Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Incline The Sea Will Claim Everything

Verylittlefishes

Sacro Bosco
Patron
I never saw this game discussed here, and I find it unacceptable, so I will write this.

TSWCE is one of my favourite adventure games of the late decade, among with the Kentucky Route Zero and The Norwood Suite. And (trigger warning) with the Disco Elysium. Let me explain.

What makes the game and the world adult, mature, serious (even if it fulls of bright colors and dragons). Not bleak setting, undead hordes and graphic violence, but clever understanding, what forces are actually unhuman, suffocating, devastating. Who is the real enemy.

I mean, of course, capitalist realism. In this short fantasy adventure (7-9 hours to complete) you are going to the quest of securing the house of the Druid, put up on sale because of debts and eventually you are becoming aware of the threat to the world of dreams, posed by the mad Demiurge with his "governor" minions and the deadly weapon of making everyone a debtor.

Magic Creatures who need to struggle for survive in the world that is gradually becoming colder and sharper, turning into the stone of "reality". This thread is running through the all works of William Blake who was obviously the heavy inspiration for the Land Of Dreams setting (even the Demiurge's name is Lord Urizen).

It's a simple adventure game with very alive and bright characters (and there's a punchline for every mushroom). There are no animations, just static hand-drawn screens and a LOT of text, very funny and sophisticated (with multiple references to Aleister Crowley, abovementioned Blake and different mythology, fantasy and RPG cliches). However, there are few surprises, just when you get used to "calm reading" mode.

games_of_the_decade_sea_will_claim_everything.jpg

Anyway, this is smart, funny, short and cheap game (relugarly set up for "free download" because author really hates capitalism). It is a biggest part of a cycle of short games set in the same universe. Official sequel, The Council Of Crows is in development hell for 8 years already, but someday we will probably play it.

Jonas Kyratzes, who wrote this game, also wrote The Talos Principle, Omegaland and (sigh) Serious Sam 4.

Last edited:

Morpheus Kitami

Liturgist
I haven't gotten that far into it myself, but the opening section is interesting. There's a stupid puzzle where you have to click on a bunch of boxes, but otherwise its pretty good. Feels like a Douglas Adams game in writing, but without his cruel puzzle design. IIRC there's even a cool interface puzzle.

Verylittlefishes

Sacro Bosco
Patron
I haven't gotten that far into it myself, but the opening section is interesting. There's a stupid puzzle where you have to click on a bunch of boxes, but otherwise its pretty good. Feels like a Douglas Adams game in writing, but without his cruel puzzle design. IIRC there's even a cool interface puzzle.

I think boxes puzzle is the only one irritating element, nothing like this afterwards. I like the interactivity, how you can click on everything and give everything to the mouse for smelling, and create weird potions. It's almost like Humongous' Pajama Sam interactivity level lol.

Last edited:

KafkaBot

Scholar
This game is great and quite unique; a pity that works like this are not more common in this industry. It's shameful to say, but that state of affairs almost (ALMOST) makes me agree with Jonathan Blow.

Sad it isn't on GOG, though. Quirky titles like this would look so much better in my GOG library.

Jack Of Owls

Arcane
I probably wouldn't play this but I do like the title The Sea Will Claim Everything. Reminds me of the Kipling poem... "We Have Fed Our Seas."

v1rus

Arcane
Where could one give a try to older games of series? I tried the developers site, but he only links to some flash websites, and I strongly dislike playing such stuff in my browser.

Nifft Batuff

Prophet
I would like to play "The Infinite Ocean" by the same author, but it needs a flash player to be installed in the browser. Is there an offline/standalone version somewhere?

Verylittlefishes

Sacro Bosco
Patron
I would like to play "The Infinite Ocean" by the same author, but it needs a flash player to be installed in the browser. Is there an offline/standalone version somewhere?

Interesting, I didn't know about that one. Maybe this?

Also Omegaland I've mentioned in OP is amazingly underrated, starts as silly Mario clone, evolving into the glitch story about genocide.

ss_8fe5c6047b5aaa3ea1f9a4ca179e8fa7895325e1.1920x1080.jpg

Last edited:

Verylittlefishes

Sacro Bosco
Patron
Also Omegaland I've mentioned in OP is amazingly underrated, starts as silly Mario clone, evolving into the glitch story about genocide.
This sounds interesting.
Since this seems to be freeware anyway: Do you have a link beside Steam?

No, I think this one is Steam-only available.

Avarything. What's your problem?

Verylittlefishes

Sacro Bosco
Patron
unbearably verbose

this game consists only of text with static backgrounds, how can it be not "verbose".
The same way Zork games aren't?
It's not about the medium of the game, it's about the quality of writing. It's simply not economic, uses to many words to get to the point and drowns you in too much unnecessary information.

Plz leave my thread.

Morpheus Kitami

Liturgist
I get V_K's point, since I'm pretty sure this is the most verbose game I've seen that wasn't a text adventure. People tend to pick pictures or a thousand words, not both. Usually humor in adventure games annoys me, I was playing Plan 9 From Outer Space a few months ago and dropped it because every single action I took sounded like it was written by the smuggest writer who thought himself the greatest comedian of all time. Here, it didn't seem that bad to me, but I'm only just about to get off the opening island. Helps that a good chunk of it is optional, but also that its so rapid-fire that it doesn't matter if some of it is bad. There's definitely an element of smugness in places that I haven't cared for.

Morpheus Kitami

Liturgist
What does this mean?
Some of the writing comes off as smug. Like the author thought himself really clever for coming up with it. Mostly in the random object flavor text. But like I implied, its rapid-fire enough that you can ignore it, or not.
That said, finished it. Its pretty good. With the exception of that box puzzle, and finding the dwarf's amulet, its very clever. Probably the cleverest one I've played that was released in the past decade, and while I haven't played too many, I don't see very many games being capable of topping it. And it uses the game's meta-elements well in some puzzles, not to spoil anything though. However, once I got off the starting island, dialog was getting overly wordy and felt like a political screed, which it is. Allegory is best used when the allegory isn't being delivered with a sledgehammer. But I did like reading afterward about the creation of the game, and the author saying to his wife that this game wasn't going to sell, because it was going to be another political game.

Verylittlefishes

Sacro Bosco
Patron
Well yes, Jonas is very leftist (in normal sense, not rainbow genders sense) and it's the core of his worldview. I'm interested, however, how this is intertwined with his purely Greek powerful imagination.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom