Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

The spice must flow! - Dune the Board Game

Reality

Learned
Game Ended with 1 Full Storm Rotation

Emperor / Harkkoen Alliance Won Turn 4

Turn 1 -
Storm Starts on top of Habbanya Sietch, Harkkonen move their Full Stack into Arrakeen, Bene Gesserit and Guild then Block Carthag - Arteides only has 2 options, fight and risk 2 leaders, or leave (can't even reach a Spice Blow) - I settle with a peaceful retreat to Plastic Basin, because I know that Guild got Family Atomics Turn 1, and don't want Rim Wall West

Fremen Start with 2 Six stacks (Sietch Tabr, False Wall South) , Deployed directly onto Spice blow, and lose 3 battles (Guild defends Tuek's, Emperor Takes Sietch Tabr, Guild Full Dials the Spice Blow (this was a preventable loss)

Turn 2 -

4 Weapons are purchased, Guild also gets Weather Control, achieving the dream combo of Weather Control+ Family Atomics in same hand
Atredes lose an 8 stack fighting Harkkoen for a Spice Blow, Guild 10 Stack Kills a Fremen 10 stack in COMPLETE Safety(Dial 5), because the Fremen have 0 cards in hand and Guild has a weapon.

At the end of turn Guild Kills the Harkonnen 10 Stack on Arakeen and the Bene Gesserit 5 stack on Carthag by Nuking the Shield Wall and using Weather Control.

Turn 3
Only Weak cards are up for bid this round, Guild/Emperor go to their hand limit for almost nothing

The Guild continues poaching the 0 card Fremen, but Harkonen takes advantage by taking 2 Strongholds, The Emperor loses the only weapon he had the entire game in a battle with the Atreides

Turn 4
Storm Returns to Habbanya Sietch (owned by Harkonnen 1 stack) Alliances are formed - Emperor with Harkonnen, Atreides with Bene Gesserit, Guild with Fremen
Emperor has the largest army due to his passivity up to this point, Atreides has 2nd - 20 Fremen are in the tanks and 18 Guild

Arakeen 11 Emperor (7+2 Sardaukar) 2 Bene Gesserit Advisor
Carthag 11 Atreides
Sietch Tabr 13 Emperor (7+3 Sardaukar) 2 Bene Gesserit Fighters
Habbanya 1 Harkonnen (under Storm) 2 Bene Gesserit Advisor(Unflippable)
Tuek 7 Harkonnen 4 Guild 2 Bene Gesserit Advisor

The Atreides know that the Emperor has no Weapons and only Poison Defense... but they move before the BG, and BG advisors block all forts other than Carthag
The Atreides know that Harkonnen has Both Weapons and both Defenses ...
The BG Hold Feyd Rautha Traitor, and Atredies Hold Beast Rabban

The 4 Guild Forces mean nothing, because the Guild's Traitor has alrady been used (Fremen) and the Emperor can easily dial above his maximum leader.

If the Emperor fights the Atreides he requires +7 in troops (impossible)
If the Harkonen fights the Atreides they require 12 going for a tie both leaders killed (impossible, too many in tanks)
However, Atreides is FORCED to move first due to turn order (and BG advisors being everywhere) so they simply take the other 4 Forts
IF BG were Human - It can beat Emperor's stacks with -5 troops (guranteed leader kill since knowledge of no weapon means its safe to voice on enemy defense)
Alternatively - BG can tie the Harkkoen 7 Stack and win with both leaders killed even if they don't get to play Feyd Rautha Traitor

But it's a Bot so instead it deploys to get the spiceblow.

If Atreides had refused the Alliance and played Solo they could have taken the offensive on Emperor's 13 stack (voice isn't neccesary, just notes) but this would still have lost to Emperor Deploying on Arrakeen + moving the Sieth Tabr Force into Carthag.
Without Voice, Atredis could not Beat Harkkon's 7 Stack but could go for a Lasgun Explosion. I decided hoping for intelligent BG play would be less risky since the Turn 5-7 play would have been (7 worm cards left of remaining 20 card deck) to be 2nd strongest when Emperor changes alliances (a 19 Tank Harkonnen with Feyd Rautha dead, 8 Tank Atreides, 17 Tank Guild, or 14 Tank Fremen) - However, at that point I risked the Emperor might well have simply allied Guild for the Turn Limit victory.
The Final alternative of no-alliance Atreides is to split the Carthag/Araakeen 6/6 and hope to beat the empeor with lasgun, but since the Guild had been blocked from buying cards, only 5 would be needed to defend from Guild on Sietch Tabr allowing an Emperor to split 5 / 19 - winning against the Kwisatz+5+6 = 13.

Last edited:

Reality

Learned
Kill Count

Shai-Hulud
(2 Guild)
Natural Storm Movement
(2 Atreides)
Atreides
(3 Emperor, 2 Harkonnen)
Emperor
(2 Bene Gesserit, 4 Atreides)
Fremen
(2 Bene Gesserit, 15 Guild)
Harkonnen
(9 Guild, 8 Atreides, 4 Bene Gesserit)
Guild
(28 Fremen, 7 Bene Gesserit, 18 Harkonnen)

Eadee

Scholar
28 Fremen died to the guild... omg... not few due to Chanis betrayal.
I think we should consider it canon that the remaining Fremen did switch sides with her, only reason I can think of why they would "ally" with the Guild.

Thanks for the AAR Reality I'll just cry a lot and wake up shaken by nightmares about fights against the Guild until we play again.

Gostak

Educated
If you'd want another game consider me being interested to participate. :bounce:
The Atreides note-taking privilege is not enforceable, but other than that still top-notch entertainment value, eh?

Eadee

Scholar
It took me some time because of work n stuff. But I'd also be up for another match. Maybe we should start a new thread to find some people?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom