a 4K/HDR/120Hz TV. That's $1000+

• Racist Racist x 1
    • /facepalm/ /facepalm/ x 1
    • WTF am I reading WTF am I reading x 1
    • what? what? x 1
    ^ Top  
  9. mk0 Educated

mk0
    You're just trolling me now, I'm not spending 1k on an equivalent PC when I can get a console that's just as good for half the cost which comes with a disc drive too, the choice is almost too easy. I'm fine with keeping my current PC for old games and emulation, the PC DIY market can go fuck itself with current prices.

Last edited: Sep 9, 2020
    • retadred retadred x 4
    • cool story bro cool story bro x 1
    • cuck cuck x 1
    ^ Top  
  10. DalekFlay Arcane Patron

DalekFlay
    I guess that's a yes on the "ancient processor" question?

Anyway, I get why consoles are popular and why console gamers like new machines, but... I'm a PC gamer. I play PC focused games like shooters, Western RPGs and adventure games. If I somehow fell behind and could not upgrade my PC, I would just play older titles until I could. I cannot fathom switching from PC gaming to Xbox and using a controller to play games like Cyberpunk and Doom Eternal, never mind stuff like Wateland 3, but that's me. Obviously you should do you.

• Agree Agree x 1
    ^ Top  
  11. Pegultagol Erudite

Pegultagol
    I wonder if Sony will now match Series X prices...pretty sure they will. Or if they're delusional, will price it $50 higher.

And I see how Series X is going to be attractive to a lot of people, $499 honestly gets a lot of components like similar level CPU to 3700K, RDNA2 with Dx12 level improvements...that SSD alone might be worth more than $100. And added to that $499 is actually $599 in Canadian rubles, which is quite a bargain since current conversion rates peg it at $650...with 3070 now being estimated at upwards of $700 to 800 here, it's a difference that can't go unnoticed. I already pay like $100 per month for telecom, so I think I can take another $20 in Ultimate pass fees that's going to get every MS published titles from day one, get backward compatibility, xCloud, etc.

For PC, I really have no issue playing at upsampled 1080 on 1440p monitor, with some sharpening applied, and 3 year old RX 580 can run games like Wasteland 3 (or Unity derived games that somehow are in majority of PC titles I play) pretty well. I don't see the reason to upgrade now, at least until the consoles hit their stride and make most of the new graphical features that get filtered down to us plebs.

^ Top  
  12. Markman da Blitz master Patron

Markman
    Serpent in the Staglands Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong

• Nuke it from orbit Nuke it from orbit x 1
    ^ Top  
  13. mk0 Educated

mk0
    Series S is $299 and it comes with a 8c/16t zen 2 cpu clocked at 3.4Ghz/3.6Ghz(no smt). Literally anything that's not a 9900K, 3700X or better is now less than potato tier.
    Money is not the issue here, value is.
    If the game in question is designed around a mouse heavy UI, then sure there's no way around that. However I don't see what the problem with using a controller is, I play all my PC games on controller if I can, even FPS games. When I was younger I clocked my fair share of hours on competitive shooters with M/KB, the appeal of a more precise method of input pales in comparison to being able to lean back on my chair and play with a controller, it's also more fun compared to wrecking a game when the controls are second nature to you. Then again I'm one of those weirdos that prefer clunkier control schemes from older games, so whatever.

Last edited: Sep 9, 2020
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • FAKE NEWS FAKE NEWS x 1
    • cool story bro cool story bro x 1
    • sheeple sheeple x 1
    ^ Top  
  14. Morgoth Arcane Patron

Morgoth
    https://news.xbox.com/en-us/2020/09/09/introducing-xbox-series-s/

TL;DR

Same shit as XSX, but rendering at lower resolutions.

^ Top  
  15. Ebonsword Arcane

Ebonsword

What games will the Xbox Series X have, though? That's the big question. I own an original Xbox and an Xbox 360, but I never bought an Xbox One because there didn't seem to be a single exclusive worth owning.

^ Top  
  16. Morgoth Arcane Patron

Morgoth
    Microsoft cares more about having a steady income stream via Gamepass. Putting out consoles merely serves to facilitate this goal.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Yes Yes x 1
    ^ Top  
  17. If you want exclusives, you buy a PC.
    People buy consoles for the convenience.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • WTF am I reading WTF am I reading x 1
    • retadred retadred x 1
    ^ Top  
  18. Kem0sabe Arcane

Kem0sabe
    True, especially when it comes to franchises like sports and CoD. That being said, exclusives also play a big part, xbox was built by Halo, and with this new generation sony is arriving with a bunch of ip's that pull big numbers.

^ Top  
  19. Gerrard Arcane

Gerrard
    DalekFlay Volrath
    How do you plan on playing an Xbox without a TV? And you need one with those features to be able to use them.

^ Top  
  20. fizzelopeguss Arcane

fizzelopeguss
    3070 with its pathetic 8gig will be a terrible buy for 500 notes as well.

Amd 4600s need to be 8 core minimum otherwise they can fuck off.

I'm looking at a grand to replace my vega and cpu if prices continue to be shit.

3070 ti another year away probably, so If big navi and ryzen deliver console rape, I'll consider it.

I dont give a fuck about server browsers riddled with cheating cunts and hacks, mkb or 144 gayboyhertz anymore. I care about 4k and a solid HDR implementation that works and is guaranteed everytime.

I love PCs, but you're right, the value is a pisstake these days.

• Salute Salute x 1
    ^ Top  
  21. DalekFlay Arcane Patron

DalekFlay
    I guess I shouldn't be surprised the console war thread is filled with console gamers.

^ Top  
  22. mk0 Educated

mk0
    I didn't spend all this time and effort learning about PC hardware and planning builds just to get ripped off by overpriced hardware. I can understand paying a $200-$300 premium for individual components, but 2X the price of a console is bullshit.

I'd rather be an informed console pleb who knows he's getting the best deal than an ignorant pc fanboy who can't read a spec sheet, so by all means smash that retard button, as long as I'm right I don't give a shit.

• retadred x 5
    • Agree x 2
    • hopw roewur ne x 1
    • cool story bro x 1
    • Sweat gathers upon my brow, let me dab it x 1
    ^ Top  
  23. DalekFlay Arcane Patron

DalekFlay
    It's not really about being "right." If you prefer playing everything with a controller and don't think PC hardware is worth paying anything extra for then you're a console gamer. Just own that, it's no big deal. My original reply was to the idea of a PC gamer getting an Xbox instead because it's only $499, but you're not a PC gamer so that explains that and it's all irrelevant.

^ Top  
  24. soulburner Arbiter

soulburner
    I never thought a PC vs console war is coming back. The discussion is pointless. It's not all about the money, it's about different tastes, different ways of playing, different games and different non-game related tasks one can do on both device types. Are modern GPUs too pricey? Sure. Without proper competition we will have to live with it - let's hope AMD can compete with Nvidia's Ampere and if Intel becomes competetive and relevant in the GPU world... we might have some normality back.

Deciding to drop PC gaming and go console is not a bad thing in any way. It's a matter of preference, even if the main reason to switch stems from cost.

• retadred retadred x 1
    • Balanced Balanced x 1
    ^ Top  
  25. Drakortha Arbiter

Drakortha
    But all the games are still shit..

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Brofist Brofist x 2
    • Prestigious Prestigious x 1
    • Salute Salute x 1
    ^ Top  

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.