Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

The STEAM Sales and Releases Thread

Machocruz

Arcane
Meh. Wake me when a new Classic RPG Metroidvania Survival Roguelike-lite With RPG Elements comes out. That's the stuff.

LESS T_T

Arcane
Codex 2014
Funny discount:

https://store.steampowered.com/newshub/app/246840/view/2877192080893440588

Leroy's FATE Sale
This weekend grab FATE for 90% off thanks to one of its oldest fans!

A couple of days ago, we were pleasantly reminded that FATE's reach has no age limits. A Redditor, Jedidiah ( _Kaj ) posted his grandpa, Leroy, enjoying his "favorite game of all time." That game was FATE, and we couldn't be happier to get this kind of feedback!

My grandpa, nearly 90 playing his favorite game of all time, Fate

Leroy reminds us that there are no age limits to the enjoyment of games and that they offer comradery for different generations to connect on. We hope to be as lucky as Leroy at the young age of 90. We wish you great fortune in those mystical dungeons, and thank you for playing our favorite game as well.

This weekend we're celebrating the timeless classic for 90% off, so even more of you can find the same enjoyment as Leroy!

Take heed Adventurer, go forth, seek out your fortune, and claim your glory!

Jack Of Owls

Arcane
This is a 2017 Steam release but I rather like the idea, for its novelty if nothing else. Anyone here played it? How's the gameplay, story progression and mechanics? I heard it's hard as balls. "Shigatari is a samurai role-playing game with historical artwork."

Last edited by a moderator:

Baron Dupek

Arcane
Post-apocalyptic Brazil, or as it is also known, Brazil.
Sounds like Boiling Point - Road to Hell
a06.gif
and its protagonist, Saul Myer

The horror...

Naveen

Arcane
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
This is a 2017 Steam release but I rather like the idea, for its novelty if nothing else. Anyone here played it? How's the gameplay, story progression and mechanics? I heard it's hard as balls. "Shigatari is a samurai role-playing game with historical artwork."

Bought it because I was curious. I have defeated three of the seven bosses on my fifth run or so (I was lucky,) but yes, it's not easy. Wouldn't know much about "story progression." You have to defeat seven dojo masters (one at the end of each map region) and, then, I imagine, there will be something else after that. The mechanics are cool. Combat is time-based, meaning all actions take a certain amount of time (usually from 40 to 100 time units,.) You can thrust, slash, dodge, parry, brace (basically, you take the hit with reduced damage,) faint feint, use some items, and change stances (there are seven, each with its own modifiers and quirks.) So, for example, if I see that an enemy is doing a slow attack, if I'm fast enough, I can thrust at his arm to interrupt, but he could be feinting and change direction, in which case I'm screwed (it's useful, if you can afford it, to wait a "heartbeat" to see if the enemy is going to feint because all attacks have two phases and all can be interrupted.)

You can improve your three basic stats: STR, which increases damage and damage resistance, Speed, which makes your attacks faster, and Perception, which helps your character see what body part the enemy is targeting (that's useful because you can defend general areas of your body or the specific body part, which is much faster and efficient.) You can also improve other skills related to your stances and changing weapons (I don't yet understand that very well.)

You play on a map similar to Faster-Than-Light, and you visit towns, farms, waterfalls, shops, mountains (go there to get a free weapon you can upgrade), forest, and temples, and cities, each with its own type of random encounters. Depending on how you play, your character's "morality" changes along three axes, which opens new dialogue options when fighting the dojo masters. Also, all dialogues have the option "Die" which means you initiate combat.

Seems like a good game, really. I don't think I will invest 100 hours or anything like that on it, but I can see myself playing it for 10-20 (or until I get tired of dying.) And it's ridiculously cheap (don't expect great production values, though.)

Ah, yes, you can write poems, and also commit seppuku to gain more honor. That way your next reincarnation will be able to buy more bonuses.

Last edited:

Jack Of Owls

Arcane

Bought it because I was curious. I have defeated three of the seven bosses on my fifth run or so (I was lucky,) but yes, it's not easy. Wouldn't know much about "story progression." You have to defeat seven dojo masters (one at the end of each map region) and, then, I imagine, there will be something else after that. The mechanics are cool. Combat is time-based, meaning all actions take a certain amount of time (usually from 40 to 100 time units,.) You can thrust, slash, dodge, parry, brace (basically, you take the hit with reduced damage,) faint, use some items, and change stances (there are seven, each with its own modifiers and quirks.) So, for example, if I see that an enemy is doing a slow attack, if I'm fast enough, I can thrust at his arm to interrupt, but he could be fainting and change direction, in which case I'm screwed (it's useful, if you can afford it, to wait a "heartbeat" to see if the enemy is going to feint because all attacks have two phases and all can be interrupted.)

You can improve your three basic stats: STR, which increases damage and damage resistance, Speed, which makes your attacks faster, and Perception, which helps your character see what body part the enemy is targeting (that's useful because you can defend general areas of your body or the specific body part, which is much faster and efficient.) You can also improve other skills related to your stances and changing weapons (I don't yet understand that very well.)

You play on a map similar to Faster-Than-Light, and you visit towns, farms, waterfalls, shops, mountains (go there to get a free weapon you can upgrade), forest, and temples, and cities, each with its own type of random encounters. Depending on how you play, your character's "morality" changes along three axes, which opens new dialogue options when fighting the dojo masters. Also, all dialogues have the option "Die" which means you initiate combat.

Seems like a good game, really. I don't think I will invest 100 hours or anything like that on it, but I can see myself playing it for 10-20 (or until I get tired of dying.) And it's ridiculously cheap (don't expect great production values, though.)

Ah, yes, you can write poems, and also commit seppuku to gain more honor. That way your next reincarnation will be able to buy more bonuses.

Thanks for the review, brother. I had a chuckle when I read the last line of the game's description on Steam: "Get wasted on sake and visit a kagema." :lol:

Ironmonk

Augur

This reminded me of this upcoming game:

About This Game
Tale of Ronin is a game about the human side of the Samurai. Live as a Ronin, survive the consequences of your choices in a dynamic world of turmoil and violence. An RPG game about camaraderie and betrayal, about war and peace, and above all honor.
Features
  • A dynamic world to explore and create your own story as a free Ronin.
  • Focus on the human side of the Samurai and the role of their personal emotions in their adventures and combat.
  • Simultaneous turn-based combat system that includes the details of Katana swordsmanship.
  • Sekai System, you die, the world lives: play the story of a new Ronin in the same world after each death.
  • Unique traditional Sumi-e art style providing a hand painted inky look and feel.
  • A world setting standing on a fine line between reality and fantasy.

gerey

Arcane
Zionist Agent

This reminded me of this upcoming game:

About This Game
Tale of Ronin is a game about the human side of the Samurai. Live as a Ronin, survive the consequences of your choices in a dynamic world of turmoil and violence. An RPG game about camaraderie and betrayal, about war and peace, and above all honor.
Features
  • A dynamic world to explore and create your own story as a free Ronin.
  • Focus on the human side of the Samurai and the role of their personal emotions in their adventures and combat.
  • Simultaneous turn-based combat system that includes the details of Katana swordsmanship.
  • Sekai System, you die, the world lives: play the story of a new Ronin in the same world after each death.
  • Unique traditional Sumi-e art style providing a hand painted inky look and feel.
  • A world setting standing on a fine line between reality and fantasy.

Both remind me of what the Usagi Yojimbo C64 game was supposed to be like (from the Wikipedia article):

The game was originally envisioned as a much larger, open world experience, but due to the hardware and memory limitations of the Commodore 64, for which it was originally developed, numerous features had to be cut from the final product.

Paul Kidd and Russel Comte originally wrote a much larger script for the game, which would see Usagi be able to traverse through many multiple paths and lead to entirely different adventures and endings. In the design documents for the game, characters and situations are detailed such as mole ninjas surfacing out of the soil, a side quest rescuing an innocent villager being dragged by a stampeding horse and numerous activities such as gambling and dialogue sequences in the town sections of the game.

Likewise, the karma system was downscaled into a simplistic numeric system which acted as an onscreen counter that led Usagi to commit suicide if it fell under 0. In the original game design documents, karma was envisioned as a more fulfilled reputation system, which would affect the NPCs' views and actions towards Usagi.[2]

Curratum

What is worth buying from the Realms Deep sale? Except Blood ofc.

Dusk is a definite buy at 10 eur.
So is Amid Evil, probably even more so than Dusk.

Ion Fury is ok, but I'd wait for 50% off or more, definitely not on the same level as the other two.
Stay away from Wrath, it might turn out ok but it has very little content in it at the moment and it's not great content.

Theodora

Arcane
Patron
Glory to Ukraine

Wow, it's gorgeous.

LESS T_T, thanks for the heads up on Tormented Souls, Stolen Realm, and Paws on the Sand. Even that version of Mahjong kinda pulls me if I'm honest, lol.

Only futa allowed because that's only 20% gay

Of course I see "Trap", and then I see "Jonathan". :pensive:

New WH40k/Necromunda title on pre-sale:

Another of New Blood's old school shooters just out in EA, and on sale:

Two of their more established titles at 40% off individually, or 46% as a bundle:

God Bless New Blood.

LESS T_T

Arcane
Codex 2014
Looks like Frontier v. Atari payment dispute went somewhere.

RollerCoaster Tycoon 3 will be back on Steam, self-published by Frontier.

Voids

Augur
Looks like Frontier v. Atari payment dispute went somewhere.

RollerCoaster Tycoon 3 will be back on Steam, self-published by Frontier.

I've never played any of the rollercoaster tycoon games. Is this the 'one to get' or is that 2?

El Presidente

Arcane
I've never played any of the rollercoaster tycoon games. Is this the 'one to get' or is that 2?

I have all three plus Planet Coaster, I enjoy all of them a lot, but I only have RCT1 cause it's the one I grew up with, so it's a matter of nostalgia. You can probably skip it and grab 2, as it's somewhat of an updated RCT1 and makes for the best 2D park builder.

As for RCT3 vs Planet Coaster on the best 3D park builder, that's a whole new can of worms. I'm not entirely sure if Planet Coaster replaces RCT3. My understanding is that Planet Coaster focuses more on the simulation and customization aspects while RCT3 focuses more on management and gamey aspects, such as scenario objectives and so on.

Also, IIRC, RCT3 is way better than Planet Coaster if you want to build water parks.

jebsmoker

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here Strap Yourselves In I helped put crap in Monomyth
some highly obscure american civil war wargame got re-released on steam today. it's from 1995, so it uses dosbox:

Last edited by a moderator:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom