Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

The Settlers: New Allies - revival from Ubisoft

IDtenT

Menace to sobriety!
Patron
South Africa; My pronouns are: Banal/Shit/Boring
Divinity: Original Sin
Settlers 2 is a personal favourite, but 3 is the first one I played. Played at a friend's house. He could never shut up about how great it was.

We used to play Civ / Alpha Centauri / Pharaoh into the late morning. Fuck I actually miss the guy. Died in a car crash a long time ago.

Kruno

Arcane
Patron
Village Idiot Zionist Agent Shitposter
After all the development hell I wonder how cut back the game is? I bet it won't even have the feature set of the second game.

Last edited by a moderator:

Axioms

Arcane
Developer
Turns out it is total trash. MP focus, slashed city-building, etc. Which is insane how can you have to cut back on a city builder. Shit is relatively easy to make.

axx

Savant
The intensity of color saturation seems to be inversely-proportional to age of target audience.

RobotSquirrel

Arcane
Developer
youtube commenter said:
the original creator of The Settlers (Volker Wertich) has left this project because apparently he didn't agree with the direction Ubisoft wanted for this
And now it all makes sense as to why the sudden shift in direction and art style.

Hellraiser

Arcane
Ubishit gonna ubishit, unfortunately.

How the fuck are these guys still alive anyway? I mean how do they make money? It's not like they have COD, FIFA or a huge vault of still valuable classic IPs they can milk. Surely asscreed is not enough to fund the rest of the trainwreck?

warcrimes666

Educated
Patron
I just finished playing with the closed beta that started today. In the first couple of minutes I was cautiously optimistic with the tutorial. It very briefly felt settler-like (settler 6? like) plopping down a logging camp in step one of the tutorial. Its on a hex grid which I thought was alright. Unfortunately, it didn't last. It is essentially a cut rate RTS. You are forced into poor combat and the game is designed around it and multiplayer skirmish. City building and resources are an afterthought. For all intents and purposes, it is a warcraft clone.

While it says you can play alone, in the beta you must play 1v1 or 2v2 against bots or multiplayer with a campaign option greyed out. There are only around maybe fifteen buildings and seven or eight of them are military so there is little impetus to build a community anyway as after the few basic resource buildings are placed there is nothing else to do. You also must pick a leader that comes with resource or combat bonuses and the two choices you have in the beta are a mystical asian woman or a black pirate woman with cornrow hairstyle...

Its unfortunate because the bare bones are there to have made something good. Something approximating Settlers 2 or 3 with some added layers of complexity in this engine would have been exactly what people want. It is a shame.

There is not much else to sum up. It is not good and I've uninstalled after half an hour.

Gerrard

Arcane
I don't think most of these people who are suddenly surprised played 5 or 6. 5 was even more dumbed down than this, and 6 wasn't a Settlers game at all.

Napalm

Novice
No surprises, I was immediately suspicious when I didn't spot any hobbit looking dudes carrying ridiculously oversized stone blocks on their shoulders.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
https://www.ubisoft.com/en-gb/game/the-settlers/the-settlers/news-updates/6SKL9UPbeosarPxouOYAmJ

An important message from “The Settlers” team
Hello dear “The Settlers” fans

The recent Closed Beta was a great opportunity for all participating players to share valuable feedback regarding the current state of the game, and we’d like to thank you for your involvement. As we went through this feedback, it became clear to our team that the quality wasn’t yet in line with the team’s vision. Therefore, we took the decision to postpone the launch of the game to a later date.

The additional time will be used to further improve the game and push quality as our main priority for all our players. We will keep you updated in due time and give you more details on the next milestones for The Settlers.

Thank you for your continued understanding and support.

Your “The Settlers” Team

:hero:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom