Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Jagged Alliance The RPG genre is weak. Very weak. Probably the weakest traditional genre in gaming

AArmanFV

Arbiter
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire
What separated the thing from wargames was the focus chaged from large units in a battlefield with fixed "attributes" (if we can call it like that) to a "character" (adding stats like HP and attributes that could develop), it was ok until storyfags appeared and broke the balance. Was inevitable due to the nature of the game itself that it would shift into a more story focused thing.

Last edited:
Self-Ejected

Lilura

RPG Codex Dragon Lady
How come rpgs like Underrail or Pathfinder ... both games are reasonably difficult and do not hand hold you like a brain dead mongo plus the story is not heads on pants retarded.

So what you're saying is that Undertale, Poncefinder: Cuckmaker and Divinity: Iggy Bin should be praised because they aren't FULLY retarded? That's stupid, and so are you.

tbqh, nothing more funny than an RPG fan talking about "difficulty". The genre has always been for casuals, with but a few exceptions (e.g, JA2, Silent Storm, ToEE). If we move away from games commonly called RPGs (and why wouldn't we lol), then we gain access to clearly superior games such as X-COM and its monocled derivatives.

Those who play strategy games have always laughed at RPG fans. Now more than ever.

Sykar

Arcane
How come rpgs like Underrail or Pathfinder ... both games are reasonably difficult and do not hand hold you like a brain dead mongo plus the story is not heads on pants retarded.

So what you're saying is that Undertale, Poncefinder: Cuckmaker and Divinity: Iggy Bin should be praised because they aren't FULLY retarded? That's stupid, and so are you.

tbqh, nothing more funny than an RPG fan talking about "difficulty". The genre has always been for casuals, with but a few exceptions (e.g, JA2, Silent Storm, ToEE). If we move away from games commonly called RPGs (and why wouldn't we lol), then we gain access to clearly superior games such as X-COM and its monocled derivatives.

Those who play strategy games have always laughed at RPG fans. Now more than ever.

Looky there it is vomiting its meaningless opinion in my direction. How cute.

Self-Ejected

Lilura

RPG Codex Dragon Lady
Everything seems to be a RPG these days.

That's because, as I said, the term is inclusive and invites every form of decline imaginable. To be an RPG has almost become synonymous with being retarded.

Unwanted

Sweeper

Unwanted
Zionist Agent
Idk if this post was ironic or not, but Underrail does have better exploration than all of those games and better combat than Fallout and DX. If it's a better game overall that's debatable.
Both of them are better unironically. Unless you're a storyfag I guess.
tabletop roleplaying games are utterly irrelevant to CRPGs today
They're still very much relevant.
3.5 > 5e
So what you're saying is that Undertale, Poncefinder: Cuckmaker should be praised because they aren't FULLY retarded?
They should be praised because at the very least, they're the best CRPGs to come out since Troika went under.

Last edited:

ItsChon

Resident Zoomer
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
MOBAs are a degeneration of the RTS. It's what happens when you remove 99% of features that make RTS fun and pretend you made a new genre. It's literally Warcraft 3 with no resource gathering, no base building, no unit training, you just control one hero. Lame and boring, worst meme genre ever conceived of.
Trash take tbh. I'm over MOBAs but to pretend that they don't require a high level of skill to play at the highest level is silly, and if it wasn't for the fact that they were so fucking frustrating, they would be very fun.

Sykar

Arcane
MOBAs are a degeneration of the RTS. It's what happens when you remove 99% of features that make RTS fun and pretend you made a new genre. It's literally Warcraft 3 with no resource gathering, no base building, no unit training, you just control one hero. Lame and boring, worst meme genre ever conceived of.
Trash take tbh. I'm over MOBAs but to pretend that they don't require a high level of skill to play at the highest level is silly, and if it wasn't for the fact that they were so fucking frustrating, they would be very fun.

A large portion of the community is toxic garbage especially at lower ratings. A huge chunks of players there have the attitude that everything is anyone else's fault and the more you believe others are failing the more you are "entitled" to flame the team for the rest of the game or outright troll your team because "they" do not deserve your divine presence.

Last edited:

Ol' Willy

Arcane
Zionist Agent Vatnik
And VATS was mostly a hindernance, because the adversaries were still moving during VATS execution.
While using V.A.T.S., the otherwise real-time combat is paused.

The player character receives only 10% of normal damage in V.A.T.S.

To hit chances are unaffected by enemy' movement.

I see no point in further arguing with you. If VATS is a hindrance, then what else to say?

Vatnik Wumao
If VATS is a hindrance, then what else to say?
As far as I'm concerned, it's the opposite of a hindrance - it's a cheat within a system which is otherwise a conventional FPS. So while it was pertinent for Fallout 1 and 2, it shouldn't have been adapted to subsequent titles.

luj1

You're all shills
Vatnik
"RPGs" wandered off from their wargaming roots and got lost in the woods. They never should have been called "RPGs" in the first place

Indeed, terminology is the source of the problem. Many turn-based strategy games are more of an "RPG" than half the stuff in Codex top 100 by virtue of format alone. Hell, if Warcraft III or Commandos were turn based, they'd be too. The dark truth is, we are fooling ourselves; at some point in the last 20 years we allowed the genre constraints to slip. Games such as Dark Souls, Witcher, Morrowind can never be "RPGs" (even though I love Morrowind for different reasons).

Last edited:

ItsChon

Resident Zoomer
Patron
Underrail is one of the greatest RPGs of all time. It has the best combat system of any RPG outside of squad basic "RPGs" which are closer to strategy games then anything else, amazing variety when it comes to character building, great atmosphere, setting, writing, the works. It does almost everything better than the Fallout games, and by sheer virtue of not being first person decline, it beats out Deus Ex. There really is no comparison.

luj1

You're all shills
Vatnik
outside of squad basic "RPGs" which are closer to strategy games

True RPGs are strategy games.

png-clipart-miniature-figure-wargaming-figurine-seneschal-color-credit-cards-color-eye.png

11e6dd50329df5d3bf90f0edfd3b5329.jpg

51AJuhnt5VL._SX338_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

Last edited:

luj1

You're all shills
Vatnik
Let me add that I love Underrail, however if you believe it does "almost everything better than Fallout" you're crazy. It does boast a great crafting system, but crafting should have never been a feature of "RPGs".

ItsChon

Resident Zoomer
Patron
Also, I love Underrail, but if you think it does "almost everything better than Fallout" you're crazy. It has a great crafting system, but crafting should have never been a feature of "RPGs".
Kk, name some stuff Fallout does better. And bare in mind that even if there are some elements you'd give to Fallout, how do the overall games compare? If Fallout and Underrail were compared in a vacuum it would be no contest, but most people have their opinions clouded by nostalgia.

Unwanted

Sweeper

Unwanted
Zionist Agent
Let me add that I love Underrail, however if you believe it does "almost everything better than Fallout" you're crazy. It does boast a great crafting system, but crafting should have never been a feature of "RPGs".
Underrail does everything (that matters) better than Fallout. C&C and story are nice, but I need char building, I need difficulty, I need good combat.

Codex Year of the Donut
Everything except build variety and crafting.
underrail has far better combat and exploration
fallout has better quest design and better written/more memorable characters

thought underrail's world was more interesting than fallout's but that probably depends on the person, all the stuff surrounding the faceless, deep caves computer lore, etc., was pretty interesting to me

RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In

Never got around to playing Silent Storm but Dark Souls is harder than both Jagged Alliance 2 and Temple of Elemental Evil. In fact there are no difficult combats in ToEE after the Moathouse. Bosses in Strange Journey, especially the final one were also harder than any encounter in both games.
I don't even know why you mentioned them since neither ToEE nor JA2 is known as a particularly hard game. IIRC JA2 has a fan-made total overhaul mod/patch that changes a lot of elements specifically because of how easy the game becomes after a while.

Self-Ejected

Lilura

RPG Codex Dragon Lady
Codex overrates any "RPG" that has devs posting on Codex.

Underrail
PS:T
Grimoire
Wesp's shitty patch
Name your shit-tier Cuckstarter

If JA2 devs popped in, you'd worship them and prolaim JA2 GOAT instead of just 14th lol

But since only Avellone drops in, PS:T is first-ranked.

lol fan'tards.

Funposter

Arcane

Have you considered just playing strategy games instead of RPGs?

Vatnik Wumao

Have you considered just playing strategy games instead of RPGs?
She couldn't get away with as much masturbatory elitism with her opinions about the games within the genre if she did that. :M

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom