Official RPG Codex Discord Server

1. Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.
    Dismiss Notice

The "Should I buy a 3DS/Are there any good games for the 3DS?" Thread

Discussion in 'jRPG Weeaboo Discussion' started by evdk, Feb 9, 2013.

1. evdk comrade troglodyte :M Patron

evdk
    Codex 2012 Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign
    I am thinking about purchasing a 3DS XL, but cannot decide whether to buy an EU one or import one from the US. (I am basically afraid that the games that I'd like to play would not be ported over here (looking at you, Etrian Odyssey) and I would be stuck with useless hardware and Mario).
    Does anyone here have an experience dealing with imported handhelds/games (ie.: online shopping when outside the region etc.)?

^ Top  
  2. Admiral jimbob gay as all hell

Admiral jimbob
    Wasteland 2
    The 3DS isn't region free, if you import it you'll be stuck playing only imported games. Yes, this is retarded.

I got mine here, I finally don't regret it now that there are some good games out, but if we don't get EO4 and a couple of others... bloody thing better get hacked soon, I guess.

^ Top  
  3. NDS is Nintendo's holy cow that they release anti-hack/piracy updates for pretty frequently so I'd stick to being a good citizen with virgin DS hardware/software unless you REALLY know what you're doing (in which case you wouldn't need to look at this thread, anyhow).

^ Top  
  4. Aeschylus Prestigious Gentleman Swindler Patron

Aeschylus
    Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Divinity: Original Sin 2
    Just get an Acekard 2i or something (latest firmware works with 3ds) and you can play whatever.

Also, I think region locking was only added on the DSi, and only games that are DSi and 3DS exclusive will be region locked. i.e. anything that would work on a normal DS should not be region locked.

^ Top  
  5. evdk comrade troglodyte :M Patron

evdk
    Codex 2012 Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign
    Yes, but I have a DSi with DSTWO, so region locking on DS games doesn't really matter to me.

Ad Acekard 2i - it actually works with 3DS games or just DS games on a 3DS?

^ Top  
  6. Aeschylus Prestigious Gentleman Swindler Patron

Aeschylus
    Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Divinity: Original Sin 2
    Hm, actually I just checked and your concerns are well founded -- apparently 3ds games will not work on any flash cart yet. Bummer. It'll probably happen eventually, but thusfar apparently not.

There's only 3 or 4 3DS games that are any good, but if you want to play them then I guess you'd need to do so on Nintendo's ridiculous terms. I'd cautiously recommend importing a US one as Eu releases of some games have tended to be crippled in some ways (see: the Professor Layton games). Of course, it also means importing all 3ds games which can be annoying.

^ Top  
  7. Admiral jimbob gay as all hell

Admiral jimbob
    Wasteland 2
    ^ Top  
  8. A possible workaround is ot update your flashcard by sticking it into an older DS, if you have one.

^ Top  
  9. Admiral jimbob gay as all hell

Admiral jimbob
    Wasteland 2
    Nope. That worked to begin with, until the 4.3 3DS firmware update, but Acekard simply can't update for the latest firmware any more - I can use it on my girlfriend's DS if I get the pressing urge to play it again, so it's not a big deal, but it's worth mentioning that the only flashcards currently working on the updated 3DS are the Supercard DSTwo and the R4i.

^ Top  
  10. Ozma Educated

Ozma
    Who gives a toss, Europe is getting EO4. Also Fire Emblem and it's super cool bundle console.

e: NoE actually is doing a pretty good job not screwing over Europe this generation.

^ Top  
  11. deamento Scholar

deamento
    Basicly what the title says
    also, if there are other good jrpgs for it, i'm all ears

^ Top  
  12. felipepepe Prestigious Gentleman Codex's Heretic Patron

felipepepe
    Pokemon X/Y
    Etrian Odissey IV
    Shin Megami Tensei IV
    Fire Emblem: Awakening

I'm VERY close to buying a 3DS XL for those... there's also stuff like Shin Megami Tensei: Devil Summoner - Soul Hackers, Theatrhythm Final Fantasy, Donkey Kong Country Returns 3D, StarFox 64 3D and the likes...

And it also plays DS games. If you skipped it, it has a amazing library of jRPGs.

^ Top  
  13. deamento Scholar

deamento
    wow, is shin megami tensei IV comming out on the 3ds?
    that and persona are probably my favorite JRPGs
    and about Devil summoner, i heard that they are doing remakes of those 2 for the 3ds, are they any good?

^ Top  
  14. felipepepe Prestigious Gentleman Codex's Heretic Patron

felipepepe
    People I spoke about seem to like it, but I didn't read any in-depth review... considering remakes, there's also the great Devil Survivor and Tales of Abyss...

^ Top  
  15. deamento Scholar

deamento
    my mistake, they're remaking devil survivor
    and i don't think you can really call it a remake, they're doing the same thing they did to persona 4 when they ported it to the vita.
    aslong as the people who are porting devil survivor aren't the braindead chimps from square enix, it'll be great

^ Top  
  16. deuxhero Arcane

deuxhero
    He's in Belgium, so the Atlus titles will take forever to get to him unless he imports his 3DS

^ Top  
  17. TigerKnee Arcane

TigerKnee
    FE: A isn't worth a 3DS on its own, IMO. It's okay to good-ish, but not great.

But there's a bunch of upcoming 3DS RPGs which people may like to warrant buying one.

^ Top  
  18. felipepepe Prestigious Gentleman Codex's Heretic Patron

felipepepe
    How silly, Nintendo offers much more support to brazilians: we don't get a local release, so everyone has to import the american one. :P

^ Top  
  19. deamento Scholar

deamento
    i can't import my 3DS from america, sadly, i imported my PSvita from america and i can't recharge it in a normal power socket because it's different for some reason.
    i really don't get why it takes so long to get it to the EU, they don't need to change anything in their ports except the PEGI rating >_<

^ Top  
  20. deamento Scholar

deamento
    i'm not going to buy one anytime soon though, i'm not allowed to get a job yet :x

^ Top  
  21. ghostdog Prestigious Gentleman Arcane Patron

ghostdog
    Huh ? Isn'te there a simple adapter that does the trick ?

Also why the hell import it from USA ? You can get it from AmazonUK or similar.

^ Top  
  22. Hobo Elf Arcane

Hobo Elf
    Probably he got the 3DS from the US so he can play games released in the US.

^ Top  
  23. ghostdog Prestigious Gentleman Arcane Patron

ghostdog
    Wait a sec... 3DS games are region locked ?

:retarded:

^ Top  
  24. Hobo Elf Arcane

Hobo Elf
    Yup. Sucks.

^ Top  
  25. Comrade Goby Magister

Comrade Goby
    Project: Eternity
    A 3ds is worth it for FE and SMT IV alone

Anything else is icing on the cake

^ Top  

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.