Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

The Redsea Saga - Episode One.

ironyuri

Whether we accept the deal now (lie) or not,, Barbarian says we have another choice to make before we leave.

I want to accept the deal because Elias might feed us as much false info as Kindra does. He might even try to kill us now that he's seen what we are.

So fuck him. I don't want to know more about Kindra, I just want to gtfo without Elias having time to move against our man.

We broke Kindra's hand already, she knows she can't fuck with us easily, so just force her into submission, if she tries to screw us metaphorically, kill her.

The Barbarian

Liturgist
Update Four (Episode One)

'Alright, Kindra. We have a deal. How do we secure the sandskimmer?'

Kindra smiles, relieved, and takes time to explain the when and the where of the secret rendezvous, as well as how to get there. The plan, as these things go, is deceptively simple. Disable the guard(s) silently, take the vehicle and then rely on Kindra's authority to get you through the gate. In that order. Pursuit is unlikely, as there are just three sandskimmers, and only two are fuelled at any given time. The other one is currently on its way back from Cortica. And, according to Kindra, the buggies cannot catch a sandskimmer on full throttle.

'We will meet up two hours before you are scheduled to meet Elias again. Are you able to keep time?' she asks you.

You pull back your sleeve, slightly, revealing a digital chronometer. She nods. 'Rest up until tomorrow, then, Mr. I've got some stuff to take care of before our "trip".' Shortly thereafter, you curtly part ways, and she leaves The Murderhole. Finally, you have time to breathe. It has been a very, very long day.

You sink into the filthy bed taking up almost the entirety of your tiny room. About half an hour passes before you budge again - seemingly resistant to the repugnant smell that abounds and the sight of suspicious stains on the tattered blanket. Soon, you find yourself rolling the rosary over in your hand again with a steady rhythm. Troubling thoughts flash across your mind, before disappearing into its darkest recesses. Eventually, though, the rolling ceases. You find yourself quite asleep.

Two and a half hours. On the dot. That is the rest period your body affords you, before it snaps you out of your slumber, once again. With a silent yawn, you rise from bed, well rested. It is just past ten o'clock. At night. For a moment, you wonder if that rule of thumb actually holds true on Redsea. Is it actually night, out there? You do not wonder overlong, however. It has finally dawned on you that you are, in fact, extremely hungry. Quickly, you decide to accept Elias' hospitable offer of sponsored sustenance. The less you have to dip into your own supplies, the better.

Within a minute, you are on the ground floor of the canteen, sauntering over to the bar. Glasseye stands there, mindlessly wiping a glass and watching you once again. The pitch black orb in his left eye socket eloquently tells the story of his name. 'Hello, Glasseye. Elias has sent word that I am to be given free food and water, yes? I would like both.'

Glasseye's face is totally impassive, though you think you see a subtle curling of lips. He says nothing, but soon has a plate of what look like biscuits in one hand and a metallic cup in the other. Both land in front of you a moment later. You look at the 'biscuits', ashen faced. '... Really?'

The big barkeep offers no response.

You sigh and pick up a biscuit. Immediately, your olfactory senses tell you that the food is not poisoned. It is merely terrible. Ceremonial disgust out of the way, you bite down and chew. You somehow manage to do this several times, before gulping down the murky water in front of you, as if putting out a fire in your mouth.

Laughter erupts behind you, and a voice calls out. 'Well done, stranger! Well done!'

You turn around, slowly. A few metres away, a trio of figures are seated at a small table, playing a generic looking card game. One of them - a young man with seemingly no hair on his head whatsoever, and some very mean looking piercings in his nose and ears - is still laughing.

He stands up. 'My name is Turbo. What's yours?'

You say nothing in response. A tense moment passes, and Turbo begins to get visibly agitated. 'Stranger, what's your name?' You simply continue to watch the bravo intently.

' ... Are you the one with the needler, then? Is it true?' Your eyes narrow.

'Stranger, I want to see your needler. Show us your needler, don't be a cunt.' There is now total silence in the canteen, Turbo excepted. 'Come on, we won't steal it. Just show it to us. We all want to see it.' He is clearly getting impatient - perhaps even anxious. You sense trouble.

'You're not being very friendly, stranger. I fucking hate unfriendly people. Come on, why don't you want to be friends with us?''

That said, Turbo comes around from behind the table and begins to walk toward you. His friends also rise. A second later, the tell-tale glint of a blade propels you into action. Turbo's knife is wickedly curved, and you more than half suspect that his fellows have hidden weapons, too. But you do not draw your needler. Instead, you explode from your seat, like a viper. Turbo was about to say something, but instead stops mid-step. It is far, far too late, by that point.

He thrusts his weapon arm forward clumsily, instinctively. Your right hand catches his right at the wrist. You forcefully turn it clock-wise, and the knife drops almost immediately, as Turbo's wrist is smashed beyond repair. His scream is not yet run its course when your follow up left hand strikes his right elbow and destroys the joint. Turbo falls to the ground, shrieking and desperately nursing two open fractures on the same arm; a grotesque sight. One of the men who was with Turbo sprints out of The Murderhole as fast as his legs will carry him.

The other is stuck like a deer in headlights. There is a smaller knife in his hand. Absurdly, he throws it at you - needless to say, you easily dodge the makeshift missile. As you advance on him, he attempts to throw a few haphazard punches at you; all parried without ceremony. Then you lunge forward and grab him by the back of the head with one hand, while punching his ribs with the other. Nearly all are broken in moments. Before he can fall to the ground, though, you take the opportunity to kick the thug in the right knee, breaking it for good measure. The fight is over. Only anguished cries remain.

You look around. The patrons of The Murderhole stare at you wide eyed. Glasseye approaches, arms raised.

'All right, stranger. It's all right. Don't worry about these boys, we'll take care of 'em. Everybody here saw they drew blades before you decided the matter. It is settled.'

You nod, in response. He comes closer and leans in.

'Look, now you can either go back to your room, and then see Elias when you're supposed to tomorrow, or you can go outside and have a look at what this shithole has to offer. I don't really care which. Either way, I'd stay off the floor for a while. That kid might come back with friends. Maybe you don't need protection - but you never know, you know?'

Do you... go back to your room and wait for the time to pass?

OR

Do you... explore Iris a bit, before you have to tearfully bid it farewell?

Jaedar

Arcane
Patron
Project: Eternity Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pathfinder: Kingmaker
Explore

It is fine to see you doing another one of these.

SoupNazi

Exploring seems too obvious and it would be easy for someone to pick us off or ambush is in a city unknown to us entirely, and where we have no friends whatsoever (unless we can count Kindra among our friends). At least in our room we can be prepared for anything should harm come to us.

Go back to our room and wait for time to pass.

Azira

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012
:love:

Beating up hoodlums makes me :smug:

I say we explore. Staying in the room doesn't sound very productive, especially since we already got the sleep we need. Maybe we should also try to find some more grub, seeing as we were described as near starving.. Keeping a metabolism like ours running probably needs more sustenance than the average human. M:

anus_pounder

Arcane
SoupNazi said:
Exploring seems too obvious and it would be easy for someone to pick us off or ambush is in a city unknown to us entirely, and where we have no friends whatsoever (unless we can count Kindra among our friends). At least in our room we can be prepared for anything should harm come to us.

Go back to our room and wait for time to pass.

laclongquan

Arcane
Too many people know too fast that we have a needler. Stay in one known place make for sitting duck.

Explore, old chap! IT's a dangerous activity but not as dangerous as staying upstair.

I guess there's one more bloody encounter on the exploration. But stay inside invite at least two more.

Crooked Bee

(no longer) a wide-wandering bee
Patron
Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire MCA Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
Is that even a question? I mean, this is an RPG forum. Exploring is what we totally love doing. And the more unknown an area, the more interesting exploration is.

ironyuri

Thugs can find us in our room just as easy as they can mobile. Our man seems to have a good sense of perception and alertness so we shouldn't be easily caught off guard.

Explore!

SoupNazi

inb4 we get ambushed and the needler is stolen in the ambush.

Esquilax

Arcane
Crooked Bee said:
Is that even a question? I mean, this is an RPG forum. Exploring is what we totally love doing. And the more unknown an area, the more interesting exploration is.

However, if someone is coming for us in an unfamiliar city, they might come from the rooftops, or behind us - pulling an ambush off is much easier in open and unfamiliar territory, don't kid yourself. Elias is not dumb enough to ambush us in our own room because (a) he knows that we'll see it coming and be prepared and (b) I don't think he's prepared to sacrifice many of his men to capture us and take our stuff. It's too much of a risk for him; worst case scenario is we slaughter his goons and then come after him. If he's going to come after as, he is going to be much craftier than doing something this dumb. The whole point of staying in is that it's the safe choice.

But anyways, I think we need to find a way out of this predicament we've gotten ourselves in with Elias and Kindra. I don't much care to get bogged down in their petty squabbles and finding some other leads around town might let us wash our hands of these people. As far as I'm concerned, we've been acting like little bitches up till now.

We can't keep cutting deals and acting meek with people; our character is certainly the uncompromising type, being that he's the kind of man willing to get shot into space into a distant, unknown planet just to go after someone. It's not in his character to back down and make Faustian bargains with shady assholes. Either they give him what he wants, or he blows their fucking heads off.

EDIT: I VOTE TO STAY IN

Esquilax

Arcane
Not really. We've already agreed to Kindra's deal because apparently, while our bro is a walking death machine, he is also powerless against pussy. So the only time we'd be leaving is to steal Elias' sandskimmer and head to Cortica. I'm saying that while the risky option, going around town might help us make a contact or two that might help us get away from being bogged down any further in any bullshit Kindra and Elias want to draw us into.

I'm not gonna lie; yeah, there's a chance that heading into unfamiliar territory might mean that Elias' people incapacitate us from behind and take our stuff. But I guess that is a risk we're going to have to take.

Gondolin

Arcane
Locking yourself in a box with only one exit is a poor choice. Sure, you can take anybody that comes through the door, until they start throwing explosives in. Elias can simply pile up dynamite in the corridor and tell you that you either hand over the goods or starve.

If Innocent needs to rest, I'd rather he found a hiding place himself than accept Elias' hospitality. Then again, I may be more than a bit paranoid. :)

Esquilax

Arcane
Gondolin said:
Locking yourself in a box with only one exit is a poor choice. Sure, you can take anybody that comes through the door, until they start throwing explosives in. Elias can simply pile up dynamite in the corridor and tell you that you either hand over the goods or starve.

If Innocent needs to rest, I'd rather he found a hiding place himself than accept Elias' hospitality. Then again, I may be more than a bit paranoid. :)

Yeah, and blow up the entire bar and potentially our equipment? What would be the point in doing that if it risks destroying the very thing he attacked us for? If Elias (or Kindra, for that matter) has something planned, it will involve more subterfuge than simply charging at us in such a direct manner. He is far more likely to wait while our guard is down. Hence, staying in is the low-risk option.

It's all moot anyways, since I've voted to explore regardless.

The Barbarian

Liturgist
Can we get a full rundown of our character's abilities and skills, later?

Finding out through use is part of the fun! ;)

Conan likes to leave things a little uncertain. But, if it helps, Innocent is a very capable individual, with numerous tricks up his sleeve. The Barbarian will constantly drop hints with regard to situations that he should be able to handle, and those that he cannot.

The Barbarian

Liturgist
The Barbarian must do some very important stuff over the next few days. The update will be up by Saturday. And then the pace will stay consistent for a while.

wjw

Augur
ghostdog said:
Eagerly awaiting for the pace to pick up.

It's not thursday ... err saturday yet!

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom