Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Game News Steam Game Festival, Summer Edition: Demos of upcoming RPGs available from June 16th to 22nd

Urthor

Prophet
Patron
Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
Are any of these not shit

Probably not (okay Iron Oath maybe)

Taka-Haradin puolipeikko

Filthy Kalinite
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Bubbles In Memoria
I think you guys are missing the point here. These aren't your traditional game demos that are released alongside the game in order to entice people to buy the full version. These games aren't out yet.
There were lots of demos during old days that were for games that weren't out yet.

Strange Fellow

Peculiar
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Ostranauts looks like it could be very cool, but the demo is buggy as shit and there's a lot of placeholder/unfinished stuff. Not sure about the social interaction mechanic either. Demo doesn't sell the game or give a proper impression of how it's going to play (but on the strength of NEO Scavenger I'm excited anyway).

Solasta seems cool too, definitely the most polished of the three I've tried. The only real issue with it is the finicky camera. Mechanics, presentation and encounter design are all solid.

The Fellowship Saga on the other hand is barely a tech demo, let alone a slice of a finished game. It's really really very obvious that it was made by a programmer. Not particularly promising, considering how it's supposed to come out this year.

Probably going to at least give Iron Oath and Project Haven a go as well. It's cool that people make demos again, even if it's just for this Steam indie promo thing.

Lilliput McHammersmith

Solasta is dope. Very good turn-based combat, at least so far. Really enjoying it. I have never played ToEE but now maybe I will. That was so much fun.

Nortar

Arcane
Patron
Pathfinder: Wrath
Looks like no one has mentioned it yet.
There's also a demo for Hand of Merlin:

Rogue-lite with overland travel events in a form of CYOA book pages and nuXcom style TB tactical battles.
Even though it looks simplistic and in early(-ish) stages of development, the game has some charm to it.

Stormcrowfleet

Aeon & Star Interactive
Developer
Solasta is dope. Very good turn-based combat, at least so far. Really enjoying it. I have never played ToEE but now maybe I will. That was so much fun.
Just finished it (and also created characters to test it). I agree it's very nice. It did have problems, and I took it to their forum to share them. But overall the system is pretty solid. I hope to see more in the future.

AwesomeButton

Proud owner of BG 3: Day of Swen's Tentacle
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
My picks would be Solasta, Iron Oath, Project Haven, and Vagrus - The Riven Realms.

Parsifarka

Arcane
I was hoping the title would be the worst thing about The Fellowship Saga, but it's made with Unity. Barely playable.

deuxhero

Arcane
Why the hell is it so hard for devs to initalize a game with a capped framerate? Already tried two (The Dungeon of Naheulbeuk: The Amulet of Chaos and Project Haven) and both tried to kill my PC.

Dr Schultz

Augur

100% in agreement on Solata. Setting and art-style are generic and in some cases even poor, but who cares? The combat system and level design alone make the demo worth playing.
This game seems the perfect fix for a squad tactics and dungeon crawler addicted like myself.

Alienman

Retro-Fascist
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Codex Year of the Donut Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Tried 3 demos so far:

Really liked this one. Just seem to got a lot of charm to it. Nice setting, tight plattforming from what I could tell, some interesting mechanics and it has a cute bat friend (not for eating!).

Turn-based tactical with a cyberpunk setting. Projectiles and real line of sight, instead of boardgame nuXcom style of gameplay. Felt really damn nice! Big plus for the sexy Asian lady.

A game I have actually been waiting for, but after playing the demo... I don't know. It seems way too simplistic. There seems to be no positioning in combat, while it actually seems to have an effect. I mean, I like RNG, but I don't understand why that has to be RNG:ed. The only thing I did in the demo was select attack with no regards of where I was or where I would end up being, and attacking was basically the only option. Maybe it gets more involved after a while, but who knows? Otherwise the game looked nice I think, interesting simplistic art-style but I didn't expect the simplicity of it to go for the whole game.

Last edited:

Drowed

Arcane
Some others I've seen comments on the internet that might be interesting (I didn't get to test any, I'm just passing it on):

And maybe Popup Dungeon, but only for reminding me of the time I played Hero Quest with my mates because of the paper look of the game.

Codex 2012 Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
I played Disjunction, and it has a cyberpunkish Dishonored vibe (not Deus Ex though, somehow feels to shallow to compared to that). Lovely pixel art, lots of sneaking and hitting guards with a blackjack. The three missions in the demo are rather simplistic, pretty much tutorial level, but fun nonetheless. Has very light character progression system.

guestposting

Educated
Way of Wrath seems like it could have potential, but it needs a lot more polish. Also could use an editor for the English translation.

guestposting

Educated
vagrus is amazing, fights with javascript like graphix disrupt your cool cyoa experience but its still fine
fabled lands - cyoa in which you can play bard redhead... enough said

The combat in Vagrus isn’t tedious? That was my main complaint with the early build maybe ten months ago.

Lilliput McHammersmith

This Festival is a complete Wall of Shit with Solasta being the only half-decent title on display.
I dunno man, Iron Oath seems pretty sweet too. I'll have to give it another shot when I'm not supposed to be working haha

Lilliput McHammersmith

Surprisingly, a lot of these demos are running pretty well on Proton on Linux. Only Project Haven hasn't run of the ones I have tried.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom