Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

The PS5 and Xbox 2 thread - it's happening

TemplarGR

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck Bethestard
I would prefer to upgrade my gaming PC to some sweet sweet Ryzen 5XXX series cpu and a prestigious Navi 2 gpu instead. Consoles are for fags.

Hobo Elf

Arcane
My question is why is it getting so much attention this time? I think it's 'cause there ain't no real next gen games as said above.
There were rumors floating that the PS5 was gonna be hugely backwards comp. Think Sony even filed a patent for a device that played all/most previous gen games, which was responsible for these rumors. A network of bloggers latched on to this non-story and spent months building up a false expectation that left people disappointed.

Hobo Elf

Arcane

TemplarGR

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck Bethestard

While this video could be a fake, it seems natural to me for the new consoles to have overheating issues. They are tiny relative to the hardware they are packing. For the same hardware on PC you need a huge case, lots of fans everywhere, etc. And it is not a single SoC....

DJOGamer PT

Arcane
1605094164638.png

1605094481796.jpg

Why is there smoke coming out of your Xbox Seymour?

64dd2903b7aa78ee-600x338.jpg

Oh... That isn't smoke. It's Steam! From the Steam integration we're adding!

I would prefer to upgrade my gaming PC to some sweet sweet Ryzen 5XXX series cpu and a prestigious Navi 2 gpu instead. Consoles are for fags.
Consoles are indeed for fags, but this comparison makes no sense. You'd spend 50% more than the price of a PS5 to buy just the videocard (RX6800/RTX3080 - IF you could even find one), or the price of a PS5 to get a midrange card (RX6700/RTX3070).

Last edited:

fizzelopeguss

Arcane
Because there's no excuse to not have it. It's effectively the same architecture as before.

My question is why is it getting so much attention this time? I think it's 'cause there ain't no real next gen games as said above.

It's something Phil Spencer has been working on since he took over xbox, we're finally seeing it come to full fruition now.

It was a selling point of the original 60gb ps3, before they removed the EE chip to lower cost of the machine. As for the One and PS4, I think people were just desperate for new machines at that point, the PS360 era was absurdly long.

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
Digital Foundry's first Series X/PS5 comparison video is out with Devil May Cry and they pretty much perform the same. Though it's interesting how one will be a few percent higher here and the other a few percent higher there. They speculate memory bandwidth differences.

Also worth noting the ray tracing mode has to be at 1080p with lower res reflections to maintain 60fps.

TemplarGR

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck Bethestard
Also worth noting the ray tracing mode has to be at 1080p with lower res reflections to maintain 60fps.

Raytracing is garbage. It was pushed out too soon because Nshitia wanted a gimmick to push for more expensive gpus, and then AMD was forced to add it to the new consoles because the console makers didn't want their consoles to appear "low tech" compared to PC, for marketing reasons.

It is not clear pure raytracing, just used for a few effects, it does not make a large visual difference compared to simply using traditional techniques, and it destroys the performance so much that 4K is a pipedream even for very powerful modern gpus. What's the point? I don't see it becoming important until 10 years have passed.

Wierd none of you posted xbox new biggest feature yet. Floating ping pong balls
v8evvugwliy51.jpg

Wow, i have never seen those 2 compared externally. WTF? The new console looks like a desktop tower case with a grill on top. That's what you get for trying to push raytracing on consoles for no reason.

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
Raytracing is garbage. It was pushed out too soon because Nshitia wanted a gimmick to push for more expensive gpus, and then AMD was forced to add it to the new consoles because the console makers didn't want their consoles to appear "low tech" compared to PC, for marketing reasons.

It is not clear pure raytracing, just used for a few effects, it does not make a large visual difference compared to simply using traditional techniques, and it destroys the performance so much that 4K is a pipedream even for very powerful modern gpus. What's the point? I don't see it becoming important until 10 years have passed.

I think global illumination is pretty cool, but I don't get the rampant orgasms over reflections at all. SSR has some quirks but looks fine overall when you're talking a 40% performance hit, and the reflections of ray tracing look kinda fake to me sometimes, too mirror-like for the surfaces they're on.

Either way though I'm more trying to ascertain where console ray tracing performance stacks up to PC so we kinda know what we're gonna need. If it requires 1080p with half-resolution ray tracing to do 60fps, then I'd say even RTX 2000 series owners are in decent shape to match console performance.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom