Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

The Silver Lining episode 1 is out now

Brother None

inXile Entertainment
Developer
Yarly

At Long Last, King’s Quest Fans See The Silver Lining
Highly anticipated fan game premieres today for free at www.tsl-game.com

SACRAMENTO, CALIF., July 10, 2010 – It’s a tribute fit for a king. After eight years of volunteer effort, Phoenix Online Studios’ long-awaited fan game The Silver Lining can be enjoyed by the venerable King’s Quest series’ millions of fans around the world. The first of five PC game episodes, “What Is Decreed Must Be,” is now available for free download from http://www.tsl-game.com. Additional installments are planned to release throughout 2010.

“I am deeply honored that a group of devoted fans have dedicated themselves to reviving the characters, lands, and quests of my adventure game series,” says King’s Quest creator and Sierra On-Line cofounder Roberta Williams. “Without the bravery and persistence of these volunteers, it is almost certain that King’s Quest would have been relegated to a forgotten obscurity—its story left untold. Now there is a chance to truly find out what happens to the royal family of the Kingdom of Daventry. I, like many other fans, would like to see how this story unfolds!”

Picking up where Sierra’s original King’s Quest series left off, “What Is Decreed Must Be” opens with what should be a joyous celebration in the Land of the Green Isles. Upon the arrival of a black-cloaked stranger, however, revelry turns to tragedy as the royal twins Alexander and Rosella fall victim to a mysterious curse. Now patriarch King Graham must don his feathered adventurer’s cap once again and set out on a quest to save his family—and to bring the beloved franchise into the new millennium.

The ambitious fan game rivals a commercial release, with polished 3D artwork, high-quality animation, an original soundtrack, and a voice cast that includes professional off-Broadway actors. At one point during The Silver Lining’s long development, the team topped out at 70 volunteers. Through it all the project has been met with overwhelming community and media support.

“The Silver Lining may have started out as a game made by fans, for fans, but over the years we’ve been fortunate to assemble an extremely talented team,” says designer / producer César Bittar, one of Phoenix Online Studios’ founding members. “Creating this game has been an incredible learning experience. Now we’re looking toward the future. The Silver Lining is only the beginning…”

With their fan project nearing completion, the team behind The Silver Lining has revealed that they will next turn their focus to commercial projects. A new episodic adventure game, Corridor 9, is in the early stages of development. More information about Phoenix Online Studios can be found at http://www.postudios.com/company.

Wulfstand

Prophet
It's okay I guess. The subpar graphics are natural, seeing how it's a indie game, i suppose. Never was much of a KQ fan, so I can't really give a call on whether or not this game 'feels' like its prequels. :M

abdwef

Novice
All that time and effort on 3D...and it looks so much worse than the 2D engine.

For a game made by fans, this game doesn't resemble the previous KQs very much at all. There is a total of...two puzzles in this first episode (yes, two puzzles). The rest of the game is clicking through long-winded comments by the narrator...or forced to sit through five minute cutscenes that can't be sped up, only skipped in their entirety.

This first episode is so short and unsatisfying that I wouldn't bother completing it right now -- wait for the other five to be completed.

Stabwound

Arcane
Yeah. It's been in production so long that it would have looked a lot better back in 2002 when it was actually started in its current form. Can't believe it took 8 years for this, and who knows how long it'll take for every episode, if they're even released.

It would have made much more sense, and looked better, if they used AGS like the KQ1 and 2 remakes.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom