Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Moonspeak The Screamer - the story of a boy and his torch worm [Translation Project Thread]

Helly

Translating for brofists
Patron
Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit.
So here we are, the first full version of The Screamer is out!
You can get it here:
Version 1.0

What is The Screamer ?

It's a dark futuristic japanese dungeon crawler & action rpg from 1986, only released in Japan on PC-98 and Sharp X1
The graphics are nice:
388030TheScreamer.png

283268TheScreamerCopie2.png
538172TheScreamerCopie3.png

803897TheScreamerCopie.png
458062TheScreamerCopie1.jpg

Older versions: Version 0.9

The game now should be playable and finishable - the parser works thanks to MrRichard999 !

If you can help me reformulate some sentences, I'd love the help, but keep in mind that there is a technical limit on the number of characters: if I used 10 letters/spaces, it's because you cannot use more.

Problems known for now:

None

If you need any other info on the game please ask here and I'll give my best to answer :salute:

Last edited:

Crooked Bee

(no longer) a wide-wandering bee
Patron
Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire MCA Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
Some notes:

1) You can open doors with Numpad 5; make sure Num Lock is on - took me a while to figure this out. :P

2) The game is Wizardry-like when exploring, but the combat is real-time (and pretty stupid, but whatever - the exploration makes up for it - and the combat has been fairly easy so far)

3) You can jump around and duck in combat (Numpad 8 and 2, respectively). This can be crucial when fighting crawling monsters like worms - duck, protect your legs and fire back:

9572.png

Jumping away from the enemy (or over its head and away) is also a viable tactic if you want to get a better shot at it.

Also oh my hovering flowers!

9574.png

4) The readme files says you attack with "w", but it's actually "z" for me - dunno why, might be the keyboard layout

Translation stuff:

1) Some untranslated Japanese here - I take it the game asks you whether you want to return to the town:

9573.png

2) In menus, "Throw" should be "Drop" - it's the standard command.

3) What's "Heads"? Is it Headquarters? In that case, "HQ" would be a better translation

4) When you buy a weapon, the shopkeeper asks you "You want the one?" It should be "You want this one?" or, if space doesn't permit that, simply "You sure?" or something.

5) In the exploration menu, is "Pass" supposed to be Password? When you choose it, it says "Nobody here" - that doesn't make much sense. :P

6) The Look command gives you "Nothing really different" - is this supposed to mean "Nothing really interesting"? That would probably be a better way to translate it.

Overall, hurray huzzah major incline!
:incline:

Will comment more as I play on.

Crooked Bee

Patron
Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire MCA Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
^ "Nothing in particular", then, I guess. Or just "Nothing here"/"Nothing to see here"

Anyway, I think it's pretty incredible what they did with the art, given the time and technology:

9576.png

9577.png

9578.png

9579.png

lightbane

Arcane
What about "No problem here" (used in Earthbound)? Anyways, I won't be able to play this game but still, many :bro: for your efforts.

Helly

Translating for brofists
Patron
Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit.
Crooked Bee: Yeah, the monsters & art are really good: wait before you see the Battle bees ;-)
Anyway thanks a LOT for the screens & comments! :love:

Some notes:
1) You can open doors with Numpad 5; make sure Num Lock is on - took me a while to figure this out. :P
It only works with Num Lock for you ? Interesting, it doesn't for me, but I'll be sure to add the info in the readme.
2) The game is Wizardry-like when exploring, but the combat is real-time (and pretty stupid, but whatever - the exploration makes up for it - and the combat has been fairly easy so far)
I honestly couldn't play it more 2,3 fights, but I guess my emulation speed is a bit too fast (and
4) The readme files says you attack with "w", but it's actually "z" for me - dunno why, might be the keyboard layout
Yeah, probably because I have an azerty keyboard. Well,
Translation stuff:
1) Some untranslated Japanese here - I take it the game asks you whether you want to return to the town:
Yep, I know that one, but I have had trouble understanding why it's in gibberish japanese. I'm searching though :)
2) In menus, "Throw" should be "Drop" - it's the standard command.
Yeah, nice! Thanks, will change.
3) What's "Heads"? Is it Headquarters? In that case, "HQ" would be a better translation
It really is supposed to be a Headhunter's base, but indeed, HQ would be simpler and more understandable. Will change.
4) When you buy a weapon, the shopkeeper asks you "You want the one?" It should be "You want this one?" or, if space doesn't permit that, simply "You sure?" or something.
Space doesn't permit that, sadly. I guess "You want the one?" is definitely not a good translation! Will change.
5) In the exploration menu, is "Pass" supposed to be Password? When you choose it, it says "Nobody here" - that doesn't make much sense. :P
It should be give, I forgot to change that one. Will do too :)
6) The Look command gives you "Nothing really different" - is this supposed to mean "Nothing really interesting"? That would probably be a better way to translate it.
It really was "Nothing really different" in jap. Hum, I'll look into this one.

Haha what the fuck

9575.png

What happened here ? o_O
EDIT: OK, I understood !
It's actually not a Lode Defenser but a Loud Defenser or something. Damn katakanas, how do they work ? ;)

Crooked Bee

Patron
What happened here ? o_O
It's actually not a Lode Defenser but a Loud Defenser or something. Damn katakanas, how do they work ? ;)

Can it be a Road Defensor, maybe? :P

It's basically a turret that pops up and shoots you at certain points in the dungeon, kinda like a trap.

(Also, it should probably be "Defensor," not "Defenser," because the former is Latin and the latter isn't even a word.)

Didn't know combat was in real time, I'm not interested then.

Yeah, it's real time, but as Crooked bee said it's not definitely not the most interesting element of the game. It's more of a graphicwhore's game than anything ;-)

It's not only for graphicwhores - it's also for dungeonwhores and mappingwhores; the first floor is actually fairly interesting as far as dungeon design goes, and pleasant to explore.

The only problem so far is that enemies give too few Beast Points and leveling takes forever as a result. Helly, can you maybe see if it's possible to hack the game to add a 2x or even 3x multiplier to the amount of Beast Points given by enemies?

Haba

Harbinger of Decline
Patron
Codex 2012 MCA Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2
Wowz, good jobz boyaz.

Betsu ni/no?

"There is nothing here, really."

Can't use literal translation for the likes.

Oh, if it is is betsuni, then "nothing in particular" would be most accurate in this context, maybez.

Helly

Translating for brofists
Patron
Wowz, good jobz boyaz.

Betsu ni/no?

"There is nothing here, really."

Can't use literal translation for the likes.

Oh, if it is is betsuni, then "nothing in particular" would be most accurate in this context, maybez.

Original japanese:
トクニ カワッタ モノハ アリマセン
Edit: I just found out "Kawatta" is not only Kawaru's past tense but also an adverb!
Hum, I guess the best translation would be: Nothing unusual.

What happened here ? o_O

Can it be a Road Defensor, maybe? :P

It's basically a turret that pops up and shoots you at certain points in the dungeon, kinda like a trap.

(Also, it should probably be "Defensor," not "Defenser," because the former is Latin and the latter isn't even a word.)
Original japanese:
ロード ディフェンサー
Indeed, I don't know why but I most certainly believed Defenser to be a real word :P.
I thought it looked kinda like a stereo, that's why Loud Defensor was an idea...But yeah, Road Defensor it will be (it's less stupid that way ;), thanks!)

Helly

Translating for brofists
Patron
The only problem so far is that enemies give too few Beast Points and leveling takes forever as a result. Helly, can you maybe see if it's possible to hack the game to add a 2x or even 3x multiplier to the amount of Beast Points given by enemies?

Will try to hack the monsters BP reward, though if you just want a hacked profile try Google (the only profile in the game .fdi I included).
It should be a breeze with that one :salute:

Crooked Bee

Patron
Thanks, I assume that's a high-level character? You know, I don't really want to cheat or play a 'buffed up' character - I just wanted to speed it up a little bit so I could beat the game within a reasonable amount of time.

Anyway, I should soon have another batch of feedback, I hope.

Helly

Translating for brofists
Patron
Thanks, I assume that's a high-level character? You know, I don't really want to cheat or play a 'buffed up' character - I just wanted to speed it up a little bit so I could beat the game within a reasonable amount of time.

Anyway, I should soon have another batch of feedback, I hope.

It's actually a hacked character with max stats and which already was in the floppy I got. I'll try to get rid of it for the final release, but right now it's quite useful.
I do know you have a lot of work on your hands, and I definitely thank you for your help on the translation :)

felipepepe

Codex's Heretic
Patron
Bee, how are you playing? I've tried using 500 as max speed as Helly suggested, but things are still insanely fast and combat is just mashing buttons... :(

Crooked Bee

Patron
Bee, how are you playing? I've tried using 500 as max speed as Helly suggested, but things are still insanely fast and combat is just mashing buttons... :(

500 is too high. Try setting it to 200 - it should work okay. Personally I'm using the Neko Project emulator, so I can't really say what the optimal speed for anex86 is. Just experiment with it to find out what speed is comfortable for you.

Personally I have managed to find the optimal speed for my playstyle - the battles don't take too long, but are fairly easy to keep under control.

Helly

Translating for brofists
Patron
Try 300, it's actually much more playable and not too slow either. I'll update the readme, 500 is indeed a bit too fast (it's what I used when I tested the menus, so I didn't care much about the combat, sorry!)
Edit: Ninjaed :D As CB said, try around 200-300 until you get to a playable speed :salute:

Crooked Bee

Patron
"BiologicSatchel" isn't really a satchel - it's a biological sensor/scanner that shows the enemy statistics. Just translate it as "BiologicScanner" or something. ("Satchel" = "Searcher"??)

Also, I just discovered that NPCs are there for you to trade with !! I gave a Tec Drug to Ratt, and he gave me a Sound Barrier in return !!

(No idea what Sound Barrier does though :P)

Helly

Translating for brofists
Patron
Ah, yes, it's a bad copy-paste from my first shot at the translation... I thought I corrected it, it's indeed Searcher! You can use it to check if places are infected with bacillus.
The sound barrier can be activated out of combat, I'll say no more ;)
Thanks as always !

Helly

Translating for brofists
Patron
Yeah, that was my first guess too, but inside the game's code there actually was each of the NPCs' engrish name. I used those, that's why we have MonsterMader, Jipang, Nachi, etc... (I would have translated them MonsterMurder, Zipang and Nazi myself too!)

deuxhero

Arcane
I've seen plenty of companies give romaji for characters that isn't consistent between games in a series (and it wouldn't surprise me to find a game that isn't even consistent with itself), so I wouldn't take it as a rule.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom