Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Decline The rhyme and reason behind editing very old posts

Semiurge

Cipher
I'm probably not the only one who's noticed that sometimes old posts become editable again after the initial window has closed. Is this due to a bug or do other's reactions to them, or lack thereof, play some part in it?

Sorry if this was supposed to be a well guarded secret.

Bester

⚰️☠️⚱️
Patron
Vatnik
I'm probably not the only one who's noticed that sometimes old posts become editable again after the initial window has closed. Is this due to a bug or do other's reactions to them, or lack thereof, play some part in it?

Probably to avoid situations like the one with J*rlFr*nk.

I went back and edited out some stuff about myself a couple of times, too. Otherwise I'd have to ask the mods each time.

Humanophage

Arcane
There is no editable window. I can edit my posts from the 00s, for example. Free forums do not follow the inferior social media format that takes away agency from the user in every possible way, inserting obscure and mercurial algorithms and moderation even for viewing order. Neither is there a recency bias that claims that recent posts are important, while old posts and threads must be ignored and bringing them up is necromancy. This is a manifestation of the great liberty and wisdom enjoyed by the Codex.

Last edited:

Semiurge

Cipher
How long is the no-edit-window? I'll have to earmark a few posts of mine. I can't let the occasional horrible grammar/spelling stand for eternity.

If it's any consolation, your grammar would have to quite bad if that's the main thing people remember you for.

There is no editable window. I can edit my posts from the 00s, for example. Free forums do not follow the inferior social media format that takes away agency from the user in every possible way, inserting obscure and mercurial algorithms and moderation even for viewing order. Neither is there a recency bias that claims that recent posts are important, while old posts and threads must be ignored and bringing them up is necromancy. This is a manifestation of the great liberty and wisdom enjoyed by the Codex.

The initial period for editing is 30 minutes, then it seems that if the post is at least a week old, it may or may not become editable again, it seems completely random to me which is why I wondered if ratings and other reactions matter. I bet we'd all like it if they could be edited infinitely, but most boards have professional trolls and spammers with alts who ruin everything, or at least that's the official explanation.

Zed Duke of Banville

Dungeon Master
Patron
The initial period for editing is 30 minutes, then it seems that if the post is at least a week old, it may or may not become editable again, it seems completely random to me which is why I wondered if ratings and other reactions matter. I bet we'd all like it if they could be edited infinitely, but most boards have professional trolls and spammers with alts who ruin everything, or at least that's the official explanation.
Once a Codex member has reached their 1-year anniversary, they are granted not only the precious button ratings but also the ability to edit their old posts. :M

Semiurge

Cipher
Once a Codex member has reached their 1-year anniversary, they are granted not only the precious button ratings but also the ability to edit their old posts. :M

Sonofabitch. Is such a thing possible.... I'll have to re-evaluate everything now.

Semiurge

Cipher
We can edit our old posts so those trollposts we made can't be used against us fifty years later. Welcome to the Information Age.

Older drafts of posts are probably stored in the forum software backups, but who knows for how long.

Farewell into the night

sumtymes I habe eh susspicion dat sumwun edit mah postz, but im nevah 100% shoor.

taxalot

I'm a spicy fellow.
Patron
Codex 2013 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015

In today's age of quickly evolving moral standards, if you see an old post that could come to bite you in the ass, it only makes sense to be able to modify it.

I have done this a few times, and do it whenver I have a "oh shit" moment reading my old posts.

Semiurge

Cipher
Did this get fixed? No matter, I'm keeping a list of posts that shall be deleted when the time comes...

Strange Fellow

Peculiar
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
However much of a retard those old posts make you look, it's infinitely more pathetic to pretend you never made them. That's right Maxie

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom