Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

The STEAM Sales and Releases Thread

Zombra

An iron rock in the river of blood and evil
Patron
Make the Codex Great Again! RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
some highly obscure american civil war wargame got re-released on steam today.
the military-industrial complex in collusion with trump is clearly laying the psychosocial groundwork for Civil War II among flyover gamer culture get ready preppers

Beowulf

Arcane

Less than ten dollar, the poor reviews kept me from buying prpeviously.

The game still has some issues and lacks multiplayer quality of life features that you'd expect as standard, but it is a decent game to scratch that purging itch.
The campaign is so-so, but MP is fun and still alive.

LESS T_T

Arcane
Codex 2014
This is one of the only two games Ubisoft released on Steam this year. Well it's not a game.

Well it was premature to say "only two", here's the third Ubisoft game. Yes, it's VR.

ss_e49ec7525974e9fee6d20e23ae48d0b0309e19d0.600x338.jpg
ss_ba1ba6c9449b99c6d0dc9cc90717e5bf4ad235d3.600x338.jpg

They really don't have choice when it comes to VR I guess.

And on an unrelated note, here's another retro FPS that was shown at the 3D Realms show. Feels a bit more like Doom 3:

Sjukob

Arcane

Beat'em'up that heavily copies SoR series. It can't compare to the remake, but the gameplay is generally solid. The combat is very combo oriented, there's no such thing as single strong hits, so you always have to look for the opportunity to launch and combo crowds to death. Despite what the trailer shows there are actually 4 playable characters, and with the exception of one, they are pretty well balanced between each other. The difficulty is on the easier the side, if you're used to playing SoRR or just arcade beat'em'ups in general you wouldn't find the game hard, it tries to bite, but having strong kit on player's side and almost complete lack of bullshit (enemies can sometimes attack off screen and bosses break out of combos, that's it) makes for the rather one sided battles. Aside from arcade mode, which you can complete in about 2 hours or less, there are also challenge and survival modes, coop supports 2 players. The game has somewhat heavy controls that might take time getting used to, but I've felt the same way when I played SoRR for the first time, the visuals might be confusing, sometimes there are way too many explosions occuring at once and you might not see clearly what's happening on the screen. If you like arcade beat'em'ups, it's very likely that you will like The TakeOver, it's an enjoyable game, which sadly doesn't bring anything new to the genre and repeats same old mistakes that I've described in my other reviews. Oh yes, the soundtrack is pretty cool, they even got Yuzo Koshiro to make something for the game. Don't ask me how this compares to SoR4 I haven't played it.

Last edited:

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
List of games at the PAX Online "virtual show floor" (likely to have free demos on Steam): https://www.paxegx.com/games

Notable titles:
  • BLACK BOOK
  • BROKEN ROADS
  • DISJUNCTION
  • GAMEDEC
  • OPERENCIA: THE STOLEN SUN
  • SOLASTA: CROWN OF THE MAGISTER
  • STONESHARD
  • SUZERAIN
  • THE HAND OF MERLIN
  • THE LEGEND OF HEROES: TRAILS OF COLD STEEL IV
  • THIS STARRY VOID
  • UNDUNGEON
  • WEREWOLF: THE APOCALYPSE - HEART OF THE FOREST
  • YAKUZA: LIKE A DRAGON

Last edited:

LESS T_T

Arcane
Codex 2014
Crystal Caves remake by Apogee:

ss_20619ecbadc8c6659baab182581740b60d79059c.600x338.jpg
ss_df6edc275c2a83e312d549151869e1b6cb70673e.600x338.jpg

The best miner in the Galaxy is back! Revisit the 3 original episodes in spectacular HD and guide Mylo through a brand new episode featuring new enemies, break away platforms and new biomes! Ramp up the excitement and compete against your friends on the online leaderboards, collect all 32 achievements and because we’re old school developers, there’s a Secret Level that’s quite revealing! Need even more adventure, well no problem, we are including a new in-game level editor via Steam Workshop so you can create as many new adventures you want and share them with everyone!

mylo-overworld.gif

cc-steam-features.png

• Help Mylo get that burger joint all over again by guiding him through the original 3 episodes in HD!
  • All new achievements will have you competing for that top position of the online leaderboard!
  • Unearth exciting adventures in the all new Crystal Caves Episode, with challenging puzzles, action oriented hazards and rewards, featuring sandworms, break away platforms and much more!
  • Be the first to earn all the achievements including discovering the “Secret of the Volcano”!
  • Challenge your friends to beat your own adventures using our built-in level editor from the Steam Workshop
  • New Difficulty levels, Cloud Saves, New OST in the classic style and finally get that damn hard crystal!

cc-steam-remastered.png

Modernizing the visuals of a classic game in HD in the mind of a gamer isn’t enough. A true remastering of a classic game must mean preserving everything that made the original game challenging, fun and addictive, well we did this and more with Crystal Caves by incorporating a new vibrant color pallet to the not only the gameplay action but the storyboard elements as well.

cc-comparison-old-new-2.gif

cc-comparison-old-new.gif

cc-steam-level-editor.png

Let’s not forget about YOU being able to use all of these new assets that include interactive environment tiles to build your own adventure as well! With our easy to learn level editor, you will be designing your own crazy adventures and be able to share them with your friends, and even put in yet another impossibly hard to get crystal!

level-editor-preview.gif

Stop reading about the fun and get busy having fun!
ico-mylo-2.png

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
List of games at the PAX Online "virtual show floor" (likely to have free demos on Steam): https://www.paxegx.com/games

Notable titles:
  • BLACK BOOK
  • BROKEN ROADS
  • DISJUNCTION
  • GAMEDEC
  • OPERENCIA: THE STOLEN SUN
  • SOLASTA: CROWN OF THE MAGISTER
  • STONESHARD
  • SUZERAIN
  • THE HAND OF MERLIN
  • THE LEGEND OF HEROES: TRAILS OF COLD STEEL IV
  • THIS STARRY VOID
  • UNDUNGEON
  • WEREWOLF: THE APOCALYPSE - HEART OF THE FOREST
  • YAKUZA: LIKE A DRAGON

Steam page: https://store.steampowered.com/sale/paxonline

Sjukob

Arcane
I don't like to talk about games without having a good understanding of them, but here I just can't help but to recommend staying away from this product.

As I see it, the game has one thing that is responsible for all of it's difficulty - parry mechanic. You can't really defend yourself without relying on parry, the special attack's cooldown is too long so it can not serve as your primary defense option, besides you have to use it if you want to deal big damage and you will really need that big damage, especially if you are dealing with bosses.

You can use your special even if it's still recharging, but that will cost you health, a good portion of health depending on how empty your bar is. Successfully parrying an attack allows you to acess your special immediately but there's more to that, you do not have an invulnerability window after getting up from a knockdown and enemies will aggressively try to kick your ass as you get up, so most of the time your wake up options are: parry as you get up or sacrifise some of your health to use your special.

A lot of advanced enemies are designed in such a way that they try to outrange/outfootsie you: they keep their distance, they move faster than you, their attack range is bigger, they have special or anti-air attacks that come with invulnerability frames etc, but you can completely negate all of that bullshit if you let them attack you first and then parry them, but what if you fail? Well, if they manage to catch you, their combos can deal up to 50% of your health (or even more if several of them decide to juggle you), of course you can break out of combos, but can you guess how to do it? Right, you either parry or sacrifice more of your health to use special attack. And finaly a lot of attacks are multihit and parrying does not stugger/interrupt enemies, so even if you are sucessfull with your parries you can still be harmed by the next hit during multihit attack or just be attacked by any enemy during the very same moment you parry something.

So as you can see, parry is not a mechanic that you call "a cherry on top", it's downright crucial for you survival, I don't know about you, but I simply don't have patience to learn timing for every attack in the game just to be able to defend myself (sure, you can run around and wait for your special to recharge, but where's fun in that?) and not lose anywhere between 30-100% of my life bar each time I make a mistake, especially when action in this game is very chaotic and most of the attacks are untelegraphed. Feels like the game wants to be hard for the sake of being hard.

LESS T_T

Arcane
Codex 2014
The Dragoness: Command of the Flame, HoMM-inspired roguelite:

ss_8c972260ae63136d772d631276fc9fb8a209c651.600x338.jpg
ss_29105b80179b358e75c323a4c20ed333b70a955a.600x338.jpg

Metroidvania? No, Slavania:

ss_87706f2646b520e9dc175a923f514a29a117d3a8.600x338.jpg
ss_29609bcacc614e972565844eac8e9b1e8a41174b.600x338.jpg

Viking City Builder, yet another historical city builder with realistic graphics made by a lone developer:

ss_571de9973c324310198b38067957f1a9f867b4a5.600x338.jpg
ss_5ec6224fd3c023b0f5ff7a1867ba948067166908.600x338.jpg

lightbane

Arcane
While Steam randomly censors VN games because they hate cute girls, while allowing hideous gay and/or furry games with little issues, this game somehow is now available in Steam. It's also an actually fun game to boot! A gamepad is highly recommended though.

lightbane

Arcane
Not believing me, Infinitron? You can check this list then for a thorough explanation.
https://archive.vn/tuFxu

Oddly enough this succ game was allowed, even though rape is the central part of the game, nevermind the other incoming succubus games from Libra Heart where raping guys is an actual mechanic. We'll see what happens.

Ie: Six Spells.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom