Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

The Secret of Darkwoods - Open-world illustrated text-based RPG

luj1

You're all shills
Vatnik
rap2h You made this game in what?

Skorpion

Educated
Looks really interesting, wishlisted to play on release!
Hopefully you can add a supporter option. Looks like its easily worth a few dollars after looking over the screenshots etc.

rap2h

Arcane
Developer
By the way, I will be glad to have some of you as alpha testers!

I have a few Steam keys in my pockets, let me know if you are interested!

You can send a DM (you can also contact via discord here: https://discord.gg/MD3gbcMSNb)

BruceVC

Magister
luj1
Does it have checks? Attributes? Skills? Classes? Combat?
  • Checks: yes, it's something like "Test your dexterity (5 vs 1D6)"
  • Attributes: Strength, Dexterity, Intelligence, Endurance, Speed, Luck (6 attributes)
  • Skills: concentration, herbalism, lockpicking, persuasion, swimming, climbing, read runes (7 skills)
  • Classes: no (players build their hero by leveling up)
  • Combat: yes (players have check choices against the opponent)
This game looks good, I love CYOA designs. Im very interested :salute:

rap2h

Arcane
Developer
Alpha tests are still in progress. I have generated 30 new keys. Ask me if you want one.

rap2h

Arcane
Developer
Just added autosave (should have added this earlier though!) each time you enter a town

jg3n0d1.png

rap2h

Arcane
Developer
Thanks to a tester's feedback, I just added information about already visited towns on hover. Thus players will not have to revisit each town to find a particular shop!

Juw91os.jpg

rap2h

Arcane
Developer
A tester suggested sorting items by type to improve the quality of life for players when there are many items. I tried something but I feel like the adventure sheet should be like a gamebook sheet where you write down each item one by one. What do you think?

NBck9un.jpg

TD8kcPz.jpg

rap2h

Arcane
Developer
:D :D

I choose the name at the beginning of the project just because I thought it "sounded good" and was more memorable than the original one. Then I forgot about it :D

No AI here, just a dumb human that forgot their own game's name.

The image I posted is not totally true. I have a location that I renamed Darkwoods, but I have to check if it's consistent...

1 year ago, before the game dev started, I created a name generator for dungeon synth music: https://dungeon-synth-name-generator.vercel.app/
I could have use it! (no AI here either, just traditional procedural generation) Source code here: https://github.com/rap2hpoutre/dungeon-synth-name-generator/blob/main/src/routes/index.svelte#L31

agris

rap2h

Arcane
Developer
I just played the game from start to end for the first time. It took me 1 hour to speedrun it, I died once and reloaded twice. I expect players to beat it in 3 to 5 hours, maybe more (I don't know since I did not read any text).

lukaszek

the determinator
Patron
you might be the only dev able to finish his own game...

rap2h

Arcane
Developer
:deadtroll: help me!!

The game will be released in 9 days! Send me a DM if you want a steam key to beta test it (last chance for me!)

udm

Arcane
Patron
Make the Codex Great Again!
I'd love to try but I've got my hands full with work. Nonetheless, all the best and I'll definitely play it when it's out :salute:

flushfire

Augur
This is minor, but it's kind of off-putting that some of the art does not match the text. The toad for instance, text says it's twice the player's size. But there's grass (?) behind and beside it which makes it look smaller than that. The humanoid monster, supposed to be half-metallic, doesn't really look like it.

rap2h

Arcane
Developer
Thank you flushfire I will try to fix these text issues and check the rest of the text (time is running out!). EDIT: The right arm of the humanoid monster seems metallic, but that's definitely not half-metallic.

Atrachasis

Augur
Forget about the size, have you counted the number of digits on that toad's forelimbs? I know I have! And I am fascinated to see that AI image generation is having as much trouble getting toad limbs right as it is with human limbs.

Despite this glaring error regarding toad anatomy, I wish you good luck with your launch. Would this run on a normal Ubuntu-based Linux distro? I've never fiddled with SteamOS.

rap2h

Arcane
Developer
Atrachasis

Would this run on a normal Ubuntu-based Linux distro? I've never fiddled with SteamOS.
Yes! More than 15 users have tested it on various versions of Linux, I'm pretty confident! Send me a message if it does not work.

have you counted the number of digits on that toad's forelimbs
You will see no fingers on humans in this game :D (unless I missed something) Every picture is a portrait, or people hiding their hands for the reason you pointed out!
Enemies may have visible fingers but since it's "monsters" or fantastic beasts, I considered it OK.

Mortmal

Arcane
Atrachasis

Would this run on a normal Ubuntu-based Linux distro? I've never fiddled with SteamOS.
Yes! More than 15 users have tested it on various versions of Linux, I'm pretty confident! Send me a message if it does not work.

have you counted the number of digits on that toad's forelimbs
You will see no fingers on humans in this game :D (unless I missed something) Every picture is a portrait, or people hiding their hands for the reason you pointed out!
Enemies may have visible fingers but since it's "monsters" or fantastic beasts, I considered it OK.
Getting fingers right is hard but possible , certainly a waste of time but we kinda manage it. Not going to repost every pics but a few exemples are there.
https://rpgcodex.net/forums/threads...-prompts-tuning-and-other-stuff.144920/page-7

Waiting for your release in any case, great use of Ai art.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom